Bad for cans to play music through them when they're not on your head?
Mar 19, 2008 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
I read somewhere ages ago that it's not good for your headphones to have music playing through them if there's nothing in front of the drivers, and that they can be damaged this way. Is it true? i feel like a fool pausing my music every time i take off my headphones to scratch my ear or whatever.
Does the same go for IEMs?

Sorry if this has come up in its own thread before, but i didnt really know what to search for.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 10
No, thats complete crap. Why it would get damaged? Think of open headphones, they are wide open in the back so whatever pressure gets moved by the driver it still escapes unhindered from the backside.

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 10
From some of the posts on HeadFi I reckon there is sometimes nothing between the drivers anyway !!

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere ages ago that it's not good for your headphones to have music playing through them if there's nothing in front of the drivers, and that they can be damaged this way. Is it true? i feel like a fool pausing my music every time i take off my headphones to scratch my ear or whatever.
Does the same go for IEMs?

Sorry if this has come up in its own thread before, but i didnt really know what to search for.

Thanks

I have never heard this one before, and cannot come up with a logical explanation as to how this could even be considered. Heck, a lot of people I know get headphones that can be driven to ear-splitting levels just so they can plug them in, crank the volume and use them as 'mini speakers'.I would expect that to be more damaging to the drivers due to to the volume (dB) in question.

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 10
There is conclusive evidence that proves not everything found in print is true OR accurate........regularly reading New York Times reportage will provide a multitude of well-known examples.
........trust, but verify. Ronaldus Magnus

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is conclusive evidence that proves not everything found in print is true OR accurate........regularly reading New York Times reportage will provide a multitude of well-known examples.
........trust, but verify. Ronaldus Magnus

Hence the point of this thread.
No idea where I read what I read, sorry guys! Glad it's ********; makes things a lot easier

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Years ago this seemed to be the common belief around here with respect to the Stax Omega II at least during the break-in process (for what reasons I don't recall whatsoever). I didn't buy it one bit myself but there were some smart people here insisting that you should stuff a towel in them such that there would be an object near to the drivers (much as if your head was there, I suppose). It was only with respect to the O2 and there was some sort of logic behind it. Wish I could find the thread, but it sank deep into the abyss long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back