B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #661 of 1,671
Do the Beoplay app ToneTounch settings get saved to the HP and stay across multiple devices? I only have my H9 connected to my iPhone 7 Plus now, but was curious if the sound would go back to default when I connect to my iPad or Mac.

It does not remember across devices. I actually put in a request to BEO regarding this in hopes of the feature making it to a future update. My crappy JBL Everest can store EQ... but this $500 can can't? :\

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #662 of 1,671
Got my H9 delivered today and wow, these are great! Coming from the H6 gen2 and having heard mixed things about the H9, I had semi-low expectations. I tweaked the tone in the BeoPlay app and absolutely love the sound here! A bit more bass than the H6, but overall a very similar sound signature.

I had tried the Beats Studio 3, B&W PX, and Sennheiser Momentum HD1 wireless. None of them sounded as good to me as the H9.

The touch controls are taking a bit to get used to, but I don't think they'll be a huge issue. I've never really used the inline remote much on my H6, so I'm not too worried about it.

My only concern is the size of the ear cushions. The inner part seems smaller than my H6, which was already fairly small. The cushions definitely sit on top of my ears and both the top and bottom lobes of my right ear fall inside the cushion a bit. I'm a little worried about long term comfort, but I'm going to keep listening and hope they loosen up a bit.

Came in with low expectations and thought there was a chance I was going to return them, but instantly fell in love!

Hey can you share your EQ settings in tonetouch here? It would be great to see at which setting it sounds very similar to amazing H6s.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #663 of 1,671
Hey can you share your EQ settings in tonetouch here? It would be great to see at which setting it sounds very similar to amazing H6s.

Sure! Here’s a screenshot of where I put the EQ. If there’s another way to share it, let me know. I couldn’t find anything :frowning2:

90581735-ED8F-49ED-99C0-9834AF9A5CDF.png

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #664 of 1,671
Been using the H9 for some weeks now,
think I have about 60-70 hours use.
Connected to my phone using Apt-x.
The bass seem to tighten up and getting more defined after approximately 40 hours.
The mids also get a touch more defined as a result of this.
It's not a analytic headphone, but always wonderful sound/music with deep bass regardless of music type.
This is now my main headphone for enjoying music, relaxing, walking and work

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #665 of 1,671
BEOPLAY H9 VS BOWERS & WILKINS PX

(Just because this thread wasn't long enough already :) )

Here are my notes comparing the B&O H9 with the B&W PX - I've got both of these excellent headphones for a trial and need to choose. Not quite there yet - thoughts welcomed.

Testing primarily with an iPhone X, listening mostly to classical music and jazz with a bit of rock; source (until I get on the road) is Roon player on iPhone. (My normal listening environment is a Linn Klimax DS and Exakt Akubariks; and ACS T1 IEMs on the road.) I'll also use these for phone calls from iPhone, movies on iPad, and FaceTime from iPad and Mac.

Sound:

- Both are very listenable with plenty of detail and a good soundstage. B&O has a lovely warm sound, kind to most music I've tried. B&W slightly more clinical.

- B&Os are bass heavy. Perhaps too much so. This means that for some recordings, my attention was drawn too much to some elements - in particular, the rumble of a concert hall just before a piece of music starts, or the mechanics of a piano (try Diana Krall, "Just the Way You Are" from Live in Paris, admittedly mastered with too much thump). Or in Schubert's Trout Quintet (Takacs Quartet) I get just too much double bass. Of course, for other tracks, like Rickie Lee Jones, "Chuck E.'s in Love", the pedal bass drum drives the music forward powerfully with a heavy bass like these phones.
B&Ws are neater on the bass but I found some tendency towards shrillness for sopranos. B&Ws also bring out more midrange contrast - eg in St Vincent "Digital Witness" on the B&Ws the opening is all about the brass, whereas the B&O's are all about the bass thump.

- B&Os have low maximum volume. Others have discussed this here and elsewhere. It depends on what you are listening to. So far, almost everything in my repertoire has been "adequately" loud; and for some pop recordings (yes, you, Katy Perry's engineer with your powerful compressor) I needed to trim it back a little as it was close to my hearing limit. However there are times when I wanted to turn it up louder - for example, the Prelude to Wagner's Die Meistersinger (Chailly conducting) needs that full orchestral loudness to make it exciting, and I felt the B&O just refused to do what I wanted. The clarinet solo at the start of Sibelius Symphony no 1 (Vanska / Minnesota) was a strain to hear. I also needed more room to turn up the sound track on movies.

