B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #586 of 1,671
Hi guys I tried these H9 at the Singapore b&o retail store and couldn't help but notice that the volume was extremely low when paired to my iPhone 7+ jet black.
I had to turn the volume on max before I found the the volume acceptable for listening. I only have lossless FLAC files on my phone, so file quality shouldn't be a problem. The sales told me to download the Beoplay app and play with the eq settings, but even that had no use. Just wondering is this a common issue among all H9 paired with iphone7+ or was it simply a default demo pair they had at the store?

I have the iPhone 7 Plus and my H9's are plenty loud. They have to be turned up a bit more than the P7W to achieve the same sound but still have lots of volume left if I ever needed it, but I never would.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #587 of 1,671
Hi all!

I just made an Account here to ask you a question. I Got the H7 right now since about a year and I'm pretty happy with them. But not THAT happy...

So I decided to sell them for 200€ and get new ones, because the H7 don't have the type of bass that i like. I can't decide between the H9 and H4. I listened to both of them in a B&O Store and i like the comfort of the H4 a bit more, but can't decide which have the better Sound Quality over all.

Since a friend is working for B&O i could get both of them (H4 300€ and H9 500€) for half the prize...

What would you recommend? 

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #588 of 1,671

I'm one of those who found the volume of the B&O H9 to be limited over bluetooth. It's probably plenty for casual listening but cannot be increased above a certain level if you want to hear louder (I tried it with Orff's Carmina Burana O Fortuna and I couldn't get enough volume to get closer to the real concert experience). This was true when connecting with a mac or iPad, iPhone over bluetooth. When the H9 was plugged in to my Yamaha amp it was plenty loud. To test if this was a hardware limitation of bluetooth or a limitation imposed by the device that was sending the bluetooth signal I connected a bluetooth transmitter to my Yamaha amp and connected the H9 to the transmitter. This time I could get the H9 to get very loud but I was also getting a lot of distortion. It seems that the volume level over bluetooth has been selected to be on the lower side so that the H9 doesn't get distortion over bluetooth at increased volumes. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #589 of 1,671

I'm one of those who found the volume of the B&O H9 to be limited over bluetooth. It's probably plenty for casual listening but cannot be increased above a certain level if you want to hear louder (I tried it with Orff's Carmina Burana O Fortuna and I couldn't get enough volume to get closer to the real concert experience). This was true when connecting with a mac or iPad, iPhone over bluetooth. When the H9 was plugged in to my Yamaha amp it was plenty loud. To test if this was a hardware limitation of bluetooth or a limitation imposed by the device that was sending the bluetooth signal I connected a bluetooth transmitter to my Yamaha amp and connected the H9 to the transmitter. This time I could get the H9 to get very loud but I was also getting a lot of distortion. It seems that the volume level over bluetooth has been selected to be on the lower side so that the H9 doesn't get distortion over bluetooth at increased volumes. 

I just flew from Canada to the UK for a week and had the H9's on almost all the time on the flights plus walking around London including lots on the subway and they were plenty loud to me and the ANC, although not Bose level was better than I was expecting and had no ear pressure so I'm very happy.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #593 of 1,671
New review:

http://theheadphonelist.com/the-two-faces-of-innovation-a-review-of-the-bo-h9/

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #594 of 1,671
Take what he says with a grain of salt:

bluetooth dropouts?  Try something good.  I use an iPhone7 and have ZERO dropouts

no way to turn off noise cancelling - are you serious?  READ the instruction manual.  Simple

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #596 of 1,671
Folks,

First post here. Took me two days but all caught up with this thread. 

I've been considering getting a wireless ANC headphone for a long time now. Used to have some Sony over ear Bluetooth headphone that wasn't terrible, but wasn't good either. Can't remember what I had before that but it was on ear and since I wear glasses, it was literally like getting punished when wearing them. Never on ears again. I currently have Shure SE215. Great sound isolation and sound quality but the cables....the damn cables. They make so much noise when I walk around. I'd imagine they would be great for sitting down and listening to stuff. Do note that I am not an audiophile by any means but I do appreciate good sound quality. I can't handle it when headphones can't provide good bass and decent mid/high/lows. The Sony couldn't, it was horrible. The sound would also start to drop out when the battery goes below 50%. Anyway, it's time for some decent headphones.

