B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Sep 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,502 of 1,671
Tried them wired with 3.5mm to my FiiO X1 and they sound very well, and respond very well to the FiiO equaliser.

Then I plugged the 3.5mm also in the Plantronics BackBeat Pro... No chance, they definitely sound much much better than the H9, even for how much I love the H9. Highs are stellar on both, but the PLT BBP have those sharp basses... Mixed with those sparkling trebles... I will definitely miss them.

H9 are just a little microscopic tiny bit warmer than the BBP. But the BBP signature really for me is something to die for.

Also another unpleasant notice about the H9: they do work when connected to my Pixel 3 via USB-C, but the audio volume is unbearably low. Like half than it is with Bluetooth, or one third of how it is when USB-C'd to the laptop.
I'm 99% sure it's an Android issue though.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #1,503 of 1,671
Are you 100% sure? Because it does it even after it's connected to my phone, and if I instead disconnect the phone by turning off the BT, the headphones still don't do it again :frowning2:

I've found that if I have paired to more than one device, even if I'm connected to one of them it'll still keep searching for the other one and make that high pitched noise. If I reset it and only pair one device, the noise goes away soon after connecting. Seems to me like something that could be easily fixed with an update.

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,504 of 1,671
Oh, not noticed that!

Anyway, a recent update of the B&O app on Android took a new option for the H9:

"Enable automatic standby
When turned on, the headphones will automatically go to standby after 15 minutes without an active source. To use active noise cancellation without listening to music, turn automatic standby off."

Unfortunately, it seems for me the switch is not working. Whether I keep the toggle on or off (it's like the ANC and transparency toggles), it will revert to "off" right after I leave that screen. BUT it will actually be "on" (the automatic standby mode itself).

Also, this update of the B&O app brought two bugs:

- it messed up with the customised name of the headphones (they went from "Beoplay H9 3rd Gen" to something like "¶∆3h3" so it was probably a text encoding issue, I deleted it and put it back as it was before and it seems it's fine now)
- the listening modes customisable with the "dot" you can drag, now show the ring by default at an offset (a bit above the actual position), I don't know if this is a bug related to the "stretched" aspect ratio of my phone (18:9) or not (anyway, it definitely wasn't there before - it used to not to have this "problem")

Anybody of you noticed the same?

Edit: just discovered that in the sound customisation screen, where you can move the white dot, you can also pinch-to-zoom it! But I can't seem to understand how it affects the sound. Your opinions guys?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #1,505 of 1,671
Tried them wired with 3.5mm to my FiiO X1 and they sound very well, and respond very well to the FiiO equaliser.

Then I plugged the 3.5mm also in the Plantronics BackBeat Pro... No chance, they definitely sound much much better than the H9, even for how much I love the H9. Highs are stellar on both, but the PLT BBP have those sharp basses... Mixed with those sparkling trebles... I will definitely miss them.

H9 are just a little microscopic tiny bit warmer than the BBP. But the BBP signature really for me is something to die for.

Also another unpleasant notice about the H9: they do work when connected to my Pixel 3 via USB-C, but the audio volume is unbearably low. Like half than it is with Bluetooth, or one third of how it is when USB-C'd to the laptop.
I'm 99% sure it's an Android issue though.

Do you have the original BBP or the BBP 2? I have the BBP 2 (and the H9i, the second gen of H9), and I’m a little surprised at your description of the sound between the two. Also, I had read of the low volume issues on the H9 but I actually found at least on my iPhone that the Momentum 2 Wireless has less volume than the H9i.

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,506 of 1,671
Do you have the original BBP or the BBP 2? I have the BBP 2 (and the H9i, the second gen of H9), and I’m a little surprised at your description of the sound between the two. Also, I had read of the low volume issues on the H9 but I actually found at least on my iPhone that the Momentum 2 Wireless has less volume than the H9i.

Hello!

I have the original BBP, not the second version.

And I confirm you everything else about the H9 3rd Gen.

Oct 14, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #1,508 of 1,671
Hey everyone:) I recently picked up a lovely pair of H9i’s and this is my first day out and about using them, but I’ve noticed a loud electronic “thunk” noise, mostly from the right earcup, with any particularly heavy footsteps? I’m sure there are many people who use their headphones for running etc so I’d like to think this isn’t normal behaviour? Has anyone else experienced this, or read of anyone who has? Thanks!

