Balanced -- Bit Still Clinging to SE
Jul 16, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 46
wink.gif
One can always use EQ to get a different sound.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you speak for a lot of us. The need for variety is a fact of head-life. And you're right about multiple high-end headphones. They're a cost effective way of introducing variety into the lineup without sacrificing quality. The bottom line is that HP-swapping is a fraction of the cost of amp-swapping. I've kept my HPs and don't see selling them for precisely this reason. I'll bet a lot of others are doing the same.

Interesting comment re electrostatics. I keep looking over the fence at that grass, too. I don't know if it's greener, but it's definitely different. In fact, I was following the recent eBay bidding on the Omega II with much interest. But when it drew closer to the $3,000 mark, I decided it was too much.

As a loyal Headroom customer you should check this out:

http://www.headphone.com/products/b-stock

STAX SRM-717 w/SR303 EarSpeakers
(HR demo unit - Amp is LIKE-NEW!) - $1,899

You could get a an Omega II or SR-4070 down the line and enjoy the SR-303 with a nice amp until then.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #18 of 46
That is called FOTM (flavor of the month) syndrome....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
One can always use EQ to get a different sound.
wink.gif

LOL! You're probably right. But that's no fun. It's too simple, too easy, and too cheap. We're all Rube Goldberg fanatics, here. If it ain't expensive, complex, and rare, it's no good.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think different is often viewed as better because we grow tired of the prior component or setup, but in time realize that different is not better but merely necessary for the sake of variety. i think it is a good idea to invest in a high quality balanced amp, but i also think you will enjoy it more if you own a few balanced headphones, so you are not always listening to the music from the same perspective. i own 6 headphones and my constant switching among them keeps things interesting. having multiple high end amps is taking things a step further, but is not very economical. i think if i ever did purchase another amp, it would have to be something very different to justify the cost, such as an electrostatic one.

I appreciate the heads up from you and Feifan on the whole concept of needing to keep the sound fresh. I'm new enough to headphone set ups that I'd never even considered that I'd get tired of a certain sound signature, especially regarding amps. My original foray into high end audio was with a full speaker rig and I never got to the point of getting tired of that set up.

I have obtained a couple of pairs of high end balanced headphones--the Edition 9s and the Senn 650. The potential problem I find right now is that I don't know where else to go without getting into the out of production and very expensive top tier headphones. (Well right now this is a theoretical issue only as after the Supra I don't have funds for any new headphone--well maybe another set of KSC-75s.)

With the Edition 9s I have aquired a certain level of refinement of sound that makes it harder to go to a lesser level headphone. The Senn 650 balanced, as good as it is, just cuts it as a sound variety for me. But the Edition 9 remains my primary listening headphone. At one point I thought I might like the Grado GS-1000, but that was before having the Edition 9s.

I'm sure I could enjoy balanced PS-1s, Qualias, HE90s, and R-10s but those are all a very expensive proposition. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Senn 700 will be a worthy addition to high end headphones.

Right now I have the ATH-AD2000 for audition, which prior to the Edition 9s would have been a very good headphone. Now it's hard to not focus on what I know is there that is missing from the AD2000 presentation.

I suppose as issues go, this is not the worst delimena to have. So I am grateful for what I do have to listen to. And this whole concept is making me feel better about the extra expense of going with a tube amp due to the tube rolling options to change the sound signature.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a loyal Headroom customer you should check this out:

http://www.headphone.com/products/b-stock

STAX SRM-717 w/SR303 EarSpeakers
(HR demo unit - Amp is LIKE-NEW!) - $1,899

You could get a an Omega II or SR-4070 down the line and enjoy the SR-303 with a nice amp until then.

Man, that's a tempting path. I keep reading rumors that the pre-Omega IIs lack bass so I'm thinking it's Omega II or nada at all. Still, the temptation to scratch the electrostatic itch is pretty intense. I wonder if Staxers at the top of the electrostatic chain are content that they've found the holy grail of head-fidom. Or are they continually sniffing around like the rest of us?

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is called FOTM (flavor of the month) syndrome....
rolleyes.gif

Methinks "flavor" in FOTM hits too close to home. Too much of anything, even good food and wine, gets tiresome. As Vcoheda says, it's not so much the need for quality as for variety. Lotta truth to this -- otherwise we'd keep listening to the same CDs over and over again and never look for anything different.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate the heads up from you and Feifan on the whole concept of needing to keep the sound fresh. I'm new enough to headphone set ups that I'd never even considered that I'd get tired of a certain sound signature, especially regarding amps. My original foray into high end audio was with a full speaker rig and I never got to the point of getting tired of that set up.

I have obtained a couple of pairs of high end balanced headphones--the Edition 9s and the Senn 650. The potential problem I find right now is that I don't know where else to go without getting into the out of production and very expensive top tier headphones. (Well right now this is a theoretical issue only as after the Supra I don't have funds for any new headphone--well
maybe another set of KSC-75s.)

With the Edition 9s I have aquired a certain level of refinement of sound that makes it harder to go to a lesser level headphone. The Senn 650 balanced, as good as it is, just cuts it as a sound variety for me. But the Edition 9 remains my primary listening headphone. At one point I thought I might like the Grado GS-1000, but that was before having the Edition 9s.