Noise reduction:

- The two headphones are very different and probably a matter of personal preference. B&W has excellent isolation and very good noise reduction, but when you turn up the noise reduction it alters the sound. B&O's noise reduction is less efficient but leaves the sound untouched; and you feel a little more in touch with the world around you. On balance I think the B&O is more relaxing to listen to, and the B&W feels like a noise elimination machine clamped to my head.

Comfort:

- The B&O has extraordinarily soft earpieces, which give a lovely comfortable feeling. Sadly this is not matched by the hard headband, which constantly reminds me it's there by pressing on my scalp.

- The B&W clamps firmly around my ears and is comfortable (although not so pleasant right after wearing the soft B&Os!).

Bluetooth connectivity:

- Both appear to connect to multiple devices (8 on B&W, unstated on B&O but I got at least four to work).

- Multiple sources: B&O is less reliable and sophisticated than the B&W here. I've had several peculiar scenarios in switching between devices. Whereas the B&W mostly "just works" when you pick up a device and play it (it listens to the most recent input), the B&Os involve some complicated (and undocumented) dance of turning Bluetooth off and on, then reconnecting using menus on the device. This is quite frustrating - eg when I want to switch from watching a movie on my iPad to listening to my iPhone or making a call. Also my Mac seems to grab the connection when I am trying to switch between phone and iPad.

Phone calls: (these seem to be rarely covered in reviews)

- The other party reports that on both pairs I sound as though I am in an empty room (due to the distance from mouth to microphone) but preferred the sound of the B&O which they felt was crisper.

Portability:

- Both pairs collapse flat but are still bulky items to slip into a shoulder bag.

- Both come with a soft bag - B&W's is better padded and presented, and includes a little pocket for a cable. For me, a soft bag is fine as the phones will go into my shoulder bag and I just need to protect them from scratching my iPad or vice versa; a hard bag may take up too much space. What a shame that B&O chose to use such cheap and nasty material for their bag; they could have a spent a few more krone on something which fits their brand better.

- B&O comes with an adapter for airplane sockets (although I've not been on a plane with those old twin two-pin plugs in a decade).

- B&O has micro-USB (compatible with so many other things therefore easy if I forget a cable), B&W has USB-C (pleasantly reversible and the way of the future). Both work.

User interface:

- As others have commented, the touch panel idea is quirky and a bit unreliable (eg volume does not always respond). However compared with the PX and others, its probably easier than hunting for little buttons.

- What lunatic specified this double-touch-to-redial function?? Perhaps for 0.01% of users this is a useful function. For the rest of us, it is a complete pain. Easily accidentally triggered, the consequences can be highly embarrassing (calling a client at 2am for example!). Worse, there are some implementation quirks - eg when putting my headphones down after listening on the phone, it originated a call not on my iPhone but on my iPad which had previously been connected. B&O really need to fix this (eg allow us to disable the feature) because this is one of those cases where the price of accidental misbehaviour is far greater than any potential utility. I don't want to live in fear of dialling the wrong person accidentally (especially as I have outbound caller ID switched on, so if I dial and hang up it is likely the called person will ring me back and that's even more embarrassing).

- Not sure why I need to manually enable Bluetooth with the switch each time I turn the phones on. Surely if there is no cable plugged in, it should automatically enable Bluetooth?

- The phone gives the same beep tone when ANR is switched on and off; and the same tone for "Bluetooth on", "Bluetooth off", and "pairing": this is a beginner's UI design mistake.

- The B&W has a user interface which is broadly similar, via an array of confusing (and unlabelled) buttons including one peculiar switch which can be pushed as well as slid. However it also benefits (or suffers, depending on your use case) from automatic sensing which will pause music when you lift an ear, and put the phones into sleep mode when you set them on your desk. I found this very helpful, although it does get it wrong occasionally. It's also a bit weird that when you put the B&Ws on, they not only connect but also continue playing the last thing you were listening to.

- Both have apps (with nonstandard IOS controls) but the B&W one often failed to connect to the headphones.

In summary:

- Both highly credible devices but B&O seems (so far) my personal preference due to less "isolated" feeling, more fluid and rich sound

- B&O have the opportunity to improve several things in software: disable (or make optional) the "call last number" feature, increase the max volume, improve the UI tone responses, and add better handling when switching between sources. I know B&W have been improving their software - it will be interesting to see whether B&O does this too (or just dumps old models and tries to sell us new ones).

