Baffled by Stax
Mar 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
I've tried to read through the Stax thread, but its a weird mix of repair instructions, out-of-production models, cable esoterica, and it's just enormous in scope.

Would I go badly wrong just saving for a 007-II and a GES amp from Woo?

Also, Woo delivers the GES with neither power cords nor interconnects. What power cord does it take? It appears any RCA cables would work (I currently have G-Snake for an HRT MSii+). Obviously a Stax set probably deserves a better DAC at some point in the future...

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 60
Quote:
I've tried to read through the Stax thread, but its a weird mix of repair instructions, out-of-production models, cable esoterica, and it's just enormous in scope.

Would I go badly wrong just saving for a 007-II and a GES amp from Woo?

Also, Woo delivers the GES with neither power cords nor interconnects. What power cord does it take? It appears any RCA cables would work (I currently have G-Snake for an HRT MSii+). Obviously a Stax set probably deserves a better DAC at some point in the future...

I would personally try and snag a 007mkI. Quite a bit better IMO (and the measurements too) and a SRM-323S to drive it (to stay in the same budget, actually $500 less).

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 60
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 60
I should clarify here - this is an 'ambition setup' I'm aiming at as a reward for getting myself totally out of debt.  It's a carrot at the end of a stick that I'm hoping will keep me from buying any more dynamic or planar magnetic headphones until then.  It's a goal that I'm aiming for.  I won't be buying them tomorrow.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 60
Since this is a 1-2 year out purchase, maybe I should be more ambitious and save for an SR-009 instead? I've got an HE-500 that's already delightful and want to avoid minimal returns or 'side-grades'. I could otherwise get sidetracked and spend easily as much on a plethora of equipment that wouldn't net the same upgrade as a higher level Stax setup. Am I wrong to think this?

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 60
Quote:
Since this is a 1-2 year out purchase, maybe I should be more ambitious and save for an SR-009 instead? I've got an HE-500 that's already delightful and want to avoid minimal returns or 'side-grades'. I could otherwise get sidetracked and spend easily as much on a plethora of equipment that wouldn't net the same upgrade as a higher level Stax setup. Am I wrong to think this?

The SR-009s are hands down the best headphones I've heard/owned. Definitely end-game worthy!!

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 60
The SR-009s are hands down the best headphones I've heard/owned. Definitely end-game worthy!!

Can you quantify the improvement? I already know to expect an increased sound stage. I really wish I could hear them, but then again - I'd probably have a heck of a time waiting until my debt was paid off before saving for them if I did!

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 60
Correct me if my impression is wrong . But are you saying that SR009s are way outside your budget at present? If so then buy 2nd hand SR007-MK1 not just as open compared to the SR009s but to my ears more musical as you dont spend your time saying-wow -listen to the detail but after longer listening find the actual musical integration is not 100%. I am not alone in this judgement . But if determined to get the 009s try to audition them along with the 007 MK1s.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 60
Or you you have the Sennheiser HE60 that are brighter than the SR007, have better clarity but has less bass impact.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 60
Quote:
Correct me if my impression is wrong . But are you saying that SR009s are way outside your budget at present? If so then buy 2nd hand SR007-MK1 not just as open compared to the SR009s but to my ears more musical as you dont spend your time saying-wow -listen to the detail but after longer listening find the actual musical integration is not 100%. I am not alone in this judgement . But if determined to get the 009s try to audition them along with the 007 MK1s.

Ah, but will 007 mk1s be available when it's time to buy?  That's the real question.  I'm looking at a 1-2 year future.  I'm focusing on the Stax rig to dissuade myself from going up, down, and sideways with dynamics and planar magnetics in the meantime, seeing as I have a modest HRT MSii+, Magni, HE-500 rig that I'm currently enjoying.  I'm looking for better sound stage and comfort, mainly.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 60
DM, hard to say, there might even be an omega 2mk3 by then :). I concur with MH, an Omega 2mk1 + 323S wouldn't be too shabby (and I personnally don't like the more recent generations of lambda much). I might recommend to listen before committing though as there is a good possibility  the flavour is not to your taste (the omega 2 can sound rather dull unless you drive it with much more powerful amps than something like the 323). The recommendation to check it out is even more relevant if you were to spring up for the sr009 as it's a rather polarizing headphone.

Good luck with resolving your debt, is it the typical US grad college dept? In any case, congrats for working hard to resolve it!

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:
DM, hard to say, there might even be an omega 2mk3 by then :). I concur with MH, an Omega 2mk1 + 323S wouldn't be too shabby (and I personnally don't like the more recent generations of lambda much). I might recommend to listen before committing though as there is a good possibility  the flavour is not to your taste (the omega 2 can sound rather dull unless you drive it with much more powerful amps than something like the 323). The recommendation to check it out is even more relevant if you were to spring up for the sr009 as it's a rather polarizing headphone.

Good luck with resolving your debt, is it the typical US grad college dept? In any case, congrats for working hard to resolve it!

I went to school for art (Fine Art, Painting) for half a second (3 months) before running out of money (a blessing, really).  Then Massage Therapy school, and then RN School.  RN's make good money, but it's a career designed by demons and it slowly eats your soul.  It's not the patients, they're actually the best part!  It's doing everything in the dumbest way possible.  I mean that.  The only reason you don't die every time you go into the hospital is pretty much due to RNs who, despite a mind-numbingly number of idiotic transcriptionist tasks, have somehow caught and corrected some aspect of your care that really needed attending to.

I'm looking to relocate and get my Massage Therapy license again and build that up on the side.  The end-game is Industrial Design school (it's appropriate to my hyper-critical mind).  Before I can embark on ID school, I really need to get out of debt first.  The SR-009 rig is a 'breathing space' plan betwixt killing the debt and plunging back into college in my early 40s.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:
Can you quantify the improvement? I already know to expect an increased sound stage. I really wish I could hear them, but then again - I'd probably have a heck of a time waiting until my debt was paid off before saving for them if I did!

I found the MKI more natural with better extended bass over the MKII. If I had to pick one, it would be the older model. That said, I was never enthralled with either one to spend my $ on either. Then the SR009s came along and wow! I became a happy card carrying member of the Stax mafia. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:
I found the MKI more natural with better extended bass over the MKII. If I had to pick one, it would be the older model. That said, I was never enthralled with either one to spend my $ on either. Then the SR009s came along and wow! I became a happy card carrying member of the Stax mafia. 

Looking at your sig, you have much better up-chain equipment than I do.  Is it possible for you to imagine what I'm getting with mine (ending with the HE-500) and compare it to a Stax SR-009 rig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back