B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 13, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #406 of 1,671

A touch more isolation due to over ear, but quality/level of the ANC basically the same. Over ear is more comfortable to me, so in the H8 vs. H9, I'd go H9, and I found the H9 a bit more comfortable overall but I didn't get a night/day WOW for SQ or ANC. More similar than different. Keep in mind I don't use BT, so none of that factors in for me.

Again, it's all personal preference on every aspect of this.

Cheers, much appreciated @FenderP 

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #411 of 1,671
I'm going to post this to both the H7 and H9 discussions.  Let me say I am new to this forum and joined to get input on bluetooth headphones.  Was particularly interested in the B&O H7 and H9.  I had gone to the B&O dealer in Colorado and tested both, but left without purchasing either because of the lack of volume in the phones.  Let me say upfront that I am an older rock 'n roller.  I was in radio broadcasting for 32 years prior to moving to my current position.  I've started a number of stations and have been active in concert promotion, as well.  When I was on the air, I pushed the volume hard so that I could "feel" the tempo as I was talking on air.  Now, I'm paying the price.  I've lost some high frequency hearing and now wear hearing aids.  I can do pretty well without the HA's but because I'm the leader of a non-profit organization, it's essential to have voice clarity.  Years ago while in broadcasting I spent over $1K on custom in ear Ultimate Ears monitors.  Best thing I ever did.  Perfect fit that I could wear forever.  The detail and soundstage is amazing.  Even with the HF loss, I could run music through an EQ app on the phone and zone out.  However, when it came to watching movies on the plane, or listening to streaming music, watching You Tube vids, movies and home videos on my iPhone or iPad, the EQ available through iOS is a joke.  I needed to find headphones that I could EQ, and that would hold that EQ from device to device.  The new Jaybird 3X and Freedom do just that - I have a pair of each and absolutely love them.  The sound is surprisingly good.  You can make a change to the EQ and it uploads the change to the earbuds' firmware immediately.  I have a few settings saved and simply select the one on the phone that is appropriate to the listening environment and go, regardless if I'm listening to my TV on bluetooth or any other bluetooth device.  However, having a sealed fit on the buds is essential and it can get uncomfortable for long term listening.

Sorry for the long post, but now we get to the B&Os.  I was looking for a set of over-ear cans that would do the same.  I tried the JBL Elite 700s which save your settings to the firmware.  However, the EQ range is limited and the phones felt heavy and uncomfortable, so I returned them.  A couple days ago I went back to the B&O store and they were very helpful and patient.  I spent about 90 minutes listening to music on the H9 and H7, as well as video on a couple different devices - my iPhone and iPod Nano BT.  There is a coffee shop/cafe adjoining the store, and they let me wander and take my time with each.  The H9 definitely had a limited volume - very hard to drive with either device.  But, I loved the noise cancelling.  It's not the Bose ear pressure isolation, but much more natural and it took enough off the noisy environment to be very pleasing.  On both phones, the BEO Play app provides enough EQ adjustment to bring clarity to the high end and the regular low end boost of the phones gave me a very balanced sound that I was pleased with.  But, the H7s are noticeably louder.  In the end, I left with the purchase of the H7s.

*By the way, the store placed a call to the company in Chicago.  The company followed up with a call to the store after talking to an engineer.  The engineer said that it was not likely that a firmware update would increase the volume of the H9s.  He said that, to his recollection, none of the updates to the H7 increased the volume.  He then gave the sensitivity numbers that I had not seen on the website.  The sensitivity of the H7s is 102 db SPL/mW, while the sensitivity of the H9s is 93 db SPL/mW.  It's very apparent the H7s will always be louder.  BTW, the JBLs had a sensitivity of 
99dB SPL/mW, but has a top of 114db, so they can be driven higher.​

I had thought that the changes made to the EQ were loaded to the cans, but that is not the case.  I downloaded the app to my iPad (it's an iPhone app, but will function on the iPad).  Once set, I could watch video, listen to streaming music and video and regardless of what app I use it maintains the EQ.  But, move to another device, or shut down the phones and later reconnect, you have to open the app and reselect your saved settings.  So, I'm good on my iPad and iPhone, but not with the Nano, since you can't load the app.  Also, while they are still nice with my TV, I would love to EQ the highs for better voice clarity in the shows and movies I watch.

I'm not going to make an audiophile description of the headphones, but they do produce excellent sound and can be adjusted enough through the app to make this purchase worthwhile.  They have a much better sound than the JBLs, but despite the JBLs NC and better features, the JBLs were still $150 cheaper on sale.