- I strongly suggest B&O need a simple switch on the app, to add some bass rolloff (the current EQ settings don't address this specifically). For some users these phones will be too bassy and it would be a shame if B&O lost sales of such a nice product because of this. This is the one thing holding me back so far.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #667 of 1,671
Someone in another thread mentioned rumors of a Beoplay H9i with updated features. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes it is happening! New features include:

- Better HYBRID ANC that can block out voices on low frequencies

- Transparency Mode for awareness of the surroundings

- Battery life extended from 14 hours to 18 hours

- Now it can be paired to 2 devices at the same time

- Auto turn-off feature when you don't use the headphones for a while (I really needed that)

- Auto-Pause feature for when you take headphones off your ears

- New bass port for solid bass and amazing sound quality

- 2 extra mics for voice calls only

- Usb-C cable instead of micro-USB

- You can charge the headphones and listen to music at the same time

- Also, increased max volume (They did not mention that but I don't think it can get any lower after all those complaints)

More details here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...F8&qid=1515331070&sr=8-1&keywords=beoplay+h9i

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #668 of 1,671

- Auto turn-off feature when you don't use the headphones for a while (I really needed that)

- Also, increased max volume (They did not mention that but I don't think it can get any lower after all those complaints)

More details here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...F8&qid=1515331070&sr=8-1&keywords=beoplay+h9i
Wow. I can't quite believe it!

I've been trying out the B&W PX Wireless headphones for a couple of months after using the H9s for a year. It looks like B&O took the best features of the PXs and put them into the H9s.

Have you seen info on the H9i anywhere else online? I wonder when they'll be available in North America.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #669 of 1,671
Nice to see B&O improving on the H9s, however these are way too expensive for me to double up on. They'll be pretty pricey even if I offset the cost by selling off my current H9s. Perhaps in a year or two.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #670 of 1,671
Wow. I can't quite believe it!

I've been trying out the B&W PX Wireless headphones for a couple of months after using the H9s for a year. It looks like B&O took the best features of the PXs and put them into the H9s.

Have you seen info on the H9i anywhere else online? I wonder when they'll be available in North America.
First delivery will be January 24th for the US.

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #672 of 1,671

More details here:

Damn, sounds beyond sweet. Might be exactly what i'm looking for... except the price tag (OUCH).
(Amazon link is not working for me).

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #673 of 1,671
Doh, I just bought my H9 in December, and now they're upgrading and fixing all the issues I have with the headphones (and they've only been on the market for a year).

I wonder how much of this can and will get put back into the H9 with a firmware update?

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #674 of 1,671
Doh, I just bought my H9 in December, and now they're upgrading and fixing all the issues I have with the headphones (and they've only been on the market for a year).

I wonder how much of this can and will get put back into the H9 with a firmware update?

This is exactly what I am wondering as well. I've had mine for quite a few months now and I really love them, apart from the (firmware related?) issues that have already been mentioned here and in other reviews. Auto turn-off feature, increase of volume and memorizing the prefered EQ settings from the Beoplay app should be fixed on the H9 model as it is right now. Actually memorizing the EQ presets from the app without opening the app WAS working before the update that they rolled out this summer. After the update, you now have to restart the app each time you reconnect to the headphone and select your preset. I told B&O about this, they said they were aware of it and that they will fix it again, but they couldn't tell me when. And also, no one at B&O could make clear to me what the other improvements of the update were (all the information they could provide was that it had fixed ''minor issues'' which were not specified). So bottom line, that whole update was pointless in my point of view and actually broke something that was working. If they now fix all those issues with a H9i version and will the H9 as it is, it will unfortunately be a sign that they don't take the existing customer seriously and their main focus is the buck. I wonder if some of you have more information about a new firmware update?

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #675 of 1,671
Damn, sounds beyond sweet. Might be exactly what i'm looking for... except the price tag (OUCH).
(Amazon link is not working for me).

Wow, amazon just withdrew the listing. Maybe we saw something that we weren't supposed to see :)

It said due to be released on the 10th. So expect a newsletter from B&O tomorrow with the subject line "We are releasing a new product".

also check this out, there is more proof that it is actually happening. The amazon listing had all the photos and everything though.

https://fccid.io/TTUBEOPLAYH9I/Letter/LOA-3645220

Edit: I managed to reached the cached site on google search results.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....Black/dp/B078HSVK7M+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back