Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
May 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #361 of 856

@sheldaze has both (Gungnir Multibit) so he can offer up his thoughts. When I first heard the Yggdrasil (Yggy) and the Gungnir Multibit (Gumby) side by side, I thought the Codex would match up well against the Gumby. After I heard the Codex and Gumby side by side in my own system, I think the more fair comparison is between the Codex and the Yggy.

Funny you should mention that...I've been chatting with Shel over the past few days...Great person and a real help.  I'm pretty sure he comes down on the side of the Codex...I'm just a hyper-neurotic person who tends to over-research 
biggrin.gif

I don't have much experience with the Yggy other than a few brief moments at the Long Island meet last year, but, that's a mighty fierce comparison, from what little I can recall.  It certainly makes the Codex look that much more impressive as a value proposition... 

May 23, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #362 of 856
Not sure where I would stand as far as best DAC...

But we all should know up front, we're talking about really, really small differences here. I brought the Ayre Codex with me (after its 300 hours of burn-in) and placed it alongside a R2R NOS. This was at the Atlanta meet this past weekend. If I had the person's attention long enough at my station, I would eventually let them know they had the option of listening to two DACs. It was interesting to watch their expressions as they realized this.

It was particularly fascinating to watch people who swore off Sabre DACs, after they'd been listening to the Ayre Codex and its Sabre
tongue.gif

Anyways. They listened attentively now, switching from one to the other. Universally, everyone knew the Codex had the most detail, but there was also something musical to the sound of the NOS. Perhaps at meet conditions ears are tired and gravitate to the softer (remember, we're talking small deltas here) sound, but many a person thought that it would be their choice for an all day listening session.

May 23, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #363 of 856
there honestly small differences from the codec to anything else. until you get to the diamond dac v. that is like 5-10% difference then. so we are talking about a $72,000 dac to get slightly better sound. the codex is incredible.  I would not be saying this about another dac. some reasonably priced dacs compared to the diamond dac v there can be a 50% difference to me. I say to me because your ears are all different. ymmv as I always say. I personally am extremely impressed with the codex. feeling it easily beats the direct stream for instance which is twice it's price. if you pick dacs that are as good as the codex there will be small differences as was said. in it's class and even 5 notches above it really just depends what you like. I needed the codex because of the size, not expecting much. I was extremely surprised. this is a very competent dac. besting dacs several times it's price. if you choose the right one to compare though as I said there will be small differences. one will be better here one will be better there but it will be very slight. I highly recommend it but again as always ymmv. I doubt anyone would outright hate it though. I see no need for a different dac in a system that is well into six figures. I use the ax-5 twenty. ayre themselves demo the codex with the ax-5 twenty so I am guessing they think it is at that level. you would not put a trash dac on the ax-5 twenty if you were trying to market that. really it all depends what you like. I would certainly listen to it. plus it must have at least 500 hours on it when you hear it. strangely at some point in the break in it sounds like a $25 dac. to me the form factor was paramount. I did not really have a choice. lo and behold they packed a wallop into this thing. I would like to hear the qx with a better clock and perhaps it has another diamond buffer stage too. I am sure it is at least somewhat better but sadly I cannot fit it in here. plus as I said it has a lot of stuff I will not use and is lacking somethings I really could use. anyways ayre is high end equipment. $1,800 is cheap for them but it is not considered to be cheap by everybody. to a lot of people this is their max budget and I understand that. I personally do not think you can go wrong with it but you must be able to listen to anything you purchase. I would never buy something sight unseen.

May 24, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #365 of 856
speaking of lh "I" wonder how it will compare to the sire which is vaporware currently lol. seriously though I am not sure I would spend over a grand on things that are crowd funded. that is shameful honestly they have to crowd fund a $1,500+ dac because they specialize in $120,000 dacs. anyone can build a $1,500+ dac through regular avenues. that just does not appeal to me. plus 12vdc and cannot obtain the psu currently? I would never get a component that does not take an iec. having the psu separate is in fact a great idea to limit noise close to the chip but you cannot get the psu. so that is off for me. plus with the psu it is way more money than the codex. I honestly think if everything else is up to snuff the msb is worth it but lh baffles me. I do not even care for the Debussy. I did not hear them side by side but as I recall the Debussy is not terribly better than the codex! so what could I say about the geek pulse not even having heard heard it? from the looks of it not impressed though.

