Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Feb 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #166 of 856
  I checked with Auralic, and their opinion was it should work fine, except "It will have compatibility problem if you use USB storage and Ayre USB DAC at the same time." Since I plan to use DLNA to stream over my network from my NAS, this should be OK. But again - many people want to use the Aries Mini with a USB drive. Troubling.

I think their point was that there would be a lot of data being transferred across USB if a storage drive and a DAC were connected to the same bus, possibly increasing latency and causing drop outs. 

Quote:
   And then I came to discover that the apple camera adapter that works with USB isn't compatible either.  "Not enough power".  Hosed again, so much for Discovr'ing music on my iPad.

Like another poster mentioned, you probably need a powered USB hub in between the Codex and the iPad. When I bought a Schiit Fulla for my brother-in-law, I believe it wouldn't work when connected directly to the smartphone.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #167 of 856
I don't know about testing the hub theory - I haven't had one in a while. Will pick one up if it makes a difference for someone?

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #168 of 856
I don't know about testing the hub theory - I haven't had one in a while. Will pick one up if it makes a difference for someone?

Well, it might mean you can use your iPad with the Codex. Just make sure the hub isn't trying to draw power from the device it's connected to - it should come with its own power adapter. The Schiit Wyrd is an example of an expensive powered "hub" (in quotations because it only has one output port). Any powered hub from Amazon should work - at least for testing purposes.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #169 of 856
I just used an Android OTG cable and tested all the data rates I have from a Samsung Galaxy S4 while streaming from my NAS. All worked just fine including 192/24 and DSDx2. I didn't need a hub, it just workd. I don't have an Apple CCK to test it with my iPad. 

Ayre uses Gordon Rankin's Streamlength USB interface which is the original asynchronous USB Audio. This absolutely conforms to the generic USB Audio 2.0 standard (which I suspect is part of why USB control of the onboard volume control is not supported, as some have complained about.) 

The Codex does not draw any power from the usb port, so theoretically the hub wouldn't help, but I suppose it would help ensure the iOS device looks more like a generic USB data stream. There have been multiple cases I have heard of, however, where a USB interface worked better with a hub in the middle. If you want to get fancy you could get a Wyred, or even take it up a notch to a REGEN. 

However, the fact that Toslink doesn't work makes me wonder if perhaps your unit is somehow defective. Do you have any other device that you could test it with other than the AK?

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #171 of 856

Here's the scoop from Apple about the camera adapter (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202034)...

And seeing as how the Codex doesn't draw any power from the USB port, and they have made significant efforts to ensure isolation, I'd bet the +5V pin on the Codex is not connected to anything at all.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #173 of 856
Yep it's that spdif toslink cable. I was able to use the same cable for my MacBook to confirm that the optical port does "work" to some degree.

I'll try my AppleTV too now.

I looked for a (powered hub) in the house and then went to my local staples when picking up dinner. No dice. Honestly I've not needed one since I connected a printer and a ZIP drive to a PC... The theory that they've not hooked up the 5v pin to anything makes sense!

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #174 of 856
Yep it's that spdif toslink cable. I was able to use the same cable for my MacBook to confirm that the optical port does "work" to some degree.

I'll try my AppleTV too now.

I looked for a (powered hub) in the house and then went to my local staples when picking up dinner. No dice. Honestly I've not needed one since I connected a printer and a ZIP drive to a PC... The theory that they've not hooked up the 5v pin to anything makes sense!

Dang, that is too bad. I have been meaning to buy a lightning to camera adapter anyway, so I pick one up on the way home and try it with my iPad tonight. Just to see if it will work with my unit.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #175 of 856
Finally got the camera connection cable and the iPad Air does not work reliably with the Codex. When first connected the devices works fine together, then during a track change something will get muffed up and an error pops up saying something like Ayre USB interface is not supported. Bummer. My Android phone works flawlessly, so maybe it is something specific to iOS. If the Codex were intended portable use it would be unforgivable, for me this isn't a problem as this wasn't my intended use, but I can see it being a no-go for a lot of people.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #176 of 856
I had to just give up and returned it Saturday. The only solve for me is to get a network streaming device of some sort... Alex at Ayre recommended a Melco (which my dealer carried) but that was another $2K.

It was interesting - when I came in the dealer hooked up a Bluetooth player for the iOS devices. I have one already, familiar enough to know they're meh at best.

We called Ayre and got some insight from them. They confirmed that they didn't implement the +5 pin you mentioned so you can expect the issues with iOS. They confirmed they didn't even test it honestly, the device is meant for USB computers and network streaming.

