B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Oct 14, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,291 of 1,671
So to kick some life into this thread :) When do you guys think B&O's next big pair of flagship headphones will go retail?
This pair just came out in February. Sadly I don’t know what their history of release times have been.

The competition releases every 2 years or so.

Next one would be the H10. You know they are going to make a big deal about this one.

They can either go two ways. No noise cancellation and focus on making it a legendary sounding headphone.

Or appeal to the masses with more noise cancellation, different design.

I’m betting on the first option simply because if you look at their line of headphones each number is a specialty. For B&O it isn’t simply a version 1 2 and 3, instead they have lines of headphone catagories. The H6 is a over ear wired, H7 is over ear wireless I think, H8 is the on ear, H9 is the noise cancelling. So I’m assuming H10 will be focused on end all legendary non noise cancelling sound performance.

Edit: dare I say B&O planar magnetic ?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #1,292 of 1,671
I have a problem with my h9i and maybe someone could help me with telling me if it's fixable or if I should return the pair for repairs.

Every time I remove the headphone from my head and put them back on the touch pad stops working for about a minute or two. All except the pause and play gesture, but every other gesture doesn't work. It doesn't mattet if I turn then off or on, it needs a few minutes to resume normal function.

I tried disabling the proximity sensor, enabling it back, reseting the headphone, updating the softwear, leaving just the default factory softwear. Nothing helped

I have the headphones for about 5 months and this problem accured around a month ago

Is there a fix to this or should I just return them for repairs, since they're still in warranty?
The H9i are buggy as hell, which is why I returned mine. Since you're past any return period, I would open a ticket and send them in. It may take a while, but at least you might get another pair. If you dropped it or there is damage, they may not honor the warranty.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #1,293 of 1,671
It is very disappointing reading about these bugs/issues.

I listened to a number of Bluetooth headphones the other day and I felt the h9i was the best sounding one. Easily my preferred option.

Using the beoplay iPhone app it would not register me swiping down when it adked me to. And then i reaf all the issues here.

And they are currently 20% off here in Australia through a retailer due to an ebay offer.

And b&o have just changed distributors here on Australia so that certainly gives me no piece of mind to purchase them

I guess I’ll just have to wait til another Bluetooth headphone comes along and grabs my attention.

I felt the h9i was the best balanced in sound - tbe ones i tried included audio technicas, px, beyer. Only the sonys weren’t there buy they read like they are too bassy for me

Bummer!!:frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,294 of 1,671
For those that use the h9i how is the Bluetooth reliability when using it when commuting?

I do appreciate the limitations of Bluetooth depending on the number of other devices in an area but does the connectivity stay strong whem walking around?

I ask that as i think i would use the h9i 50% of the time when walking around. Thianks in advance

Edit. The other day when demoiing it the connectivity was good when sitting down but when walking over to the VERY BUSY train station across the road the connectivity was woeful

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,295 of 1,671
So, i just received my new Beoplay H9 refurbished from an Ebay seller

It pairs up fine with my phone and computer, and plays fine. everything works exept.

when i press pause on the touch display on the headset itself, it crashes, and just makes the music "stutter"

It does not pause, and if i afterwards move the button to off, it does not turn itself off, untill i take

the battery out.

The problem occours on my phone and laptop.

The headset is updated to the latest firmware from the B&O app.

I am tempted to remove the cushion and open up into the panel to try and see if anything ain't working..

I have tried pairing it again, and i did a factory reset too..

I don't know wether i will keep this or my B&W PX.. lovw the bassy sound of the B&O but untill now, the PX actually works..

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #1,296 of 1,671
I’ve had my h9i’s for a few days and I am generally pleased, although I have a couple of quibbles. The SQ with ANC enabled doesn’t quite cut it. While not horrible, the difference is striking. I will avoid ANC unless I’m in very noisy surroundings.

But my biggest complaint is the comfort of the headband. After only 5-10 minutes of wear, The top of my head starts to ache. It’s a piercing pain I’ve never had with any headphone I’ve owned or tried. The cushion is sparse, but I have had headphones without any cushion on the headband at all and still never had a problem like this. I am wondering if this is something I will get used to or that will disappear after some wear-in, because as it is now, I’d have to return them.

Has anyone had a similar experience? All reviewers rave about how comfy these headphones are, so I was really let down by this.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,297 of 1,671
Hi,

I am curious if anyone has experienced the same issue on H9i as I did. If I turn on the headphones, the right earcup starts emitting high-frequency noise. The noise appears repeatedly for 5 secs with 1 sec pause.

Does not matter if the headphones is paired or not. Neither ANC is on or off. And the same for the proximity sensor. I have tried with more BT devices, the same result.