I know I am coming off as a fan boy comparing the codex to dacs that are multiples of tens of thousands of dollars. yes, they are somewhat better. I will readily admit that. the thing is we are currently getting to the point of k9 hearing as it is. there are differences for sure. so it wil depend what sound you like. however I feel most people can stop at the codex and some of it's competition. however I have heard mere 10 grand dacs I did not like as much. of course that is just me. everyone hears different. what I prefer you may not. in fact some may hate the codex. I was just very lucky that it was about the only size I could make use of and I happened to really like it too. honestly I was not expecting much from it. as it is the thing is on it's side on top of two stillpoints. on that note I would recommend isolation under it and of course good cables. someone said the stock power cord was better. perhaps depending on what power cord. I feel the top shunyata made a nice difference but it is pulling the thing off the shelf lol. I am using the top crystal cable for both balanced and se and the audioquest diamond with two jitterbugs and iipurifier. it changes the sound but to my liking. I do feel the codex is at the level of cables that each cost several times it's price. to me it is just a fluke it happens to be $1,800. as I said they demo it with the ax-5 twenty which is what I am using here. so as I also said apparently they feel they created an albeit cheap beast of a dac. even though it's tiny size would not suggest so. I really want to see what is inside of it but I do not want to open mine. come on guys one of you must have snapped a pic? there are no pics on the net. I also wish this had a femto clock and an additional diamond buffer. of course price would go way up. perhaps then they would have one of the top dacs in existence in a tiny box. I really do not want to start modding it. although I have been very successful modding dacs before. I can no longer myself being mostly paralyzed now but I have people that can for me. I just don't really want to yet. I am pleased with it as it stands. I am not concerned about the warranty either. just don't really feel the need to do it. as I said if you like the sound we are getting to k9 hearing at this point. sure, you will hear differences but I doubt anyone can hear everything it can resolve. well, it paired great in this system. the speakers are the 2nd gen sonus faber extrema. maybe it mates well with those. I suppose so. I am not ashamed it is by far the cheapest piece in this system. also using older rel sub from when made by mr. lord. I do not really care for the post sumiko models. not china just like paper cones and class a/b amps better in a sub. all this class d stuff and fancy composite cones do not make for good subs to me. stick withn what they did for 30 years. or just get mj acoustics now. sorry to speak of subs in a dac thread but it is just the whole system jives good. ymmv. especially with what other components you have. as for the head amp I am sure there is much better. that is not what I got it for. first of all mini jacks puts me way off. I realize it was to fit the size probably. if you just want it as a desktop dac/headamp I am sure it is probably fine though.

May 30, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #366 of 856
  speaking of lh "I" wonder how it will compare to the sire which is vaporware currently lol. seriously though I am not sure I would spend over a grand on things that are crowd funded. that is shameful honestly they have to crowd fund a $1,500+ dac because they specialize in $120,000 dacs. anyone can build a $1,500+ dac through regular avenues. that just does not appeal to me. plus 12vdc and cannot obtain the psu currently? I would never get a component that does not take an iec. having the psu separate is in fact a great idea to limit noise close to the chip but you cannot get the psu. so that is off for me. plus with the psu it is way more money than the codex. I honestly think if everything else is up to snuff the msb is worth it but lh baffles me. I do not even care for the Debussy. I did not hear them side by side but as I recall the Debussy is not terribly better than the codex! so what could I say about the geek pulse not even having heard heard it? from the looks of it not impressed though.

I know I am coming off as a fan boy comparing the codex to dacs that are multiples of tens of thousands of dollars. yes, they are somewhat better. I will readily admit that. the thing is we are currently getting to the point of k9 hearing as it is. there are differences for sure. so it wil depend what sound you like. however I feel most people can stop at the codex and some of it's competition. however I have heard mere 10 grand dacs I did not like as much. of course that is just me. everyone hears different. what I prefer you may not. in fact some may hate the codex. I was just very lucky that it was about the only size I could make use of and I happened to really like it too. honestly I was not expecting much from it. as it is the thing is on it's side on top of two stillpoints. on that note I would recommend isolation under it and of course good cables. someone said the stock power cord was better. perhaps depending on what power cord. I feel the top shunyata made a nice difference but it is pulling the thing off the shelf lol. I am using the top crystal cable for both balanced and se and the audioquest diamond with two jitterbugs and iipurifier. it changes the sound but to my liking. I do feel the codex is at the level of cables that each cost several times it's price. to me it is just a fluke it happens to be $1,800. as I said they demo it with the ax-5 twenty which is what I am using here. so as I also said apparently they feel they created an albeit cheap beast of a dac. even though it's tiny size would not suggest so. I really want to see what is inside of it but I do not want to open mine. come on guys one of you must have snapped a pic? there are no pics on the net. I also wish this had a femto clock and an additional diamond buffer. of course price would go way up. perhaps then they would have one of the top dacs in existence in a tiny box. I really do not want to start modding it. although I have been very successful modding dacs before. I can no longer myself being mostly paralyzed now but I have people that can for me. I just don't really want to yet. I am pleased with it as it stands. I am not concerned about the warranty either. just don't really feel the need to do it. as I said if you like the sound we are getting to k9 hearing at this point. sure, you will hear differences but I doubt anyone can hear everything it can resolve. well, it paired great in this system. the speakers are the 2nd gen sonus faber extrema. maybe it mates well with those. I suppose so. I am not ashamed it is by far the cheapest piece in this system. also using older rel sub from when made by mr. lord. I do not really care for the post sumiko models. not china just like paper cones and class a/b amps better in a sub. all this class d stuff and fancy composite cones do not make for good subs to me. stick withn what they did for 30 years. or just get mj acoustics now. sorry to speak of subs in a dac thread but it is just the whole system jives good. ymmv. especially with what other components you have. as for the head amp I am sure there is much better. that is not what I got it for. first of all mini jacks puts me way off. I realize it was to fit the size probably. if you just want it as a desktop dac/headamp I am sure it is probably fine though.

