B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #391 of 1,671
What kind of fault do you mean? I think I am having an issue where the left speaker seems to cut a bit when going over bumps etc on the bus. Not sure now much I should worry about it - could be loose. It seems to me that it is sensitive to bus vibration and more so than the right speaker.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #392 of 1,671

they have about 40-45 hours of usage now.. but still hoping for that to happen.

I know, true, it is. I was mainly pointing to the fact that they don't remember the last state.

for someone who will be using them with ANC on most of the time, it's a 1 step process - just connect and enjoy the music.
for someone who wants to use them with ANC off most of the time, it's a 3 step process - connect, open app to sync EQ, swipe to turn off ANC.

Remember that the app won't work if you're using wired. Not everyone is going to be using BT.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #393 of 1,671
  The app works as long as you're using bluetooth.  You set your preferences in it, and then when the headphone connects to that device, it uses the settings you previous set w/ the headphone.

When you save a setting in the app, it actually uses that setting regardless of the device you connect to.  In a demo I had, it kept the setting with an iPod Nano with no BEO Play app.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #394 of 1,671

When you save a setting in the app, it actually uses that setting regardless of the device you connect to.  In a demo I had, it kept the setting with an iPod Nano with no BEO Play app.

It doesn't keep any settings if you plug the wire back in. I tried that before I returned the H9. The sound seemingly went back to default state.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #395 of 1,671
  also, I notice a difference in sound and volume between using my macbook or my iphone as a source.
I can see on macbook that aptx is used as codec, but not sure if I can check on iphone somehow?

Yup you're right the MacBook transmits using aptx but unfortunately the iPhone at best puts out AAC over A2DP. Thankfully the H9's accept AAC because otherwise you'd be stuck with SBC, which is the worst of all 3. Sound quality from highest to lowest: APTX - AAC - SBC.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #396 of 1,671
AAC on the iPhone will be the Bluetooth "profile" used ONLY in the case that the current song playing is ALSO an AAC file (and not mp3 for example)

@FenderP and everyone else in here that have/had both the H8 and H9:

I received the H8 as a gift recently, I am quite satisfied with it overall and appreciate its' compact size for everyday commutes on the tube etc and the pleasant surprise is that it doesn't get in the way of earrings!

1.If I were to sell it and buy the H9 instead, what would be the added benefits of such a swap (OR any possible disadvantages APART from some money I will lose/pay)?
2.Does the ANC implementation on the H9 or/and its' different nature (over ear vs on ear) result on an overall better NC performance that I WILL BE ABLE TO PERCEIVE IN REAL LIFE SITUATIONS (tube and airplanes)?

The only issues I have faced so far with the H8 is that
a)sometimes when I lean my head forward the band on the top of my head slips right off
and
b)after a couple of hours of wearing them continuously the head band seems to create a hot spot of wear-fatigue right at the top of my head that is not severe to the point that I can't stand them anymore BUT I find that I prefer taking them off for a minute before putting them back on.
Is the H9 wearing experience in any way even remotely similar?

Interesting side note, I've read some reviews/impressions/presentations of the H8 when they were initially released and everyone seemed to state that they featured Bluetooth v4.0.
The specification of the latest batch of H8s (including the one I received) is however Bluetooth v4.2 and the labelling on the box along with what B&O states on their webpage reflects that change too along with some other minor presentation changes on the labelling on the front of the box.
Did all you guys that bought the H8 a lot earlier, got "updated" to Bluetooth v4.2 too with a firmware update as well?
Or were all H8s simply Bluetooth v4.2 from the beginning and it was just a case of the presenters reviewing hastily saying "...Bluetooth v4.0..." ?

Thank you all in advance for your responses :wink:

p.s. I do NOT want QC35 or B&W P7 or anything else that does NOT feature ANC AND wireless AND removable battery because I DEFINITELY need to be able to swap out the battery, so H8 and H9 are the only ones I am interested in (and I do NOT like or trust Parrot Ziks at all, apparently the inside padding of the ear pads gets unglued within the 1st couple of weeks of usage for the majority of the people that use them).

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #397 of 1,671
Yup you're right the MacBook transmits using aptx but unfortunately the iPhone at best puts out AAC over A2DP. Thankfully the H9's accept AAC because otherwise you'd be stuck with SBC, which is the worst of all 3. Sound quality from highest to lowest: APTX - AAC - SBC.

AAC on the iPhone will be the Bluetooth "profile" used ONLY in the case that the current song playing is ALSO an AAC file (and not mp3 for example)

ok, so that means that listening to spotify on iPhone = SBC
that sucks. H9 do sound better using my macbook.

I'll try apple music on my iPhone, that should be AAC.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #399 of 1,671
  H9 do sound better using my macbook.

