Back to HM-901 (HM-901 -> AK120 -> HM901)
Feb 18, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #61 of 84
W
I did try some hard-rock musics (mostly from U2 and Aerosmith), they sounded great to me. But I'm never a hard-rock fan anyway, except a few sounds from these two bands, from the movies I've seen I think. 

Besides classic musics, I also listen to a lot blues, jazz, soft rocks and pop songs (mostly sweet vocals). I think HM901 is a great player for all these types of musics. 
while I fully agree but not the vocal portion of 801.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #62 of 84
CosmicHolyGhost:
Is your audio journey gonna change to HM-901 > AK120 > HM-901 > AK240?

AK240 is from different price league:

AK120 ~ $1000-1300
HM-901 ~ $1000
AK240 ~ $2400 OOPS

Be careful what you're writing, we're not so dumb people as you may think
evil_smiley.gif

P.S. There's only a little probability AK240 will sound more spectacular than HM-901... only a little...

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #63 of 84
I am sorry my English is bad and I cannot understand when you scream in French accent.hehe

@fengwei007, have you tried the AK240 yet? Is your audio journey gonna change to HM-901 > AK120 > HM-901 > AK240?

No, I haven't. Don't think it's available here in local shops yet. I'd love to give it a try, but don't think I'd folk out such a big amount of money for a portable player which might not sound better than HM901 (to my ears)

Just got a Minibox card, listening to it now, loving it!

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #64 of 84
Just got a Minibox card, listening to it now, loving it!

Me, too... I have switched to use minibox card because I can detect hiss from balance card when I am in office... also, I dont need to use the TRRS> TRS adapter when I want to switch listening to X5.convenient!
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #67 of 84
Two people already who prefers MiniBox with HM-901... NICE
Local customer also recommended me this amp card.
CosmicHolyGhost, are you listening to any heavy genres?
I mean - ANY, i.e. any from blues to death-metal would be "heavy"
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #68 of 84
Two people already who prefers MiniBox with HM-901... NICE
Local customer also recommended me this amp card.
CosmicHolyGhost, are you listening to any heavy genres?
I mean - ANY, i.e. any from blues to death-metal would be "heavy" :wink:

Sorry, not recently... Recenetly, just random Shostakovich string quartets and symphony because they sound good on my earphones...

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #70 of 84
I dont think i can hear much diff between minibox and balance card (bal mode) with ciem on the go..maybe except for less hiss... And u get little room for vol control similar to bal card...i have not compared using full sized yet and I presume the diff will be more revealing with full sized...

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #71 of 84
I dont think i can hear much diff between minibox and balance card (bal mode) with ciem on the go..maybe except for less hiss... And u get little room for vol control similar to bal card...i have not compared using full sized yet and I presume the diff will be more revealing with full sized...
So all in all you are saying it is better to go Minibox so you can avoid balanced cables....

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #73 of 84
I've had the MiniBox amp card for 2 weeks, played TH900, T5p and even the HD800 with the combo, sound really great with the first two, and even HD800 sounds pretty nice with the MiniBox amp card. I haven't even bothered to use my desktop setup in the two weeks because I really enjoy using HM901.

I know Dr Fang didn't suggest to use MiniBox with IEMs like K3003, but I gave it a try anyway a couple of days ago. Oh man, how I regretted that I didn't try the combo earlier. The sound was much fuller, bass and mids are quite a bit better (IMO) than w/ the IEM card, highs are very well controlled too. Never thought that K3003 could sound so nice w/ a portable setup, that's after I've tried AK120, X3, HM901 w/ different amp cards. Now I think I found the ultimate amp card for my use, the MiniBox card. It's capable of driving full sized cans like TH900 and T5p, and it works great with sensitive IEMs like K3003.

You know what, I've sold my IEM card after I tried the MiniBox w/ my K3003. Don't see I'd ever use it again anyway.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #74 of 84
@fengwei007

have you ever tried to plug your HM901 to your desktop amp to drive hd800? I have found that it is really a great source. it has vivid dynamic when playing anna netrebko's amazing voice.

thanks for the impressions, it seems I no longer need to buy an iem card too.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #75 of 84
@fengwei007

have you ever tried to plug your HM901 to your desktop amp to drive hd800? I have found that it is really a great source. it has vivid dynamic when playing anna netrebko's amazing voice.

thanks for the impressions, it seems I no longer need to buy an iem card too.

Got dedicated SACD player and nice PCs, I only listen to SACD or DSD files on desktop setup nowadays. But I'm thinking of trying to use hm901 as the source for my speaker setup some time. Bought needed cable already ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back