Man, with all due respect, can you please use capitalization, grammar and paragraph breaks, especially when writing at this length? You have a lot to say, and these are a bear to read.

May 31, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #367 of 856
i am really sorry. i am mostly paralyzed. could you please give me a break under those circumstances? i have one finger on one hand that works for typing and not muchg else anymore. i am in a wheelchair now. i am not asking for sympathy at all. i just hope you can recognize i am not doing that just to be lazy or an a hole. back in the day i typed 130wpm flawlessly.

May 31, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #368 of 856
  i am really sorry. i am mostly paralyzed. could you please give me a break under those circumstances? i have one finger on one hand that works for typing and not muchg else anymore. i am in a wheelchair now. i am not asking for sympathy at all. i just hope you can recognize i am not doing that just to be lazy or an a hole. back in the day i typed 130wpm flawlessly.

Had no idea. Apologies.

May 31, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #369 of 856

Had no idea. Apologies.

I suppose you can't use dragon dictate either. I use it often. No worries.
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #370 of 856
yeah i could use it but i have to buy it and then figure out how to use it. if it is like my phone it is not going to work too good lol. i have a feeling it is a lot better though. well to be honest i just like the little ability i have left to use my beloved topre keyboard. i hope you guys don't mind.

mink, no problems. it's all good. the main thing is even though my body no longer works i am still happy. the doctors are just amazed it is my body that went and not my brain. the illness usually  causes body damage to a point but then ultimately failure of the brain. well, i hope that does not occur. it is all good though. i really do not mind to be like this. got a nurse to take care of me but unfortunately he is a big man, not a 20 year old girl lol.

i am also glad apparently many people value what i have to say. i base my knowledge on 40+ years as a recording and acoustic engineer. i was also highly certified in electronics repair but good luck with that now. i remember the first time i realized i no longer could use a soldering station. i was just like screw it and put it down. i was just never the type to get really upset about anything. life is what it is. it is in goid's hands and i fully accept that. even though i have not stepped foot in a church since the early 1960's! thats another story that is not appropriate to discuss here.

hey, i am fine! well save for the fact i am 80% paralyzed lol. the most important thing to me is i can still listen to music. that, is very important to me.

i apologize for off topic. i just did not want you guys to think i typed that way because i was a jerk or fool. i knew this was going to come up sooner or later. mink, don't feel bad though. you had no idea. for all you knew i was just a buffoon. no problems...

May 31, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #371 of 856
@music_man

Thank you for sharing your story. It is truly inspiring to hear how you have kept your positive attitude through a very difficult situation.

I am so glad music is a part of your life, and we welcome your views on our common passion, formatting be damned! 

May 31, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #372 of 856
  @music_man

Thank you for sharing your story. It is truly inspiring to hear how you have kept your positive attitude through a very difficult situation.

I am so glad music is a part of your life, and we welcome your views on our common passion, formatting be damned! 

I agree with austinpop.  Wow @music_man....truly inspiring my friend.  It's a bit cheesy...but "Keep Calm and Keep Listening!" 
gs1000.gif
  Btw, I agree...our Codex kicks major butt!!!

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #375 of 856
Man I don't think anyone is willing to sell their codex it's just to daMN good. Imo only thing that bears the codex in dac only is the hugo, but as a whole the codex does win because the amp on it really works well with the hd800 and the s version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back