Bada PH-12 v. Darkvoice 337: Informal First Impressions
Oct 24, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #121 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice, Patrick. I am glad you are happy!

It is still very difficult for me to imagine a SS hybrid amp like the Bada sounding more musical than the all tube 337, but I admit freely I only heard the Bada once at a meet, and so I really don't have any valid experience with it.

I certainly do like the 6SN7's sound as a tube, however.

In any case, the important thing has been accomplished - a happy head-fier! Congrats Patrick!

Rob,
Of course I need to invoke the "associated equipment" and YMMV clauses, at least implicitly, with all my reviews/comments. : )

Based on my experience with the K501 in particular, the Bada PH-12 sounds unquestionably smoother, "warmer" and more musical than the Darkvoice 337; and I attribute that to the Bada's well executed implementation of a superior driver tube, the 6SN7.

When Darkvoice first announced the 337, my hopes were that it would essentially be a dual-mono version of the 336, utilizing the 6SN7. If that were the case, my experience with the "imaginary 337" might have been much different, and no doubt more positive.

Finally, aligning my past experience with the 336i-DT880/2003 and my most recent experience with the 337-DT880/2003, the 336i is the warmer and more musical of these two Darkvoice offerings, again, with the difference being the choice of driver tube(s).
Patrick

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #122 of 157
Yeah, there again, to these ears, the DV 336 (which I also own) isn't in the same league sonically with the 337 - the 337 is more musical and more detailed and nuanced.

But again, that is with MY headphones - all different from yours other than the Denon (now also sold on my end), which i agree isn't great with most tube amps.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #123 of 157
It is interesting that we can all hear so differently.

There was some study I read about that but I can't remember where. I think it was on the SlimDevices forums.

I, like, Skylab, find the 337 very musical and warm w/o loosing detail.

I guess this is why there is more than 1 amp manufacturer making a living
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #124 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is interesting that we can all hear so differently.

There was some study I read about that but I can't remember where. I think it was on the SlimDevices forums.

I, like, Skylab, find the 337 very musical and warm w/o loosing detail.

I guess this is why there is more than 1 amp manufacturer making a living
bigsmile_face.gif

You got it.
icon10.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #125 of 157
Quote:

Yeah, there again, to these ears, the DV 336 (which I also own) isn't in the same league sonically with the 337 - the 337 is more musical and more detailed and nuanced.

But again, that is with MY headphones - all different from yours other than the Denon (now also sold on my end), which i agree isn't great with most tube amps.

While ceding to the 337's undisputed technical superiority over the 336i, I'll still maintain that the 336i has the musical edge. I guess that all those things the 337 does well--and, granted, it does many things remarkably well--just don't add up (or "synergize," if you will) to a musically engaging presentation, at least for me.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #127 of 157
LOL! So true
wink.gif

I do think, however, that the 337 is *not* an overly-warm tube amp. I also think the DT880-2003 need warmth, and so do the K501. This again, synergy is a real issue. My JVC DX1000, DT990/600(05), and deep-cup Darth Beyer do not need added warmth, either. What I get from the 337 is that lovely tube liquidity and lushness without much added warmth.

YMMV.

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #128 of 157
Quote:

LOL! So true
wink.gif

I do think, however, that the 337 is *not* an overly-warm tube amp. I also think the DT880-2003 need warmth, and so do the K501. This again, synergy is a real issue. My JVC DX1000, DT990/600(05), and deep-cup Darth Beyer do not need added warmth, either. What I get from the 337 is that lovely tube liquidity and lushness without much added warmth.

YMMV.

Agreed. Both the DT880/2003 and the K501 benefit from imparted warmth. And from what I've read about the JVC DX-1000's sound signature, your comment about their not needing extra warmth makes sense.

Warmer is the Bada, IMHE, but I would also submit more liquidy and smooth than the DV337 as well. Overall, the 337 impresses me with its analytic strengths (e.g. ample detail, clarity, a solidly anchored soundstage, dimensionality, quickness, etc.*) more than with its musicality, or arguable lack thereof.

(*I had to stop listing the DV337's strengths, lest I realized just how fine an amp it is!)

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #130 of 157
Tom,
Don't lose hope: all it takes is a pair of DX-1000 for a major game-changer on my end! : )

In truth, I intend to do a critical a/b using the one set of headphones both amps drive well (the DT880/2003).
PAB

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #131 of 157
Actually , Patrick, I believe that the differences we all hear is one of the fun aspects of this hobby. This is one reason I would like to have both the Bada and the 337.

The brain likes change and becomes captivated by a different sonic sig.

I think this is a reason we always search for something "better".

I currently have 6 classical guitars (my profession)

Each one is excellent , made by luthiers now becoming known, ranging in price from 6,000.00 to 10,000.00.

which one I prefer to play seems solely dependent on my mood at the time I pick them up to pluck.

I think, once we get to a certain quality, it becomes difficult to distinguish between the quality of the gear and the mood/preference of the listener.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #132 of 157
I agree, Tom. It's one reason that I own multiple amps and headphones. They all have different flavors and strengths, and this is fun. It's not possible for me to own multiple speaker-rig hi-fi's, so owning multiple headphone set-ups is really great - cheaper and less space-consuming than multiple speaker stereos
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #133 of 157
Actually, I want to pare down to only one amp and one or two pairs of headphones, and devote the rest of my time to reading. : )

For a single amp that drives the K501, the DT880/2003 and the D5000 equally well, my money's on--and in--the Bada.

Then I can find my "flavors" by exchanging headphones, upgrading cables; by asking Ric Schultz at EVS to further upgrade the Oppo w/a 32bit/216kHz dac; and by additional component upgrades to the Bada itself. Actually, the Bada's going back to Fitz for putting in Blackgate PSU caps and exchanging all remaining Solens for ERSE or Mundorf capacitors. I'll not want for the Darkvoice after that, I'm reasonably sure. : )

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #134 of 157
Just sold the 337 to Head-Fier, trevorlane. Tubed with the JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT and RCA 6AS7 blackplates, I readily admit that the Darkvoice sounded superb with the DT880/2003; and the HD650, which the buyer brought along with him, sounded the best I've ever heard.

Truly, one's audio gear sounds its absolute best the minute it's sold! : )

Oh, well, the Bada is going back down to Ftiz to get fitted with Blackgate caps at the PSU, and with Mundorfs to replace all the remaining Solens. The Furutech fuse is in the Bada's future, too. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back