Bad tube socket?
Sep 8, 2023 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OnlySoMany

500+ Head-Fier
Viva egoista 845. Bought this used from another headfi user and I'm having issues with it once hooked up.

I tried switching the tubes from socket to socket, I've also tried switching the inputs from XLR to Rca. I am only getting audio out of one side. I have tried both 6.5 and xlr outputs. Same thing on both. Just the left side.

Also, the left tube socket is getting crazy hot, or so it seems. I am guessing a bad tube socket or other issue? You can really see it once I turn it off.

I have never owned a 845 tube before but I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to get red hot.

Attachments

• 20230908_162105.jpg
    20230908_162105.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230908_162716.jpg
    20230908_162716.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Anyone?

Sep 10, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Too much current going to / through the socket? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sep 11, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Hello,

This looks like a repair case.
It's best not to do anything else to it, as you know what the fault is.
Try to contact the manufacturer to have it repaired.

It also looks like a heater failure and possibly more, that certain components could be affected.

I'm sorry that you have a failure, it's always a bitter thing.
One small thing,don't expect many answers,as it is a higher priced amplifier and not everyone has it.
Not many headphones have the Viva.
And a remote diagnosis is always a bit difficult.
Just see if there is a general agency in your country where you can send the amplifier after contacting them.

If it is really complicated for a repair, then you can look for a good guitar amplifier manufacturer.
They should be able to find the problem and fix it.

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 6
This can happen when the coupling capacitor between the driver tube and output tube (845 in this case) developed a short. In that case, the 845 tube grid runs at high voltage and draws large amount of current - this causes the red plating which depletes tube life rapidly. This is a very common issue for output tube red plating, although not the only reason.

Don't power on the amp any more. Find someone (no need to be Viva) who knows how to diagnose and repair tube amp to look into this.

Don't try to do it yourself unless you know how to handle high voltage safely. The capacitor needs to be checked with high voltage applied - the regular digital multimeter won't work.

If this is the cause, then you will have an opportunity to upgrade coupling caps :)

PS: I had a Viva Solista Lt long time ago before my DIY journey. Viva is nice and repair of tube SET is not a big deal. You just need to find a capable local tech.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back