Backups for Fischer DBA-02
Jul 23, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #31 of 42
o i no that why I put most... You and another head fier that I no prefer the stocks over everything else. Just shows there is no tip to rule them all
tongue.gif
, and you should take the time to find a tip thats works. I think rip n burn you could of found comfort in the dbas if you just kept searching.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #32 of 42
Wow, this thread has taken some interesting turns since I started it yesterday! Thanks everyone for the great discussion. Still hoping for comments about the Hippo Shroom EB's if anyone has them for comparison.

The W2 had intrigued me a while back (pre-DBA), but they're too expensive as backups (for my wallet).

slater70,
Thanks for the ADDIEM idea (and I recall your PM remarks to me about the HJE900). I'll seriously consider them, especially since they'd also cover the phone compatibility issue. Another idea for a phone-compatible IEM is the PFE 022 with the green filters. Thanks for that idea, ZARIM. RE-Zero's are intriguing, too, although that plug adapter puts me off.

Meanwhile, the music is amazingly excellent every time I use these DBA's. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the deck of my house, and have to make sure I'm concentrating on the power saw, not the music!

Regarding tips:
I didn't have the same great experience with Ety triflanges as slater70 and others, even when I modded a set into biflanges. Interestingly, Shure "large" biflanges worked OK even though they they seem to be identical to the modded Ety tri's except for the extended tube (which I cut down by ~1/8" for the DBA's). With these biflanges, I notice the aggressive treble that ClieOS mentioned in his review on some tracks. They're just not as comfortable to me as singles, and the DBA's protrude farther so they're less comfortable when lying in bed.

So I'm one of those in the minority still preferring the OEM single flanges for both comfort and SQ. Unfortunately, one of them has become a bit loose on the nozzle and I've had to remove it from my ear with tweezers 5 times. I've got some Shure grey soft flex sleeves coming to hopefully correct that problem while maintaining comfort and the fantastic DBA SQ.

Rip N' Burn,
Your comments about comfort issues with the DBA housings illustrate how different ears can be. In my ears (with any tips) the DBA housings stick almost straight out (tilted backward slightly) - no contact with my ears at all, and I have worn them for many hours at a time (with OEM tips).

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #33 of 42
That's too bad about the Zero. The adapters don't bother me but I could see it presenting some problems for people. They are quite good however. You could always opt for the RE0 as well since they are also very good and under $100.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #34 of 42
You got PM re tips. I am not using my OEM tips, so send me the size. As for the PFEs, not bad either, and with the new green filters, good choice. I liked the PFEs, but felt they were a little underpowered and they also were fragile. But excellent detail. The ADDIEMs are not perfect, but remember, they are a $79 phone for $30-$35.

Another idea on tips is you can use a Comply core inside the OEM tip, for a tighter fit.

Quote:
Wow, this thread has taken some interesting turns since I started it yesterday! Thanks everyone for the great discussion. Still hoping for comments about the Hippo Shroom EB's if anyone has them for comparison.

The W2 had intrigued me a while back (pre-DBA), but they're too expensive as backups (for my wallet).

slater70,
Thanks for the ADDIEM idea (and I recall your PM remarks to me about the HJE900). I'll seriously consider them, especially since they'd also cover the phone compatibility issue. Another idea for a phone-compatible IEM is the PFE 022 with the green filters. Thanks for that idea, ZARIM. RE-Zero's are intriguing, too, although that plug adapter puts me off.

Meanwhile, the music is amazingly excellent every time I use these DBA's. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the deck of my house, and have to make sure I'm concentrating on the power saw, not the music!

Regarding tips:
I didn't have the same great experience with Ety triflanges as slater70 and others, even when I modded a set into biflanges. Interestingly, Shure "large" biflanges worked OK even though they they seem to be identical to the modded Ety tri's except for the extended tube (which I cut down by ~1/8" for the DBA's). With these biflanges, I notice the aggressive treble that ClieOS mentioned in his review on some tracks. They're just not as comfortable to me as singles, and the DBA's protrude farther so they're less comfortable when lying in bed.

So I'm one of those in the minority still preferring the OEM single flanges for both comfort and SQ. Unfortunately, one of them has become a bit loose on the nozzle and I've had to remove it from my ear with tweezers 5 times. I've got some Shure grey soft flex sleeves coming to hopefully correct that problem while maintaining comfort and the fantastic DBA SQ.

Rip N' Burn,
Your comments about comfort issues with the DBA housings illustrate how different ears can be. In my ears (with any tips) the DBA housings stick almost straight out (tilted backward slightly) - no contact with my ears at all, and I have worn them for many hours at a time (with OEM tips).

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #35 of 42
IEMs while using power tools - yikes! You certainly would want to pay attention to the saw! At least you aren't getting the dangerous noise levels though.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #37 of 42
For $30, a very good IEM if you have a Touch or iPhone. I use Comply foamies with them (T130 from Audeo's website), which adds to the cost, as the stock tips didn't work for me. Also, Sony Hybrids can work.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 42
Conclusion: I've just ordered a second set of DBA-02's, but told Ethan to put me at the back of the line, so I wouldn't be depriving first-timers from their DBA experience.

I decided that I didn't what to sacrifice the DBA listening experience, and I'll manage the smart phone attributes with either the Shure adapter (awkward, but it works well) I purchased a while ago, or the short Scosch push-button adapter (no mic, yes volume) that works well with the iPod.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #39 of 42

Quote:
Conclusion: I've just ordered a second set of DBA-02's, but told Ethan to put me at the back of the line, so I wouldn't be depriving first-timers from their DBA experience.

I decided that I didn't what to sacrifice the DBA listening experience, and I'll manage the smart phone attributes with either the Shure adapter (awkward, but it works well) I purchased a while ago, or the short Scosch push-button adapter (no mic, yes volume) that works well with the iPod.

thats nice of you dfrost, see this is why I love headfli.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #41 of 42
I had my second pair of DBA-02's re-cabled by the seller (didn't do it myself). Yes, that is a MEElec P cable (removed from my M9P's) - works fine, although the Fischer straight connector ended up lasting longer than the angled MEElec. I've since re-terminated both DBA's due to damaging the connectors - did that myself. Neither was inherently fragile. I was just incredibly careless.

BTW, cable connector re-termination (cut off the old connector, solder on a new one) seems much easier than recabling, which requires delicate disassembly and reassembly of the housings without affecting the drivers.

Oh yeah, that $20 Scosch adapter lasted about three weeks before becoming intermittent, and eventually more trouble than it was worth.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #42 of 42
ok  just wondering my m9pm lasted about 3 months and 2 months they were sealed in the box , right ear went out completely 
the dba-02 cable seems really soft and week?
but for the 3 hr iv been listening to them they fit better then my triple fi 10 and sound cleaner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back