Balanced 2.5mm through adapter = loss in SQ? daps with 3.5&2.5 balanced outputs
May 23, 2017 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EGO DEATH

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for great dap with both 3.5 and 2.5 balanced out, unless using an adapter doesn't decrease SQ, in which case please suggest adapter female 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm. On ebay I've seen a fiio one for 10 bucks, generic L shaped ones with different a&k daps in the title for 30-45 usd, and of there's the AOL 179 cable, give me you opinions, what will I get for my money on these?

I don't know sheer a dap having both 3.5 and a 2.5 balanced out translates into inherent compromises, at this point I don't care about anything but SQ and expandable storage capacity build quality, then comes the battery, which is preferably changeable and of high quality, customise ability of software the indexing/file management system.

You would my gratitude, preferred price range is 0-350 usd/euro but feel free to mention higher if you only know or for reasons unknown to me find it important.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Balanced outs in most things is overrated in my opinion have yet to hear a big difference.i have only one balanced amp and that is a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it sounds the same to me on balanced as single ended just that the power is doubled on balanced yes I have volume matched that with a calibrated mic.

May 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 10
If you really don't care about anything but SQ, then I'd recommend getting the Aune M1s. It's purely dedicated for SQ, with 3.5 and 2.5-mm output. 11 hours battery. Tough build quality. For now, it has up to 128 GB of storage (perhaps 256 GB in the future). You can play all music in storage, and create a favourite playlist, but most of the time you can only listen per folder. It boots super-fast, but has no album cover, wifi, bluetooth, etc. It's an audio player with the best price-to-performance IMO. Quiet background, with a highly transparent sound

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Why do I have so much trouble finding a 2.5mm female balanced to a 3.5mm Male? I've ordered 4 and all only play in the right side headset. Please tell me what aIm doing wrong and how to correct it (which adapter?)
Thank you

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 10
Why do I have so much trouble finding a 2.5mm female balanced to a 3.5mm Male? I've ordered 4 and all only play in the right side headset. Please tell me what aIm doing wrong and how to correct it (which adapter?)
Thank you
That is because the pinouts are so much different and needs to be a custom job or someone that knows what they are doing. Are you looking for a 2.5mm balanced to a 3.5mm balanced adapter?

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 10
That probably should work as like I said the pin out is different. A 2.5 balanced connector is tip R+ the next sleeve is R-, L +and L- and a 3.5 is tip L+ and ring R+ and the sleeve both negatives so probably why most others failed you.

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 10
I do a bit of building but mostly for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back