Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #616 of 643
I find more myself more impressed with the musical enjoyment and immersion of the DAC as time goes on.

Usually the opposite happens when you've gotten over the honeymoon period of a new DAC.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #617 of 643
I find more myself more impressed with the musical enjoyment and immersion of the DAC as time goes on.

Usually the opposite happens when you've gotten over the honeymoon period of a new DAC.
I agree, one get used to new equipment after a certain period of time.
I will give the DAC-21 a listen through the cinch-out first and will describe my impressions during the upcoming w/e. I am really looking forward to it.

Best Regards,
Hi-Head

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #619 of 643
I don't think the HPA and DAC 21 duo can be beat at it's price.

The DAC-21 is worth the full retail price. In actuality, it was priced too low by Bakoon.

As the reviewer Paul Rigby would say, the music is there. It's always been there waiting to be discovered.

The HPA and DAC-21 remove all of that noise, so you can hear the music.

If they were components running off AC, you'd have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get rid of that noise.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #622 of 643
Hi there,

I purchased a while back the bakoon HPA-21 amplifier with Mrspeakers Ether Flow C headphones from jean-luc.
And they sound very good together on current mode.

I want to although have opened cans.
I'm trying to see if the HPA-21 on current mode is sufficient enough to drive the JPS LAB 1266 Abyss Phi.
Current mode seems to be less powerful than voltage mode.

What do you think ?

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #624 of 643
True to my life more generally, I've joined a club that no one's a member of anymore.

1110147.jpg1110158.jpg

Mar 20, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #627 of 643
Yes, it’s an outstanding headphone amp that few know about.

Only reason I no longer use it is because I switched over to speakers.
I bought it on a whim, though I had read about it before. And I'm glad I did - easily the best SS amp I've heard. The pairing with the Kennerton Rögnir leaves me completely satisfied.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #629 of 643
I have one too. Love it very much. I just wish it could play while charging, however…
That would indeed render it optimal. Having said that, I get a good 7 hours of battery and after that period, either need a break of can move to another amp. I have the baby Bakoon, the Bakoon HPA-01M, which pairs beautifully with the Hugo 2 or Mojo 2 for trans-portable action. I actually saw HPA-01 - the mid-tier member - the other day. Tempted to get it to complete the set, but probably expendable.

Anyway, great, great amp. My love for it has only increased. It's true, it's picky and really only works on some dynamic and planar headphones, but when the pairing is good - as with Kennerton Rognir - then it's *really* good. I am now pairing with a Qutest connected via Silver Dragon RCAs and have no desire at all to change my system.

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #630 of 643
I still use a Bakoon HPA-01 that I got on Massdrop some years back. With planar phones these amps are peerless. The sound bears the clarity and present sound of tube amps but with ultra low distortion.

I gather none of the headphone amps are produced any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back