B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jun 2, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #1,097 of 1,671
That’s it. The latest one as I mentioned. :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,100 of 1,671
After installing 5.0.4 it feels like the left earcup is slightly louder than the right one. Anyone else has the same issue? Any idea what i could do? Thanks
Going to be honest with you I’ve kept silent on this issue for a few months,

I always thought it was my ears, or mabye the music but it ever so slightly louder than the right. Thanks for confirming my beliefs.

I went to Best Buy and compared with the other H9i on display, I used the same tracks as the display and I could hear a slight difference.

From what I gather the left ear may be slightly louder because of the earpads. It’s mass production and each ear pad is shaped ever so slightly different so let’s say , the padding on one ear pad is slightly less than the other it means the speaker is closer to your head , which in turn means it’s louder.

I don’t know I just hope it’s not a problem with the drivers, and checking b&o customer service reviews they may not give a care about me.

Last but not least if you go in the app and check the sound signature editor , if you expand the circle you can hear how the sound in one ear seems louder than the other to simulate a larger sound stage, I’m thinking bang and Olufsen set a difference in one driver to simulate it, but that’s just a theory.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,101 of 1,671
Going to be honest with you I’ve kept silent on this issue for a few months,

I always thought it was my ears, or mabye the music but it ever so slightly louder than the right. Thanks for confirming my beliefs.

I went to Best Buy and compared with the other H9i on display, I used the same tracks as the display and I could hear a slight difference.

From what I gather the left ear may be slightly louder because of the earpads. It’s mass production and each ear pad is shaped ever so slightly different so let’s say , the padding on one ear pad is slightly less than the other it means the speaker is closer to your head , which in turn means it’s louder.

I don’t know I just hope it’s not a problem with the drivers, and checking b&o customer service reviews they may not give a care about me.

Last but not least if you go in the app and check the sound signature editor , if you expand the circle you can hear how the sound in one ear seems louder than the other to simulate a larger sound stage, I’m thinking bang and Olufsen set a difference in one driver to simulate it, but that’s just a theory.
You’re not wrong. To simulate a bigger space in a room, they have to make delays in corresponding sounds because of how soundwave actually travels in a room. The bigger the room is, the more delay it will take to produce the “depth”. Now, the differences are imperceptible for most people more often than not, but apparently some of us do notice it. I am guessing that at the most extreme setting, B&O puts more than 40ms delay causing this problem.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,103 of 1,671
Hmm the strange thing is that i didnt noticed it on the previous firmware
Actually I’ve observed that even since the H7.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,105 of 1,671
Just installed the latest firmware. Now when I power the unit off and hear the sound there is some static in it. I am not sure but I also think there may be some static in regular playback too. Has anyone noticed this? Is there any way to reload or reset the firmware?

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,108 of 1,671
I'm taking these on a test drive. Is there any fix for the low volume? My B&W Px gets a LOT louder and this is kind of an issue...

EDIT: I'll say that so far I really, really like these. The ANC isn't Sony level but it's really damn good, the ambient mode works ridiculously well, and even though the sound is presented very differently from the PX I think it's tied for best sounding BT set I've heard. Main quirk is the volume control. It's just, like... impossible to fine tune.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,109 of 1,671
It is just a first day with H9i and noticed one thing.. I tested them at shop on previous firmware and was impressed with the nice v shape and smooth presentation.. at home they updated to latest and hmm maybe they need a burn-in but they presented a lot of delicate but audible distortion in all frequencies... funny ... They instantly proved how competent technically B&W PX are... like a different league... PX are a bit rolled off and that makes them sound closed but they don’t show any of the technical problems H9i showed. Playing with App showed that only in slightly warm they hide a bit of that. Again it’s not a major thing.. but surprising in this price range. Is it possible that it’s a firmware issue or lack of burn-in?
They are most comfortable headphones I tried.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #1,110 of 1,671
Seems like a lot of people have mentioned the distortion. I haven't noticed it myself? Maybe it's a quirk from some of the installations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back