Just out of curiosity, is that true even when you're listening to Spotify on your Mac?
Do you mind doing an A B (iPhone vs Mac) for us with the same track on Spotify?
The reason I am interested to know is that I am not using an iPhone with my H8...
And if/when you do so, can you report on how BIG or small is the difference in SQ that you are perceiving? 

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #400 of 1,671
  Just out of curiosity, is that true even when you're listening to Spotify on your Mac?
Do you mind doing an A B (iPhone vs Mac) for us with the same track on Spotify?
The reason I am interested to know is that I am not using an iPhone with my H8...
And if/when you do so, can you report on how BIG or small is the difference in SQ that you are perceiving? 

that is how I detected it in the first place. I was listening to Spotify on my iPhone and then switched to my MacBook and played the same track again.
it all depends on the music you are listening..
I figured thats the case with ANC on/off too. if you listen modern popular stuff there is almost no difference. if you listen 80' rock n roll for example, there is more detail in instruments and sounds more opened.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #401 of 1,671
@FenderP and everyone else in here that have/had both the H8 and H9:  
I received the H8 as a gift recently, I am quite satisfied with it overall and appreciate its' compact nature for everyday commutes on the tube etc.

1.If I were to sell it and buy the H9 instead, what would be the added benefits of such a swap (OR any possible disadvantages APART from some money I will lose/pay)?
2.Does the ANC implementation on the H9 or/and its' different nature (over ear) result on an overall better NC performance that I WILL BE ABLE TO PERCEIVE IN REAL LIFE SITUATIONS (tube and airplanes)?

The H8 is on ear while the H9 is over ear. That's a pretty big difference in terms of form factor. I used the H8 for a long time, and it was never uncomfortable on top of my head. My issue was after many hours (say after 7 or 8), I would need to take them off but that is the big difference between on and over ear in most cases. Everyone's head is different, but the headband design is similar on the H8 and H9. The H8 and H9 have a similar, but different, sound signature. Again, personal preference plays in there, too.

The H9 was about the same in my estimation as the H8 in terms of ANC. In otherwords, very good,  but not 1000X or QC35. It's not going to isolate you from the world completely in a cone of silence, but take out things like the low drone of an airplane engine.

The H8 was easier to drive than the H9, at least with my Sony players, so your source may be better or worse with one or the other.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #402 of 1,671

The H8 is on ear while the H9 is over ear. That's a pretty big difference in terms of form factor. I used the H8 for a long time, and it was never uncomfortable on top of my head. My issue was after many hours (say after 7 or 8), I would need to take them off but that is the big difference between on and over ear in most cases. Everyone's head is different, but the headband design is similar on the H8 and H9. The H8 and H9 have a similar, but different, sound signature. Again, personal preference plays in there, too.

The H9 was about the same in my estimation as the H8 in terms of ANC. In otherwords, very good,  but not 1000X or QC35. It's not going to isolate you from the world completely in a cone of silence, but take out things like the low drone of an airplane engine.

The H8 was easier to drive than the H9, at least with my Sony players, so your source may be better or worse with one or the other.

Thank you @FenderP for the input, overall IF any perceivable difference in SQ is a NON ISSUE for me, would you reckon that a swap would not grant any perceivable benefits?
In regards to the OVERALL noise cancellation (passive + ANC TOGETHER) , would you say that with the H9 you are able to perceive that it "shields you" from more noise, less or the same amount?

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #403 of 1,671

that is how I detected it in the first place. I was listening to Spotify on my iPhone and then switched to my MacBook and played the same track again.
it all depends on the music you are listening..
I figured thats the case with ANC on/off too. if you listen modern popular stuff there is almost no difference. if you listen 80' rock n roll for example, there is more detail in instruments and sounds more opened.

Thank you @shockre91 , BTW any perceivable difference when listening to Apple Music?

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #404 of 1,671
  Thank you @FenderP for the input, overall IF any perceivable difference in SQ is a NON ISSUE for me, would you reckon that a swap would not grant any perceivable benefits?
In regards to the OVERALL noise cancellation (passive + ANC TOGETHER) , would you say that with the H9 you are able to perceive that it "shields you" from more noise, less or the same amount?

A touch more isolation due to over ear, but quality/level of the ANC basically the same. Over ear is more comfortable to me, so in the H8 vs. H9, I'd go H9, and I found the H9 a bit more comfortable overall but I didn't get a night/day WOW for SQ or ANC. More similar than different. Keep in mind I don't use BT, so none of that factors in for me.

Again, it's all personal preference on every aspect of this.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #405 of 1,671
Regarding Bluetooth version b&o update with the latest version available for the particular Bluetooth chip; therefore for a version 4 it updates to 4.2. That was the answer I got from b&o support when I asked about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back