B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Oct 17, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,516 of 1,671
Sorry to hear that 8lliot, sounds like your pair were particularly sensitive to this issue. Although it happens to me occasionally, mine aren't nearly as bad.

I also bought from Peter Tyson. I hear their customer service is excellent. Out of interest, what did they say when you told them about this issue? Did you get the impression that they'd experienced it many times before? And did they accept your return without question?

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #1,517 of 1,671
Sorry to hear that 8lliot, sounds like your pair were particularly sensitive to this issue. Although it happens to me occasionally, mine aren't nearly as bad.

I also bought from Peter Tyson. I hear their customer service is excellent. Out of interest, what did they say when you told them about this issue? Did you get the impression that they'd experienced it many times before? And did they accept your return without question?

I’ve been so indecisive about sending them back, wondering if these are significant issues or I’m just being pedantic. I only own one pair of leather-soled shoes and when I wasn’t wearing these, the “mic-tapping” noise as another poster described it seems to have been significantly reduced to the point of not warranting a return. My only other concern is some sibilance, but I’ve come off the back of a two year relationship with the H6 gen 2’s so maybe I have high expectations. However, out of interest, I’ve found that Kids by MGMT (I know, what an original taste in music I have) is utterly unlistenable through Bluetooth because of the treble and sibilance- is this something anyone else has found?

My brief email correspondence with Peter Tyson has been very good, the way things were sounding I could have sent it back no questions asked provided I had all the accessories and box. They also said nothing about it being a common or uncommon issue so nothing to report on that front I’m afraid.

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,518 of 1,671
I've tried to walk and "bump" my feet hard on the ground, and yes I can hear that too.

It doesn't concern me personally because I use them when I'm sitting or laying down, always at home. But if somebody of you use them for commute yeah I can understand how it can sound frustrating...

(H9v3)

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,519 of 1,671
They do have slight sibilance for me on some songs, but nothing like the T1v2 I had briefly. Playing with the app's "EQ" can also help.

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,520 of 1,671
Software update for the H9v3 :)

pIjElYZ.png

A question out of curiosity to all of you guys who own the H9: would you like a setting in the app like "remember last ANC status"? I.e. that if you disable ANC and switch then off, when you switch them back on ANC will still be disabled (rather than automatically turning on again as it does now)?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #1,521 of 1,671
I went to a B&O store yesterday to try out the H9 3rd gen. Given the graphs I've seen for the H9i my expectations were fairly low, but I came away very impressed with both the sound and build quality. Ended up purchasing a pair. I'm really curious how this 3rd gen measures, but either way I do like it a lot. The build quality is far superior to my Bose 700. ANC may be a little weaker on the H9 3rd gen compared to the Bose, but it seems more than sufficient for the bus and train. Perhaps on flights the weaker ANC will become a problem.

One thing that's bothering me a little bit is the headband pressure. I didn't feel this issue in store but didn't use it for that long there. We'll see whether I get used to it or if it loosens up a bit. I believe it's just the stiffness of the padding.

Assuming I keep this I will be giving the 700 to my gf. She was looking to get a QC35ii or 700 anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,522 of 1,671
The H9i has been good as far as ANC on flights. Certainly better than the Sony WF-1000XM3 were. I don't think it will be a problem.

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,523 of 1,671
I have no doubt that they'll be better than the WF1000XM3 for flights, but they're likely slightly worse than other ANC headphones I've tried in that particular setting. XM3, QC35ii, NCH700. Worse enough that I'll have to keep one of those other headphones around? Unlikely. I only fly maybe 4-6 times round trip per year. Not really a make or break thing.

I plan on keeping these around for a long time. The only issue is still the headband. It's getting better, or I am getting used to it. I wore these for about 6 hours yesterday, but not without having to adjust the positioning every once in a while.

Honestly, another selling point to me was just the fact that I could go into the B&O store, pair a demo unit with my phone, and play whatever I wanted. That is actually very very helpful. Much better than going to Best Buy for Bose and Sony and being stuck with the demo songs. I suppose if I went to the actual Bose store I could probably do the same. It's not as convenient to get to without a car since it's a bit outside the city.

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,524 of 1,671
The only issue is still the headband. It's getting better, or I am getting used to it. I wore these for about 6 hours yesterday, but not without having to adjust the positioning every once in a while.

That is the only issue I’ve ever had with my H9i’s. Unfortunately, it’s still an issue a year after I bought them. I have to adjust them at least every 30 minutes when the pressure point build up. I’m been thinking of doing some McGyver padding solution with duct tape and an old sock or something, but I haven’t come around yet :D.

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,525 of 1,671
I haven't done a direct comparison between the B&O and the QC35 on a plane. However I have with a Sennheiser 550 and QC35 and was surprised how close they were and if anything, the QC35 let in a little more whine noise. The B&O ANC is clearly better than the 550s so I think there would be little difference on a plane, and that's with the H9i. The 550s had worse ANC than the Bose in most other at home tests, but plane noise, I preferred them over the Bose.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,526 of 1,671
Hi all, has anyone had issue with their H9i staying connected to iPhone/iPad after physically switching it off via the slider? Mine does this from time to time (more often than not) and I’m wondering if I should get it repaired.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #1,527 of 1,671
Ended up returning the H9 3rd gen. Goes back to the headband comfort issues I mentioned before. Thought it was getting better, but honestly there’s just a constant feeling of pressure on top of my head when using them. The relief I felt by switching back to my NCH700 was very telling.

That said, if comfort is not an issue for you I highly recommend the H9 3rd gen. The build quality is great, and the sound fits my preferences quite well. My NCH700 sounds quite grainy and boomy in comparison. I think that’s partly frame of reference since I’ve gotten used to to the H9 sound the past 4 days and haven’t touched the 700 at all. It’s comparable to how bad I feel the XM3 sounds compared to the QC35ii and 700.

Guess I’ll wait to see if they make any headband adjustments next gen. I also prefer the H9 circular ear pads. They work great with my glasses

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,528 of 1,671
Ended up returning the H9 3rd gen. Goes back to the headband comfort issues I mentioned before. Thought it was getting better, but honestly there’s just a constant feeling of pressure on top of my head when using them. The relief I felt by switching back to my NCH700 was very telling.

That said, if comfort is not an issue for you I highly recommend the H9 3rd gen. The build quality is great, and the sound fits my preferences quite well. My NCH700 sounds quite grainy and boomy in comparison. I think that’s partly frame of reference since I’ve gotten used to to the H9 sound the past 4 days and haven’t touched the 700 at all. It’s comparable to how bad I feel the XM3 sounds compared to the QC35ii and 700.

Guess I’ll wait to see if they make any headband adjustments next gen. I also prefer the H9 circular ear pads. They work great with my glasses

That's a bummer man, that was my issue with the first gen, was hoping this would be comfortable enough to get the job done on 6 hour flights. Selling my 1st Gen QC35 and JBL Project Rocks so I can fund something wireless with a decent SQ. As much as I love some of the higher end things I've owned in the past I just don't sit and listen like that anymore. I may still give these a go, doesn't seem to be many better options at the moment.

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #1,529 of 1,671
It's quite difficult to find good comparisons between the H9i and H9v3.

Could someone confirm that THE only differences are:
  • Better batterylife
  • aptX codec
And thats it? I mainly use iPhone or iPad as a source, so the aptX does not make any difference, right? Other than that they are identical? I would go for the H9i for 293 Euro insead of H9v3 for 450 Euro..

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #1,530 of 1,671
H9i has a user replaceable battery. That alone makes it worth more to me even though it's cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back