Baffled by Stax
Apr 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:
So true, Spritzer, high price does not mean high sonic quality yet most folks believe that it does.  For many, it is impossible to believe that a much less expensive unit, or one with a less "legendary" name, can be as good.  

yes but we must not generalize.
is also true that when the price goes up, not always the quality increase in the same way

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:
I see a lot of posts about Amps for the SR-009s but hardly any about DACs pairings.  Is it worth it to invest a lot of money into a quality DAC if your source is a desktop computer with FLAC files and your amp is something like a BHSE?

This is a very important issue. Doesnt matter how good that can be our amplifier or our earphones, if the signal from the DAC is not good
 This usually occurs because of the recordings or by a DAC that is not at the level of needs.

Cheers

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #48 of 60
Just ordered a BHSE and SR-009 so have a few months to wait until I get to join the stats world.

Anyone have any DAC recommendations that synergize well with this combo?  Prefer USB as my system is a PC.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #49 of 60
I dont know the sinergize with BHSE, but I have an AudioNote DAC 3.1x with GES and SR-009 and this set up is fantastic. I'm selling  -or trading- the AN because I have a Linn Majik DS streamer -via Airplay from my PC or iDevices- and the Linn DAC is also superb. Anyway I think the AudioNote is better but I want to afford Cavalli LL mkII or WES...

There are some USB-SPDIF converters like Hiface M2tech or Matrix USB-SPDIF and they work fantastic. Is not neccesary a specific USB DAC if you have a PC source.

My definitive system -until 2016 when I've read the new Stax comes
dt880smile.png
- will be based of Linn streamer / electrostatic amp & SR-009. Enought for me...

Cheers

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #50 of 60
Also have SR-009 & BHSE combo on order, and looking for proper DAC in meantime.
AudioNote DAC 3.1 looks nice, but as I understand they ship in parts and you have to assemble the DAC yourself? Note that we're speaking about $2k device.

This quote from their FAQ just blows my mind

Q: Do I need technical knowledge to assemble my kit?
Our manuals clearly set out each part assembly in a very easy to follow and clear way with detailed text and accurate diagrams. It really is join the dots. All you need is some solder and a soldering iron, and you are good to go. It can be useful to have access to a volt meter as well. Most of our kits can be assembled in 10 hours, though we recommend splitting the process up into 3 or 4 sessions

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

AudioNote DAC 3.1 looks nice, but as I understand they ship in parts and you have to assemble the DAC yourself? Note that we're speaking about $2k device.

There are two purchase options in DACs and amplifiers. You can buy the models in parts either already assembled, as any other brand. My model is original from factory and it is not from a kit, I can not therefore serve as helpful.

My technical skills are limited, but I think you need at least a some initial knowledge. Anyway I post you a couple pictures from inside of my AN 3.1x if it can help you decide. In this case the model has been massive upgraded to take it to the maximum level with  Jensen capacitors, Black Gate, Ixys diodes, NOS Valvo tubes  
etc.Certainly now is closer to a 5.1x DAC than a 3.1 x. So a lot more of $2K...

This is the DAC type a SR-009 needs..
smily_headphones1.gif
If you need more pictures, let me know

Cheers

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #52 of 60
I hear a 'residual grain' with pretty much all non-electrostats which I'm guessing has to do with speed of the drivers.  The current orthos are pretty good in this regard though, as well as the HD800, TH900, and R10.  It's pretty distracting for me and is a large part of why I pretty much only listen to electrostats anymore.

Responding to an old post, but this is essentially true for me too, and is the reason why I don't go in for dynamics anymore either. I also call it "grain" but I don't really know how to categorize it, it's almost as if there is a subtle distortion that becomes more prominent the more layers a dynamic driver is asked to perform at the same time. Interestingly balanced armatures don't suffer from this, and I prefer them over dynamics too, though not over electrostatics. I ranted time and again about this back when I still used to post more than once in a blue moon.

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:
Also have SR-009 & BHSE combo on order, and looking for proper DAC in meantime.

This quote from their FAQ just blows my mind

Q: Do I need technical knowledge to assemble my kit?
Our manuals clearly set out each part assembly in a very easy to follow and clear way with detailed text and accurate diagrams. It really is join the dots. All you need is some solder and a soldering iron, and you are good to go. It can be useful to have access to a volt meter as well. Most of our kits can be assembled in 10 hours, though we recommend splitting the process up into 3 or 4 sessions

I am looking forward to my upcoming BHSE/009 with my AudioNoteKits 4.1 DAC, using the Stello U3 USB-SPDIF converter.  I have built the DAC 4.1, the L4 Power Amp kits from AudioNoteKits.  I am currently working on a Maxxed Phono Pre kit from K&K Audio.  While I am "handy" with tools (orthopaedic surgeon), I have little or no "technical" knowlege or skills.  You would require a good soldering iron (get a solder "station" which has temperature control), and a digital multi meter to measure both voltage, and to check resister values prior to installation.  There are several great tutorials on how to solder if you have not done so before.  Brian's (AudioNoteKits) kits come with great instructions, both written, and in picture, and it follows literally step by step, almost part by part, the construction.  There are surprisingly few parts in a well designed tube/transformer system.  The DACs range from simpler to more complex, and the simpler ones can be upgraded based on function, funds, and desire to play around with them.

A lot of the "goodness" of these dacs stem from the NOS ( non over sampling design ), which can be found in several other commercially available DACs.  Special to the AN line is the specific DAC chip which sounds "best", while limiting resolution to 18/96, and the quality of the power supply and output stage.

May 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:
There are two purchase options in DACs and amplifiers. You can buy the models in parts either already assembled, as any other brand. My model is original from factory and it is not from a kit, I can not therefore serve as helpful.

My technical skills are limited, but I think you need at least a some initial knowledge. Anyway I post you a couple pictures from inside of my AN 3.1x if it can help you decide. In this case the model has been massive upgraded to take it to the maximum level with  Jensen capacitors, Black Gate, Ixys diodes, NOS Valvo tubes  
etc.Certainly now is closer to a 5.1x DAC than a 3.1 x. So a lot more of $2K...

This is the DAC type a SR-009 needs..
smily_headphones1.gif
If you need more pictures, let me know

Cheers

+1

May 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #59 of 60
That piece of Schiit is one place to upgrade even with your current setup. While the thought of "more is not always better" is justification for staying cheap (in many's estimation), it's a false statement for finding better sound. Sure, a pretty case and glittered knobs, flashy leds, etc., have no bearing on sound, a good quality DAC with money in the right places is a prudent investment and will bear better sound. So don't take a cover comment to heart that a DAC is a DAC no more than an amp is an amp.

IMO, if you want to find satisfaction and minimize the vendor waltz, absolutely go to the top of the hill and get the best. In that view, go speakers unless you have environmental issues requiring you use headphones. But when you do use headphones, go for the gusto and save your money on the journey. Hell, by the time you buy your rig, the 9 mk II will be selling, making all this talk of previous "best" moot.

May 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #60 of 60
The concept of "most expensive is better" is true, but only on certain occasions. Currently the AudioNote DACs are one of the best components of the audio market and their use implies differences. I've been several weeks using the DAC from my Linn Majik DS streamer and using the AudioNote again the differences are very important.

I think tubes are perfect for the SR-009 character. There is a thread in this section about how to appease the brightness of the SR-009 and for those who think so a good option is a tube DAC  which transmit the signal already sieved to the preamplifier. The SR-009 with their tremendous naturalness will play only what they receive..

A clear example of that "more expensive is not better" we have it in the GES. It is not very expensive, but it is a fantastic amplifier, but the AN uses the concept "very expensive, better"
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back