Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Apr 13, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #16 of 856
  Yeah.

I just hope that's not the case as they the Codex seem really like a really promising amp/dac.

exactly! I've had my sights set on this amp/dac for several months but will not likely have an opportunity to audition it. Just have to wait until it's release next month and see what folks have to say about it once they can give it a lengthy and thorough auditioning.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #17 of 856
LOL I just saw my post and it looks like I didn't even think when typing it out... typos like mad. I guess that's what I get for staying up all night trying to find a good amp and dac solution.
  exactly! I've had my sights set on this amp/dac for several months but will not likely have an opportunity to audition it. Just have to wait until it's release next month and see what folks have to say about it once they can give it a lengthy and thorough auditioning.

It's either codex in a few months or the woo wa7 fireflies. I have been giving the Hifiman EF-6 some thought and wouldn't mind picking those up along with a nice dac. It just might be a superior setup but I still need to read more.

But if the Codex amp/dac solution reviews are solid and positive, I will have my sights set on those.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 856
Did Ayre give up on the Codex? It's 2 months past their stated release date now. You'd think they'd at least throw an update out there for folks. Anyone hear anything?

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 856
I talked to them last week, said they were shipping demo's to dealers and they should have them by the end of last week.

So you SHOULD be able to go hear one now if you live close to an Ayre dealer. 

Peachtree has a $1299 headphone amp/dac coming out soon that looks interesting.    

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 856
Just called.    Price was going to be $1500.   Now it's $1800.   That is NOT GOOD NEWS. 

Last week they said it was shipping last week now they say it will be shipping 'in a few weeks'. 

In other words, they don't really know. 

Peachtree, you're up..... 

EDIT:  Well, just called Peachtree.   Their dac/amp that was going to be out in June will now be out in (maybe) October.  

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 856
  Just called.    Price was going to be $1500.   Now it's $1800.   That is NOT GOOD NEWS

Last week they said it was shipping last week now they say it will be shipping 'in a few weeks'. 

In other words, they don't really know. 

It is stretching further and further away from the original Pono project. Perhaps that is the intent, to keep its Pono origins far from the minds of people who may be interested in this? Perhaps for people with the funds for TOTL headphones, they will not mind paying a couple of extra dollars for a matching TOTL headphone amplifier?

But I also wonder how different it would be to simply take the line out from a Pono player and connect it to a great headphone amplifier? Perhaps I'm thinking too much
redface.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 856
It's really nice.  Honestly, I wasn't really comparing it to anything today--was just surprised to see it at my local dealer, so I got to listen for quite a while.  I have been considering the Oppo HA-1 and the Woo Audio Fireflies, but this may move to the top of my list.  It's been a while since I heard the Woo stuff--I was thinking about waiting until the Capital Audiofest in August to go hear the latest from Woo Audio.  I remember really being impressed last time I sat in their room.  I may need to figure out how to see it sooner to do a better comparison.

As far as look and feel, I found a picture and video online which is exactly how the final unit looks.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/axpona-2015-ayre-acoustics-codex-headphone-ampdac#keFAdVh8fVUrf5E5.97

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #25 of 856
  It's really nice.  Honestly, I wasn't really comparing it to anything today--was just surprised to see it at my local dealer, so I got to listen for quite a while.  I have been considering the Oppo HA-1 and the Woo Audio Fireflies, but this may move to the top of my list.  It's been a while since I heard the Woo stuff--I was thinking about waiting until the Capital Audiofest in August to go hear the latest from Woo Audio.  I remember really being impressed last time I sat in their room.  I may need to figure out how to see it sooner to do a better comparison.

As far as look and feel, I found a picture and video online which is exactly how the final unit looks.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/axpona-2015-ayre-acoustics-codex-headphone-ampdac#keFAdVh8fVUrf5E5.97

Capital Audiofest 
blink.gif

Which dealer? You must be in the area, and I want to listen too 
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #27 of 856
  Gifted Listener in Centreville VA.

I have a friend who is inbound to visit the area for a few weeks. He is thinking about a new pair of closed headphones, and wanted to audition them in person. I made a short list of stores to go visit.  That store was definitely on the short list, and has just been moved to the top!

Thank you.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #28 of 856
I listened to the Codex driving a pair of HD800's through what looked like a custom cable at the recent Head-Fi meet. I admit I'm a headphone noob, but I heard things in "So What" (the opening track to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue), I'd never heard before, and I've listened that track at least a hundred times. Never knew the bass was sustaining that long. The pair is now my dream rig. EDIT: Oh, and I was quoted a price of $1795.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #29 of 856
What makes me a bit curious about the price is that they openly said its a development of the PONO board and uses the same mobile version of the sabre dac chip but I guess better quality power rails and capacitors etc ... but $1795 is surprisingly steep ... 

I'd love to know more about what's in this thing. Ayre are a high end company and I believe the PONO business model is to not make a huge margin on the player so I hope this isn't Ayre trying to recoup a little. (just a little cynical voice in my head) 

Dan 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back