Backup pair of monitors for someone that likes neutrality...
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cyberspyder

Caution! Incomplete trades.
I used a pair of Westone UM3X's almost daily up until a couple weeks ago when I mailed them out to Westone for some repairs. My friend gave me his Brainwavz's (sp?) that he got for dirt cheap, and I COULD NOT STAND THEM! While I do like lots of extension in the low end, I do not want it emphasized and booming. Furthermore they don't isolate for crap. I want a pair of deep insert phones - true in ear monitors if you may, not that ear canal crap. Lastly I don't want any microphonics, so most likely it must have a Westone-type twisted/braided cable. Without resorting so customs, I can think of the following:

-Fischer Audio DBA-02
-Westone 4

Note, my budget is right up at the $400 mark (the Westones will probably drop in price soon).

Any other recommendations?

Brendan

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 3
If you like UM3Xs, go for the Westone 4s, you won't regret it, the only downside is that they have non-replaceable cable. 
wink.gif

Quote:
I used a pair of Westone UM3X's almost daily up until a couple weeks ago when I mailed them out to Westone for some repairs. My friend gave me his Brainwavz's (sp?) that he got for dirt cheap, and I COULD NOT STAND THEM! While I do like lots of extension in the low end, I do not want it emphasized and booming. Furthermore they don't isolate for crap. I want a pair of deep insert phones - true in ear monitors if you may, not that ear canal crap. Lastly I don't want any microphonics, so most likely it must have a Westone-type twisted/braided cable. Without resorting so customs, I can think of the following:

-Fischer Audio DBA-02
-Westone 4

Note, my budget is right up at the $400 mark (the Westones will probably drop in price soon).

Any other recommendations?

Brendan

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 3
Meh, replaceable/removable cables aren't a big deal killer for me, especially when Westone has a 2 yea r warranty. So far even with constant daily use, my UM3X's cables have been fine (couple months short of 2 years). Though I've read the sound signature is completely different from a recent thread?

Brendan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back