A final word about the B&O bluetooth (and I hope B&O reads this).  It runs 4.2, but lacks the features of most newer BT phones.  It can only connect to one device at a time, and you basically have to hold the BT button and connect to different devices each time.  Most newer phones let you connect to 2 devices.  One the Jaybirds, if I'm watching a movie on TV using BT, if I want to adjust the EQ for a particular movie, I just open the Jaybird app on my phone, which is also connected, adjust the EQ, and it instantly adjusts the EQ in firmware in real time.  Incredible.  If the B&Os could connect to 2 devices, I could adjust the EQ on my phone while I was watching TV or using a device that can't run the app.  The other downside is that if you're listening on another device and a phone call comes in, with other phones you could still be connected to your phone and take a call.  Not so with the B&Os.  It's not a deal killer, but this is something that I think could be changed with a firmware update.  Certainly this is a capability of BT 4.2.

BTW, even though I travel quite a bit, including international travel, I don't take full sized phones.  I travel light with just a "man-purse" that holds my iPad and Kindle.  My UEs go with me so I can plug into onboard movies, but I just throw the Nano and Jaybird in my shirt pocket and I'm good to go.  A well-sealed set of buds will drop outside noise by over 20db, so I don't worry about noise cancelling phones.

Long post, I know, but hope there may be something of value here, especially to other boomers who need a little EQ to compensate for the loud rock 'n roll growing up.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #412 of 1,671
I'm going to post this to both the H7 and H9 discussions.  Let me say I am new to this forum and joined to get input on bluetooth headphones.  Was particularly interested in the B&O H7 and H9.  I had gone to the B&O dealer in Colorado and tested both, but left without purchasing either because of the lack of volume in the phones.  Let me say upfront that I am an older rock 'n roller.  I was in radio broadcasting for 32 years prior to moving to my current position.  I've started a number of stations and have been active in concert promotion, as well.  When I was on the air, I pushed the volume hard so that I could "feel" the tempo as I was talking on air.  Now, I'm paying the price.  I've lost some high frequency hearing and now wear hearing aids.  I can do pretty well without the HA's but because I'm the leader of a non-profit organization, it's essential to have voice clarity.  Years ago while in broadcasting I spent over $1K on custom in ear Ultimate Ears monitors.  Best thing I ever did.  Perfect fit that I could wear forever.  The detail and soundstage is amazing.  Even with the HF loss, I could run music through an EQ app on the phone and zone out.  However, when it came to watching movies on the plane, or listening to streaming music, watching You Tube vids, movies and home videos on my iPhone or iPad, the EQ available through iOS is a joke.  I needed to find headphones that I could EQ, and that would hold that EQ from device to device.  The new Jaybird 3X and Freedom do just that - I have a pair of each and absolutely love them.  The sound is surprisingly good.  You can make a change to the EQ and it uploads the change to the earbuds' firmware immediately.  I have a few settings saved and simply select the one on the phone that is appropriate to the listening environment and go, regardless if I'm listening to my TV on bluetooth or any other bluetooth device.  However, having a sealed fit on the buds is essential and it can get uncomfortable for long term listening.

Sorry for the long post, but now we get to the B&Os.  I was looking for a set of over-ear cans that would do the same.  I tried the JBL Elite 700s which save your settings to the firmware.  However, the EQ range is limited and the phones felt heavy and uncomfortable, so I returned them.  A couple days ago I went back to the B&O store and they were very helpful and patient.  I spent about 90 minutes listening to music on the H9 and H7, as well as video on a couple different devices - my iPhone and iPod Nano BT.  There is a coffee shop/cafe adjoining the store, and they let me wander and take my time with each.  The H9 definitely had a limited volume - very hard to drive with either device.  But, I loved the noise cancelling.  It's not the Bose ear pressure isolation, but much more natural and it took enough off the noisy environment to be very pleasing.  On both phones, the BEO Play app provides enough EQ adjustment to bring clarity to the high end and the regular low end boost of the phones gave me a very balanced sound that I was pleased with.  But, the H7s are noticeably louder.  In the end, I left with the purchase of the H7s.

*By the way, the store placed a call to the company in Chicago.  The company followed up with a call to the store after talking to an engineer.  The engineer said that it was not likely that a firmware update would increase the volume of the H9s.  He said that, to his recollection, none of the updates to the H7 increased the volume.  He then gave the sensitivity numbers that I had not seen on the website.  The sensitivity of the H7s is 102 db SPL/mW, while the sensitivity of the H9s is 93 db SPL/mW.  It's very apparent the H7s will always be louder.  BTW, the JBLs had a sensitivity of 
99dB SPL/mW, but has a top of 114db, so they can be driven higher.​

I had thought that the changes made to the EQ were loaded to the cans, but that is not the case.  I downloaded the app to my iPad (it's an iPhone app, but will function on the iPad).  Once set, I could watch video, listen to streaming music and video and regardless of what app I use it maintains the EQ.  But, move to another device, or shut down the phones and later reconnect, you have to open the app and reselect your saved settings.  So, I'm good on my iPad and iPhone, but not with the Nano, since you can't load the app.  Also, while they are still nice with my TV, I would love to EQ the highs for better voice clarity in the shows and movies I watch.

