Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #571 of 643
Hi, 

I'm currently driving my HD800 straight out of my Hugo. I love it, but I often think of adding a full size amp. I've narrowed it down to the Bakoon HPA-21 and the Moon 430HA, and was wondering if anyone had experience with both. I do want to add some lush emotionality to the HD800's but retain transparency and detail. I really value "take you there" holographic imaging with a large soundstage. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #572 of 643
Not sure the HD800 plays well with HPA-21. 

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #575 of 643
Anyone heard their brand new DAC-21 ?

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #577 of 643
vert,

Why not enquire from Bakoon about purchasing a replacement battery pack for your HPA-21? I recollect that the battery pack is literally a plug 'n' play replacement easily changed by owners. I can PM you a named person in Bakoon to email if you're interested in this option, so please let me know. :)   

Quote:
  Has anyone compared this to the HPA-01? Is it identical sounding?

It has 10 hours battery life which is appealing. My unit is lasting 3-4 hours now.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #578 of 643

Andy, thanks for the tip. I've contacted Bakoon to see what they have to say. It would be great if it's plug and play.

I'm amazed at the discounts new and second hand Bakoon products are selling for.

I would love to get 8-10hours of playback time though. Even if I get tired after 3-4 hours of listening, it's nice to know you can keep listening without a recharge. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #580 of 643
It looks like US dealer support is lacking for Bakoon.

I didn't get any help with the replacement batteries from any US dealers.

I have to send it to Bakoon in Korea or wait until they come out to California.

This is obviously disconcerting for any current Bakoon owners or anyone looking to buy a Bakoon product.

I consider their headphone amp to be reference, and this is not the kind of support I expect from a world class product.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #581 of 643
Pardon me, but this post utterly contradicts what you've previously written in #579 about receiving help from StereoDesk and Night Audio. So what's your point exactly?!?

It looks like US dealer support is lacking for Bakoon.

I didn't get any help with the replacement batteries from any US dealers.

I have to send it to Bakoon in Korea or wait until they come out to California.

This is obviously disconcerting for any current Bakoon owners or anyone looking to buy a Bakoon product.

I consider their headphone amp to be reference, and this is not the kind of support I expect from a world class product.

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #582 of 643
Pardon me, but this post utterly contradicts what you've previously written in #579 about receiving help from StereoDesk and Night Audio. So what's your point exactly?!?

There was no follow through from those US dealers. I should delete that post.

Only option is to send to Korea or wait until Bakoon comes out to California.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #583 of 643
Sorry to hear this as dealers should really offer aftercare for brands they represent. I'll PM you the email address of my Bakoon contact as he's a really nice and helpful guy, as I'm pretty sure that you can buy a replacement battery pack directly from Bakoon.  

Quote:

There was no follow through from those US dealers. I should delete that post.

Only option is to send to Korea or wait until Bakoon comes out to California.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #584 of 643
  I'm not Candude, but I can try to help answer your questions.

This kind of comment is a distraction.  Reviews, including some by industry knowledgeable pros, and whose links have been posted throughout this thread, have consistently been nothing but sterling, with the HPA-21 comparing very favorably to whatever amp(s) the reviewer has on hand, including the high end Leben CS300 that I assume you're alluding to.  I would think that sort of uniform review criteria would certainly warrant placement in the upper echelon of current headphone amplifier offerings, i.e. "one of the best".  I myself have compared it to the EAR HP4, Cavalli Liquid Fire and Burson Soloist, and remain a staunch proponent of the Bakoon at its cost point. 

I've got both HPA21 and Cavalli in my listening room. Frankly, apart floor noise which is stellar with Bakoon, musically, differences are minimal.

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #585 of 643
HPA-21 has been mainstay in my system. 

Grounding my DAC with a top of the line Entreq box and cable has made a huge difference.

Luckily, the HPA runs on batteries so no expensive grounding necessary there.

I'm tempted to try a couple of headphone amps out there, but they would require expensive power cords and grounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back