I'm sure I could enjoy balanced PS-1s, Qualias, HE90s, and R-10s but those are all a very expensive proposition. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Senn 700 will be a worthy addition to high end headphones.

Right now I have the ATH-AD2000 for audition, which prior to the Edition 9s would have been a very good headphone. Now it's hard to not focus on what I know is there that is missing from the AD2000 presentation.

I suppose as issues go, this is not the worst delimena to have. So I am grateful for what I do have to listen to. And this whole concept is making me feel better about the extra expense of going with a tube amp due to the tube rolling options to change the sound signature.

ultrasone_front.jpg

ultrasone2.jpg

http://www.ultrasoneusa.com/edition9.html

The Ultrasone Edition 9 is definitely in the FOTM ballpark at $1500. Danged expensive, but still within reach. (But not for me, right now.) It doesn't look $500 better than the GS1K, but it must be if it lives up to the "best" and "ultimate" raves.

But, yeah, the question remains, where do you go from there? Heck, most of us are still struggling trying get where you are now. We'll worry about that when we arrive.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #24 of 46
those are two very nice pics of the ed.9. i love the mirror finish on the enclosures. and a smart move to make the cable detachable for quick switching between single ended and balanced. my only complaint, look wise, is that they fold. it makes them look a bit cheap. it's like the new denons. how they terminate with 1/8 inch plugs. i can't get past that. it just screams out low/mid-fi.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smart move to make the cable detachable for quick switching between single ended and balanced.

The double-sided cable on stock Edition 9's is permanently attached. That is to say, not intended to be removed by the user. Unlike the Prolines, which is single-sided & user replaceable. Quote:

my only complaint,...how they terminate with 1/8 inch plugs. i can't get past that. it just screams out low/mid-fi.

The top Ultrasones (including the 2500/750's) are terminated with a 1/4" plug for home-amp use. A 1/4"-1/8" adapter is supplied for plugging into your iPod. FYI.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The double-sided cable on stock Edition 9's is permanently attached. That is to say, not intended to be removed by the user. Unlike the Prolines, which is single-sided & user replaceable.

i see. thanks for the clarification. i guess sennheiser really is the only smart headphone company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The top Ultrasones (including the 2500/750's) are terminated with a 1/4" plug for home-amp use. A 1/4"-1/8" adapter is supplied for plugging into your iPod. FYI.

i was referring to the denons here. but thanks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

The Ultrasone Edition 9 is definitely in the FOTM ballpark at $1500. Danged expensive, but still within reach. (But not for me, right now.) It doesn't look $500 better than the GS1K, but it must be if it lives up to the "best" and "ultimate" raves.

But, yeah, the question remains, where do you go from there? Heck, most of us are still struggling trying get where you are now. We'll worry about that when we arrive.

Why the insistanse in everysingle thread an Ultrasone is mentioned, in bringing "grandpa" heapdhones for comparison???
confused.gif
I do not get it...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Probably it doesn't "look" 500$ better, but hey, looks is not the main thing here, is the sound, and it sounds a lot better (and IMO it looks also better)...but what do I know???
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I balanced my home system (speakers system) with my own balance type of wiring, which is better imo than the conventional type (higher quality and better separation) the sound took off. People would sit in front of the speakers and just say "wow" and then enjoy the music as they pointed to where everyone was that was playing an intrument or singing (if well recorded).

i am noticing an amazing difference on my speakers too, better imaging and depth.

on headphones all balanced all the time can be alittle intense, its losses some decay length and for mellow music i sometime find the slightly more slurred and blended single ended sound is richer. but im also finding the bass overall deeper while running balanced.

the change is as easy as plugging a single ended headphone cord into the balanced amp though, no worries.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Man, that's a tempting path. I keep reading rumors that the pre-Omega IIs lack bass so I'm thinking it's Omega II or nada at all. Still, the temptation to scratch the electrostatic itch is pretty intense. I wonder if Staxers at the top of the electrostatic chain are content that they've found the holy grail of head-fidom. Or are they continually sniffing around like the rest of us?

My old SR-Lambda had a nice bit of bass. It's been about four or five months since I've had a Stax amp so I've forgotten the exact sound. I can imagine I'll still be reaching for my A900LTD when I want more bass.

I have a feeling the ATs will become my everyday/beater headphone but I'm certain that some types of music just have to be heard on Stax though (vocals).

I think I'm nearing my end head-fi rig, I just have to figure out which Stax earspeaker(s) are my favorite. Ideally I would like to have the ATs and one or two Stax earpeakers.

I think the Ultimate would be SR-4070s, OIIs, and (whatever amp works best with each) but that's just based on what other people have said on this fourm. The Lambda and SRM-007t has actually been my favorite sound to date. I've never heard a GES before but my guess is that combining a Woo GES and a Lambda type earspeaker would not be a bad idea either.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Why the insistanse in everysingle thread an Ultrasone is mentioned, in bringing "grandpa" heapdhones for comparison???
confused.gif
I do not get it...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I've heard the same for Beyers, and I don't get it either.

Quote:

Probably it doesn't "look" 500$ better, but hey, looks is not the main thing here, is the sound, and it sounds a lot better (and IMO it looks also better)...but what do I know???
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Agreed. Bottom line's the sound. My shortcoming, here. I guess I expect to see exotic wood or K1000-type earspeakers. From this perspective, the Omega IIs don't look better than $1000, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back