Bada PH-12 v. Darkvoice 337: Informal First Impressions
Oct 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #136 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just sold the 337 to Head-Fier, trevorlane. Tubed with the JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT and RCA 6AS7 blackplates, I readily admit that the Darkvoice sounded superb with the DT880/2003; and the HD650, which the buyer brought along with him, sounded the best I've ever heard.

Truly, one's audio gear sounds its absolute best the minute it's sold! : )

Oh, well, the Bada is going back down to Ftiz to get fitted with Blackgate caps at the PSU, and with Mundorfs to replace all the remaining Solens. The Furutech fuse is in the Bada's future, too. : )

You will be surprised of how much of a difference this little fuse makes!

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #137 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be surprised of how much of a difference this little fuse makes!

Agreed......I usually ditch them altogether and run a nice solid chunk of copper between the cage pads (as in remove the cages and solder the copper to the pads)

Obviously that's a risky mod. I like the SQ gains though.

Peete

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #138 of 157
If I liked, and owned, the HD650, I would say that the Darkvoice 337 was indispensible! : )

Honestly, after having heard the DV337 with the HD650, and also with the DT880--but with the RCA 6AS7Gs--I'm feeling a bit of remorse. Funny, how the RCAs really seemed to make a huge difference with the Beyers. Of course, I did not have time for an extended, critical listen, since the buyer was here and we needed to pack up the amp. But, I confess, if I can find another 337 reasonably priced (actually, you can get them from Casque for about $600/shipped right now), I may give it--and the HD650--a second audition.

Oh, well, that's the consequence of having headphones (i.e. D5000 and K501) that are not well-matched with the amp (i.e. Darkvoice 337), and hastily drawing conclusions about either . . . and a bit of "separation anxiety" as well! : )

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #139 of 157
Yeah, I recently went back to 6AS7G's in the 337 - and I actually think I may prefer it over the 5998
biggrin.gif
Going to spend a little more time this way and then go back to 5998's and see...

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #140 of 157
Don't rub it in, Rob! : ) I was also in anguish--after the DV337 was gone--as to how the Mullard 6080 and Tung-Sol 5998 might have sounded with the DT880/2003.

There may be another 337 looming on the horizon, though.

Fortitude, Patrick! "This, too, shall pass!" : )

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #141 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't rub it in, Rob! : ) I was also in anguish--after the DV337 was gone--as to how the Mullard 6080 and Tung-Sol 5998 might have sounded with the DT880/2003.

There may be another 337 looming on the horizon, though.

Fortitude, Patrick! "This, too, shall pass!" : )

Fact is that it is better to create a system around your headphone(s) you like and build on their strength then to long for something that half pleases you!

If you like the akg 501 best, build a solid system around that headphone!

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #142 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fact is that it is better to create a system around your headphone(s) you like and build on their strength then to long for something that half pleases you!

If you like the akg 501 best, build a solid system around that headphone!

. . . Hence, the Bada PH-12, which unquestionably drives the K501 and the D5000 more beneficially than the Darkvoice 337. Even though the V-Caps are not nearly broken in with the Bada, the DT880 fares better with the PH-12 (even with tubes not optimally suited to the Beyers), as well.

If I get another DV337, I'd really like to critically a/b it and the Bada, with the DT880/2003 and the HD650. : )

Fortitude, Patrick!

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #143 of 157
LOL,
I am loving this, Rob back to the rca's , Patrick with sellers remorse.
I am SO happy to see my compatriots suffer Audiophilia nervosa to the same degree as I
happy_face1.gif

Thank you guys for making me feel less weird.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #144 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL,
I am SO happy to see my compatriots suffer Audiophilia nervosa to the same degree as I
happy_face1.gif

biggrin.gif
Most people here on head-fi have that itch, looking for musical bliss!

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #145 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL,
happy_face1.gif

LOL - yes we do.

Just for the record - I am using Tung-Sol black plate halo getter 6AS7G's, not RCA's.

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #147 of 157
Actually I got them from Antique Electronic Supply - but you need to call them, not place a web order, to ask for a specific brand.

I do prefer the Tung-Sol's over the RCA's.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #149 of 157
Meanwhile, I'll drown my sorrows in a long, vibrant session with the Fitz-Max Jr. Bada! Darkvoice? (sob!) Darkvoice who? (sniffle!) The bass on the Fitz-Max Jr. Bada definitely goes much deeper, and with better articulation, punch/dynamics . . . There IS light, or is it music(?), at the end of the tunnel.

6SJ7? We don't need no stinking 6SJ7! : )

There are Blackgate electrolytics, ERSE bypass caps and a Furutech fuse in the Bada's immediate future . . .

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #150 of 157
Those tung sol tubes are hard to find now, it took me some time until I got a pair used from ebay at a decent price. I do feel tung sols are more musical than the RCAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back