I've had the Bose QC35 in the back of my mind for many months now. I thought they were the best. Dropped by at BestBuy and they were not. The sound quality, while decent, wasn't good in my opinion. The build quality, while seemed solid, looked very flimsy and very very plasticy. It was comfortable and the ANC was good, but I could definitely feel the pressure. Would definitely suck for long hours of listening. Also, what were they thinking when they decided to give us no way of turning the ANC off!?! Deal breaker right there. There was a Sony rep there and he literally walked over, grabbed a Sony 1000X and handed it to me saying 'This is what you want'. He proceeded to tell me how it has an aluminium build (but there was still plastic all around) and different modes of ANC and better sound quality than the QC35s. The ANC was good but the pressure was still there but it did have the select-able modes so that's good I guess. The sound quality did sound a bit better than the QC35. The build was meh. And the feature of covering up one ear to listen, I can't see my self do that whenever I need to hear something. Just a gimmick. 

Now the over ear H9. Friend of mine owns the H8 and oh my the quality on that thing. When he told me he got that for like 650 CAD, I was laughing at him as to why he would spend so much on something like that. I've saved up for the QC35 for a while now but now that I have some disposable income, I can look into other things. H9 seemed like it would be the perfect choice. According to you folks, it's got enough ANC to block some of those noises without hurting the ears or affecting the sound quality too much. ANC is also controllable so that's awesome. Replaceable battery, even better. Build quality and design looks like it's something I can put in a display. No plastic that I can see. With the premium price, that's what I'd expect. Even for Bose and Sony. Maybe they'll come out with something better this year but I still like the H9s. Too bad it doesn't have a case. Why would they not provide a case!?!

Anyway, I will be purchasing online (nearest store is like 2 hours away) sometime this week. Wish they had the gray hazel one. Hopefully it will arrive in time for my flight. I'm travelling next weekend so I plan on trialing it on the turboprop plane (7hrs flight) and see how it holds up. Will be back in time to stay within the 14 day return margin so if I don't like it, should be able to return it.

Will follow up with my findings.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #597 of 1,671
Got my H9's today and played them for a few minutes before I charged them up. The first thing I noticed was the bass. It's both prominent and deep. The next thing I did was open the app and add some high frequencies to the mix to balance out the sound. They are very musical and fun sounding headphones. I did have to max out the volume to get them to an acceptable volume level and open up like some of the others on this forum. I had them paired with my iPhone 7+ just for reference.

I wasn't sure if I was going to keep these or not but my initial impressions are very positive. I also have the B&W P7 wireless, the Bose QC35's, and the Master & Dynamic MW60 that I'll compare them to. One or two of these headphones will be sold. The only one of these headphones that have noise canceling features are the Bose. The ANC of the B&O H9's works but it's not as effective as the Bose. The Bose blocks out everything while the H9's block out certain frequencies it seems. This may have been done intentionally by B&O to allow the H9's to maintain its musicality. This works for me because these headphones sound so much better than the Bose with bass comparable to the P7's. The P7's play much louder than the H9's. I'm hoping this can be corrected in a firmware update. But these headphones look and sound great right out the box.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #599 of 1,671
Can anyone give a direct comparison of the H7 H8 and H9? Are the H9's heavier at all? They all look so identical...

I got this information form B&O's website. Here are the weights of each of the headphones you're looking for information on:

upload_2017-4-27_4-36-8.png

The H7 & H9 are identical in size with the only difference being the H9 has active noise cancelling. The H8 in an On-Ear model and is smaller which explains why it's lighter. I haven't heard the H7 or the H8. So I can't really comment on their sound. But I do have the H9's, which sound good but I wish they played louder over Bluetooth. I'm hoping B&O issue a software update to remedy this issue.Outside of the volume issue the H9's are very comfortable headphones. You can also use the app to adjust the sound as well.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-27_4-34-57.png
    upload_2017-4-27_4-34-57.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back