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,509 of 1,671
Now you mention the "thunk" noise, I remember noticing it when I first got my pair, particularly when outside and stepping heavily off a curb or jogging (briefly) to catch the bus.

I was initially disappointed with this but assumed that it was just related to the noise-canceling microphones and have since learned to put up with it. I guess I thought that they aren't really designed as 'active' headphones, so didn't give it much more thought.

My pair is still well within warranty though, so I'd also be interested to know whether this is normal, or if something is wrong.

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #1,511 of 1,671
For me at least, it doesn’t happen when just walking normally. It only happens occasionally when I step down hard - say from a train onto the platform, or from a bus onto the pavement.

I’m not sure I can describe it any better than 8lliott did a couple of posts ago. It’s a very loud “thunk” in the right ear.

I guess I should try to diagnose it a bit better - eg does it happen only when ANC is switched on, etc. But as it only happens occasionally, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to successfully replicate it at will.

Anyone else having this issue? Or does it sound like a fault?

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #1,512 of 1,671
For me at least, it doesn’t happen when just walking normally. It only happens occasionally when I step down hard - say from a train onto the platform, or from a bus onto the pavement.

I’m not sure I can describe it any better than 8lliott did a couple of posts ago. It’s a very loud “thunk” in the right ear.

I guess I should try to diagnose it a bit better - eg does it happen only when ANC is switched on, etc. But as it only happens occasionally, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to successfully replicate it at will.

I know that sound! I only get it if I stomp down hard or bump into something. To me it sounds a bit like the noise you get if you tap a microphone with your finger.
I typically only use my headphones while sitting or laying down, so it's not a big deal for me.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,513 of 1,671
To me it sounds a bit like the noise you get if you tap a microphone with your finger.

That's a great description - it's similarly loud and uncomfortable to hear. That's probably why I originally assumed it was something to do with the ANC - somehow related to the microphones that monitor external sound to be canceled.

From a small amount of very unscientific testing on my way to work this morning, I think it only happens when ANC is switched on. I'll continue to test/monitor.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,514 of 1,671
Hey everyone:) I recently picked up a lovely pair of H9i’s and this is my first day out and about using them, but I’ve noticed a loud electronic “thunk” noise, mostly from the right earcup, with any particularly heavy footsteps? I’m sure there are many people who use their headphones for running etc so I’d like to think this isn’t normal behaviour? Has anyone else experienced this, or read of anyone who has? Thanks!

Now you mention the "thunk" noise, I remember noticing it when I first got my pair, particularly when outside and stepping heavily off a curb or jogging (briefly) to catch the bus.

I was initially disappointed with this but assumed that it was just related to the noise-canceling microphones and have since learned to put up with it. I guess I thought that they aren't really designed as 'active' headphones, so didn't give it much more thought.

My pair is still well within warranty though, so I'd also be interested to know whether this is normal, or if something is wrong.

I know that sound! I only get it if I stomp down hard or bump into something. To me it sounds a bit like the noise you get if you tap a microphone with your finger.
I typically only use my headphones while sitting or laying down, so it's not a big deal for me.

That's a great description - it's similarly loud and uncomfortable to hear. That's probably why I originally assumed it was something to do with the ANC - somehow related to the microphones that monitor external sound to be canceled.

From a small amount of very unscientific testing on my way to work this morning, I think it only happens when ANC is switched on. I'll continue to test/monitor.

What you guys are hearing are indeed the “negative” waves caused by the ANC mic. This also happens when a wind blows. At these scenarios, the processor is overwhelmed by the loudness of those noises and therefore unable to compensate them.

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,515 of 1,671
Thanks for all the responses! It only occurred with ANC activated for me, which seems to fit with what’s being said about the headphones not being able to compensate for such a loud noise. Unfortunately for me it was happening every 5 footsteps (though I was wearing leather-soled shoes which are pretty unforgiving) which made ANC unusable while walking. I have since contacted Peter Tyson (where i bought them) and am in the process of returning:frowning2:

I definitely haven’t the money to be upgrading to the H9 generation 3’s, but does this problem persist with the new models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back