I'm not going to make an audiophile description of the headphones, but they do produce excellent sound and can be adjusted enough through the app to make this purchase worthwhile.  They have a much better sound than the JBLs, but despite the JBLs NC and better features, the JBLs were still $150 cheaper on sale.

A final word about the B&O bluetooth (and I hope B&O reads this).  It runs 4.2, but lacks the features of most newer BT phones.  It can only connect to one device at a time, and you basically have to hold the BT button and connect to different devices each time.  Most newer phones let you connect to 2 devices.  One the Jaybirds, if I'm watching a movie on TV using BT, if I want to adjust the EQ for a particular movie, I just open the Jaybird app on my phone, which is also connected, adjust the EQ, and it instantly adjusts the EQ in firmware in real time.  Incredible.  If the B&Os could connect to 2 devices, I could adjust the EQ on my phone while I was watching TV or using a device that can't run the app.  The other downside is that if you're listening on another device and a phone call comes in, with other phones you could still be connected to your phone and take a call.  Not so with the B&Os.  It's not a deal killer, but this is something that I think could be changed with a firmware update.  Certainly this is a capability of BT 4.2.

BTW, even though I travel quite a bit, including international travel, I don't take full sized phones.  I travel light with just a "man-purse" that holds my iPad and Kindle.  My UEs go with me so I can plug into onboard movies, but I just throw the Nano and Jaybird in my shirt pocket and I'm good to go.  A well-sealed set of buds will drop outside noise by over 20db, so I don't worry about noise cancelling phones.

Long post, I know, but hope there may be something of value here, especially to other boomers who need a little EQ to compensate for the loud rock 'n roll growing up.

I actually really like my Freedoms. They sound pretty damn good. The battery life isn't great but the sound is excellent. There's an EQ setting called "Hi Def Audio" which makes them sound well balanced and excellent.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #413 of 1,671
I finally found a review of these headphones, here it is http://www.headphones.sg/blog/bo-play-h9-review/

I'm trying to decide between the B&O H9 and the Sony MDR-1000X which I am testing right now

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #414 of 1,671
I'm having issues with the right side cutting out when running (don't plan on using them for running in the future, it was just a test to see how well they would stay on my head). The music seems to cut out with a noticeable pop in the right ear.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #415 of 1,671

Well, I can run this as an experiment. B&O are replacing my old H9 (which developed a fault) with a new pair. So if the new pair sounds bass-heavy to me, I'll know that burning in would have done *something* to the sound signature (and it's not just me adjusting my expectations over time).

OK so I got my replacement pair yesterday. First of all, very impressed by B&O. They replaced my headphones with a completely new boxed pair, shrink wrapped and all. Now, having listened to the fresh (i.e. completely new) pair, I can definitely confirm that, out of the box, the bass is overpowering and the mid is flabby. So, yes, burning in does make a big difference. Hope that's of use to somebody.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #417 of 1,671
Hi. I've basically read through this entire thread, thanks for all the reviews and comments. I'm no hifi geek or anything and this is my first post here, so take anything I write with a healthy dose of salt
wink_face.gif
Anyway, I've had and used the Bose QC35 for some months. The ANC is quite impressive, but the vacuum effect or pressure feeling annoys me slightly and I'm not too fond of the sound they produce. It's not bad but it doesn't excite me either. Now, for the B&O H9, I had a chance to try them in a store the other day and it's quite a difference to the B&O. The quality an feel of the hardware is of course excellent. I can't really speak of the ANC other than I didn't notice that vacuum effect and they did lower the overall noise in the store quite well I thought. I quite like the sound of them, both when playing some rock/heavy rock and more quite music. There's been several mentions of them not being able to play very loud. That's not an issue for me, they could play louder than I felt comfortable with. All in all, I'm quite impressed with the H9's and will likely sell my QC35 and buy a pair of H9 soon.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #419 of 1,671
  Jeeeez.. Ordered the black ones. On the label of the box they were mentioned as black. Opened the box and they are argilla grey... w*f...

Amazon?

Happened to me like four times w/ various headphones over the past couple years.  I'm very skeptical of sellers on there as most don't even come shrink wrapped anymore (B&O products should all be shrink wrapped).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back