Back to the drawing board I guess... ~$500 budget, which headphones?
Jun 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 44
I just wish I could demo some of these things.  I've only ever heard Sennheiser PX100s and my Grado SR225s, so I have no clue how the other brands compare. 

The DT880/990s are pretty "cheap", is there a step up from them?

I read a thread about the HifiMan headphones and the last few pages had people talking about quality issues/failures, so I stopped reading.  Maybe I'll take another look.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:
I just wish I could demo some of these things.  I've only ever heard Sennheiser PX100s and my Grado SR225s, so I have no clue how the other brands compare. 

The DT880/990s are pretty "cheap", is there a step up from them?

I read a thread about the HifiMan headphones and the last few pages had people talking about quality issues/failures, so I stopped reading.  Maybe I'll take another look.

Yep, they do have issues now and then. The DT880/990 may be cheap but that's only because they have been out for a long time. I love my DT880 quite a lot, I would recommend it over the DT990 as is it much more nicely balanced than the DT990, which has a v-shaped sound signature.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #18 of 44
I'm reading a lot of things saying the DT880s are a lot more neutral and reference sounding, that doesn't really seem like something I'm looking for, unless those reviews were mistaken or it's not quite as bad as they said.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 44
I wouldn't call them bass light when powered properly with an amp, but that's just me. However, given your tastes I think the HE-400 will sound very nice to you.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:
I forgot to mention to the HE-400, worth checking out in your price range I think. Planars kick ass.:)

What exactly is this technology I keep hearing about in the HE-400s?  How does it affect sound?

I don't know why, but I'm still leaning toward the D5000s in my head, though there's no real basis for it since I haven't heard any of them.  If ElectronicxExpo ever gets them in stock again and I can get them for ~$390 I think it will be even tougher.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 44
I made a generalization,
tongue_smile.gif
the LCD-2 kick ass. Great live sound, superior power handling (have you ever noticed normal dynamic headphones close to distortion?) extended low & visceral bass. Sound with authority and HEFT. You may find these traits in other planars and I think the HE-400 are the only ones in your price range. Make sure they suit your music preference tho. Sorry can't help you more with the HE-400 it's a new headphone.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 44
I would so pounce on the HE-400 myself if it weren't for Hifiman's questionable QC practices (been burnt before). I want a headphone to last damn it.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:
I made a generalization,
tongue_smile.gif
the LCD-2 kick ass. Great live sound, superior power handling (have you ever noticed normal dynamic headphones close to distortion?) extended low & visceral bass. Sound with authority and HEFT. You may find these traits in other planars and I think the HE-400 are the only ones in your price range. Make sure they suit your music preference tho. Sorry can't help you more with the HE-400 it's a new headphone.

I know, I meant the technology in general :)
Quote:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work

I'll check that out, thanks.
Quote:
I would so pounce on the HE-400 myself if it weren't for Hifiman's questionable QC practices (been burnt before). I want a headphone to last damn it.

See, that's what worries me.  Well, that and reading about how they need an amp to really shine, because I don't really want to dump a load of money on an amp either.  I have the one in my sig but I don't even remember if it's any good anymore, and I was maybe thinking of spending another $100 on another amp if needed. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #26 of 44
I remember being told that the HE-400s do benefit from an amp, but don't need a powerful amp to drive them. They are pretty efficient as they are, but a little power gives it that little bit more. I reckon the Little Dot Mk 1+ will be fine for it.

Sorta like how my MS Pro doesn't need an amp to sound excellent, but that little bit more gives it that little bit extra.

The HE-400 is not like the HD600 or DT880 or other power hungry headphones, which need a more powerful amp to drive them.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #28 of 44
You don't need much of an amp to get great sound out of them.  They benefit from a great source as much as the next headphone, but they have a low tolerance to get good sound.

As for as quality control, the first batch ran into problems but the revised drivers havn't gotten many complaints.  If you ever do have a problem, they're a small and intimate company so customer service will always be great.

As far as Denons and timbral issues, that's kinda true.  They either render upper bass with a bit too much bloat, render lower brass and woodwinds with too much of a dark tonality, or they render things like violins and some brass too brightly and too tinny.  Besides the timbral issues and some bass bloat I do love em-- very detailed and neutral compared to other bassy headphones out there.  Almost all other hi-fi open headphones on the market just don't dig low enough to give the same amount of enjoyment.  Planars come very close though.

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 44
So it's still kind of between the D5000 and the HE-400 then...

I'm actually getting a little angry just trying to research these because how am I supposed to know without comparing them first hand?  I wish there was something like a pass around going on here so I can test them.  I've never had a harder time finding something in stores than high quality headphones :frowning2:

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #30 of 44
Ok, I'm going through all 120 pages of the HE-400 thread and reading each one.  I haven't gotten to the "issues" section yet, still in the pre-lim impressions, but the thought of them is growing on me.

My only other issue is that if my budget is less than $600, I'm getting headphones $200 under that limit and it seems like there should be another model out there that is decidedly better.

They have a 30 day warranty, so should I just get them and if I like them much more than the SR225s I currently have, keep them?  Or should I still find a way to listen to the D5000s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back