I have tested two headphones h9i. Both had a similar problem. (FW 5.0.3 and 5.0.4)

The only solution to remove hiss is:
  1. turn off bluetooth on the phone
  2. turn on headphones (noise is still there)
  3. turn on bluetooth on the phone
  4. after headphones are connected to the phone, the noise disappears.
Thanks!

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,298 of 1,671
Hi,

I am curious if anyone has experienced the same issue on H9i as I did. If I turn on the headphones, the right earcup starts emitting high-frequency noise. The noise appears repeatedly for 5 secs with 1 sec pause.

Does not matter if the headphones is paired or not. Neither ANC is on or off. And the same for the proximity sensor. I have tried with more BT devices, the same result.

I have tested two headphones h9i. Both had a similar problem. (FW 5.0.3 and 5.0.4)

The only solution to remove hiss is:
  1. turn off bluetooth on the phone
  2. turn on headphones (noise is still there)
  3. turn on bluetooth on the phone
  4. after headphones are connected to the phone, the noise disappears.
Thanks!
That has been reported before - there is an apparent lack of shielding internally so what you're hearing is the sound of the bluetooth radio trying to pair with existing devices (to which it can't immediately connect). It stops after about five minutes or so, so I'd only class this as a mild annoyance.

Presumably forcing the bluetooth connection after switching on the headphones (as you're doing) causes the H9i radio to stop scanning for other devices.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,299 of 1,671
Hi

Thanks!

Yup, I have the exakt same issue. The noise disappears by itself after a while though. I haven’t measured exactly how long, but perhaps a couple of minutes.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,300 of 1,671
That has been reported before - there is an apparent lack of shielding internally so what you're hearing is the sound of the bluetooth radio trying to pair with existing devices (to which it can't immediately connect). It stops after about five minutes or so, so I'd only class this as a mild annoyance.

Presumably forcing the bluetooth connection after switching on the headphones (as you're doing) causes the H9i radio to stop scanning for other devices.

Thanks for the response!

So I have two options now - Live with it or return them back. It's something that can not be repaired by FW.

I love the sound, I love the look... very hard decision, indeed...

PS: I have not seen any alternative.... maybe B&W PX?

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #1,301 of 1,671
Thanks for the response!

So I have two options now - Live with it or return them back. It's something that can not be repaired by FW.

Have you got/had more than one device paired to the headphones? I wonder if you've only ever had a single device pairing whether it would continue the radio scan? I've not tried it myself, but maybe a reset and re-pair might help if that is the case...

Me, I chose to live with it personally. It is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and I love the sound and comfort so much.

IMO the PX isn't even close on comfort. The sound signature is pretty exciting, but it lacks the to-die-for sub-bass extension on the H9i. The Sony WH-1000XM3 is good at ANC, but I to me sounds a a bit muddy and suffers from a very cheap build quality compared to the luxury of the B&O.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,302 of 1,671
Thanks for the response!

Put on some music and you won’t hear the noise. And after a little while it’s gone.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,303 of 1,671
Have you got/had more than one device paired to the headphones? I wonder if you've only ever had a single device pairing whether it would continue the radio scan? I've not tried it myself, but maybe a reset and re-pair might help if that is the case...

Me, I chose to live with it personally. It is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and I love the sound and comfort so much.

IMO the PX isn't even close on comfort. The sound signature is pretty exciting, but it lacks the to-die-for sub-bass extension on the H9i. The Sony WH-1000XM3 is good at ANC, but I to me sounds a a bit muddy and suffers from a very cheap build quality compared to the luxury of the B&O.

I have the same opinion about the wh-1000xm3. The sound was far away from "clear". Built quality was mediocre and more functions does not necessarily mean better headphones. And the bass... very annoying... I tested pair for a while.

H9i: I had paired more devices at once and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the noise was still there. Number of devices does not affect the behavior. As has been said, searching for a new devices emmits the noise and I confirm it.

The only way stop searching is to wait for 5 minutes or turn on BT device later than headphones

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,305 of 1,671
Thanks for the response!

Over the past few weeks, i have bought a H9 an H9I and a B&W PX.. i sold two of them, and kept the H9I. The comfort on the H9i is better, i mean down to the smell of the headset, it's just mesmerizing!
The PX was a small distance better on the treble to be honest, it was just a teeny tiny more balanced in sound.
But the Bass on the H9i and the ability to use the Beoplay app to configure the equalizer, took the win for me.
the carry case on the PX was better looking altough.

my head got sore after wearing the PX for 2-3 hours use, i have not had the same problem with the H9I.

It seems like my phone has easier connecting to the H9I rather than the px.

The touch display on the right earcup functions better on the H9I than the H9, if i were to say something about the two of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back