With my A&K player they confirmed they were having issues supporting it and were working on trying to solve the problem since many audiophiles have them and they expect this to come up again. Said something akin to thanks for helping them test and that when they have a solve I would be the first person to receive an update if I stuck with them for a while. Very nice guys.

They also wish they could supply balanced cables with the Codex because the quality of the sound is much more than subtle.

But alas since I started this journey looking for a $1000 amp and not even a DAC, I am not in a position to buy a Melco on top of it - bringing my total to $4K. Had to just quit for now.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting!

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #177 of 856
I finally got a chance to audition a Codex at my local Ayre dealer. He had burned it in for about 250 hours before I listened to it.

Source: My own Auralic Aries Mini w/LPS, and with internal SSD containing a bunch of DSD and Hi Rez PCM music --> some fancy USB cable --> Ayre Codex -- single ended, no balanced cable on hand --> Sennheiser HD800 (Tyll's Anax mod)

Sonic Impressions: I was really floored by the Codex. Of course it helped that this guy had megabucks power cords, conditioners and interconnects in play. The net effect was definitely to make the Codex shine. The complete lack of noise created a palpably black background. And this was single ended! Tonal balance was very neutral, excellent bass, and a very smooth treble. The latter was particularly nice on the HD800, with its unforgiving nature on the higher frequencies. I detected a complete lack of harshness, glaze, or brightness that I have heard with lesser amps. The Codex DAC is definitely something special. Music had an effortlessness to it, with excellent PRAT.

Comparison: Unfortunately, I cannot compare the Codex to any of its competitors, since none were on hand. I would love to pit it against the NuPrime DAC-10H, the Mytek Brooklyn, or the Simaudio Moon 230HAD. All I had on hand was my trusty Benchmark DAC1 HDR, and it was severely outclassed. We fed the Codex audio output into the Benchmark, to compare the headphone stage of the Codex with the Benchmark. It was really no contest. The Benchmark sounded thin, and noticeably smeared. The same PRAT that had my feet tapping on the Codex was MIA on the Benchmark.

Limitations: The Codex lacks any analog inputs, nor does it have coax S/PDIF, both of which are important to me. Also, I worry about the power of the amp. I had to set the volume in the 85-90 range (on a 0-100 scale) with my HD800 for some of my classical music, which doesn't leave much more gain on hand. Of course, going balanced will give me +6dB, so perhaps this is not a huge issue.

Issues: Sadly, I did run into some operational glitches, having to do with the USB connection. Specifically:
  • We saw this strange issue where a track could be selected, and would successfully start playing, but the Auralic Lightning DS app would show no status or progress, and there was no way to pause or otherwise control the track.
  • The only way to control was to select another track in the app
  • First time selecting the track, it would get an error indicating no USB device was detected, but subsequent attempt to play would succeed.
These all sound like USB handshaking issues, but since I'm already committed to the Aries Mini as my source, this does give me pause. I've alerted both Ayre and Auralic of this issue, and am waiting to hear their feedback.

Clearly, as others have mentioned on this thread, the Ayre is targeted squarely at the user driving it from a Mac over USB. All other use cases are fraught with peril. 

So all in all, a mixed bag.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #178 of 856
If you used balanced wire to the earphones the volume level would be about 80 (I had same problem at first) and the sound quality would have been amazing.
I don't think the usb problem is gone with a mac either. It seems you cant use any other usb device at the same time you use the codex and I find that too limiting.
On the other hand if you use a 3 foot audioquest forest optical cable (or better?) the sound is indistinguishable (I a-b tested them) from the usb input..
this seems the best way to use the codex and avoids all the usb problems
Jeffrey R Fischman

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #179 of 856
Spoke to Alex Brinkman at Ayre this morning, who was funny and cool, and who confirmed that 1) the chip in the Codex is the ESS ES9018K2M, not the plain 9018, and that 2) it is perfectly normal that my Codex, which has about 180 hours on it currently, is still sounding steely, bright and way worse than my Pono Player's line out. He said that the unit sounds amazing out of the box and then begins sounding much worse, which mirrors my experience perfectly. He said 500 hours is required (and acknowledged how annoying this is.) Oy!

So if you just got the Codex, settle in for few weeks and don't succumb to despair, like I was doing. And if you're a break-in doubter or think it matters only a little, prepare to be seriously surprised. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #180 of 856
Spoke to Alex Brinkman at Ayre this morning, who was funny and cool, and who confirmed that 1) the chip in the Codex is the ESS ES9018K2M, not the plain 9018...

So the "literature" on the Ayre site is incorrect? It states ESS 9018, not the K2M. Seems like a rather big omission to me.

Source: https://www.ayre.com/codex_reviews.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back