Back to the drawing board I guess... ~$500 budget, which headphones?
Jun 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I was initially going to get the Denon D5000s but now I guess they're being discontinued and I can't find any around to actually listen to.  One of the places I emailed suggested I try the Grado PS500s.  I have a pair of SR225s right now and to be honest I'm kind of tired of having headphones that feel like $25 Walmart specials.  They're not real comfortable and they just feel like crap, and I can't see how the PS500s are going to be any different build wise. 

As for music, I listen to a lot of rock, metal, acoustic, progressive etc.  You can see a better idea of what I listen to here:

http://www.last.fm/user/jfindon

I wouldn't call myself a basshead, but I want something with more bass than the SR225s.  I was sure the D5000s would be what I was after but given my trouble finding any local places to demo them and the PS500 recommendation I have no idea what to do.  I'll eventually get a different amp too so don't worry about recommending something a little harder to drive.

Thoughts?

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 44
I will vouch for the d5k. They are an outstanding hp. Got mine from electronic expo for $385 shipped...hard to beat for the money.

gL!!

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

I couldn't disagree more......try RUSH YYZ at the threshold of pain on D5K...............holy crap..........fantastic! Those big floor Toms and bass are just amazing.

The D5000s interject bass into everything, every instrument is off tonally and I wouldn't suggest them for anything other than die-hard bass-heads and perhaps electronica fans.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:
I will vouch for the d5k. They are an outstanding hp. Got mine from electronic expo for $385 shipped...hard to beat for the money.

gL!!

The open box ones?  I'm always wary of those, open box could mean different things. 

AD2000s are out of my price range.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 44
second hand D7000 or refurbished. The D7000 appears not to have the bass "interjection" into the mid bass. But don't be put off the D5000, some people are prone to exaggeration I had the D5000 and like prog rock metal etc. I returned them as they were faulty. The D5000 can be improved with Lawnton mods.

I nearly bought the D7000 their a bit more but from all accounts and probably less bass - according to the graphs, I imagine you'd be happy with them but the bass isn't as low.

Also check out what's said about the beyerdynamics; DT880 I think and the 990 is bassier I recall.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 44
If I said I was going to buy some SRH940.....already own HD25-I-II and SE535 you would say?
Not trying to hijack your thread just trying to get advice along with you!
Just sold my HD650 and want a closed can replacement.
Thanks.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

The D5000s interject bass into everything, every instrument is off tonally and I wouldn't suggest them for anything other than die-hard bass-heads and perhaps electronica fans.

No...not at all. I'm listening to John Coltrane as I type this (My Favorite Things). It's actually very nicely balanced. Piano on the left side of the stage with the sax just right of center. The tonality is really nice actually. The bass is represented the least in this material as it should be given the composition. When the material does call for it, the d5k has about as much impact as anything out there. Some don't like this. I do. But this hp does not "inject bass into everything." Just not true.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

No...not at all. I'm listening to John Coltrane as I type this (My Favorite Things). It's actually very nicely balanced. Piano on the left side of the stage with the sax just right of center. The tonality is really nice actually. The bass is represented the least in this material as it should be given the composition. When the material does call for it, the d5k has about as much impact as anything out there. Some don't like this. I do. But this hp does not "inject bass into everything." Just not true.

You like them, that's all this is. If you were to compare them against a HD800 or DT880 you would either see how bass-forward the Denons are or simply consider the other headphones to be tinny.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 44
If you have 500 quid to burn i would most certainly suggest you try the Hifiman HE-400's , they have a strong capability for bass if driven right but it doesn't overpower the mids and highs at flat eq. 

I have them because I was looking for a can to compliment my punchy grados and laid back senns , my hifimans are where I go when I want to watch an epic movie or listen to live music, they bring true life to the music.

However they need to be driven by a decent amp, so it comes to the total sum of your budget to get the cans and an amp, so consider wisely, they have amazing comfort levels although are a bit heavy, and i think anyone getting serious about their Head-fi addiction should consider a pair of planar magnetics. :) 

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:
If you have 500 quid to burn i would most certainly suggest you try the Hifiman HE-400's , they have a strong capability for bass if driven right but it doesn't overpower the mids and highs at flat eq. 

I have them because I was looking for a can to compliment my punchy grados and laid back senns , my hifimans are where I go when I want to watch an epic movie or listen to live music, they bring true life to the music.

However they need to be driven by a decent amp, so it comes to the total sum of your budget to get the cans and an amp, so consider wisely, they have amazing comfort levels although are a bit heavy, and i think anyone getting serious about their Head-fi addiction should consider a pair of planar magnetics. :) 

The he400 is another great choice. I agree with what you've said. Originally I didn't think that it could be my everyday headphone. I was wrong. It's just that good. Also, spot comment about the bass. Emulates my thoughts exactly. 

Quote:

You like them, that's all this is. If you were to compare them against a HD800 or DT880 you would either see how bass-forward the Denons are or simply consider the other headphones to be tinny.

I had all the Beyer line and most of the Sennheiser also. I prefer a meatier bass line with good impact, but not bass cans. Truth is there is about a dimes difference in my d5k and your d7k. I don't think that you'd say your d7k is a bass can or bleeds into the mids. It's a high end flagship headphone which is very close to the d5k in sound signature.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:
I had all the Beyer line and most of the Sennheiser also. I prefer a meatier bass line with good impact, but not bass cans. Truth is there is about a dimes difference in my d5k and your d7k. I don't think that you'd say your d7k is a bass can or bleeds into the mids. It's a high end flagship headphone which is very close to the d5k in sound signature.

While I don't consider the D7k close (actively dislike D5k and D2k) to the D5k I would still consider my D7k to be more of a bass-head phone and yes the bass bleeds into the mids. ANY headphone that has elevated bass (over +1dB) WILL bleed into the mids, it has too. I use the D7k for electronica and other bass-heavy genres, the DT880/600 is much better at all other genres; much more accurate and high-end in terms of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back