Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Jan 12, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #121 of 856
So does anyone know the frequency response range for the combo? Is it the same for the dac/pre as the amplifier section

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #122 of 856
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet when comparing the Codex to DAC+Amp options is that you save money on an interconnect cable between DAC/Amp with the Codex. To get the sound quality of the Codex from separates, you'd need a high end interconnect. Also, there are obvious advantages to removing the extra interconnect cable and connectors from the signal chain.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #124 of 856
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet when comparing the Codex to DAC+Amp options is that you save money on an interconnect cable between DAC/Amp with the Codex. To get the sound quality of the Codex from separates, you'd need a high end interconnect. Also, there are obvious advantages to removing the extra interconnect cable and connectors from the signal chain.

This is true. If you compare to Schiit gear, you have the Mjolnir 2 and the Gungnir as your starting options for a fully balanced setup. That costs about $100 less than the Codex, though you have to add in the cost of the interconnect. If you move up to the Gungnir MB, then that exceeds the price of the Codex by a few hundred bucks. With all the talk of Schiit being a price / performance leader, especially for gear made in the USA, then I think Ayre has really hit a home run here. It's a fully balanced, no feedback, discrete design  with a linear power supply and made in the USA. The SE output is just as good as the balanced outs (something that would be hard to claim for the Liquid Carbon) and is slightly more versatile with the preamp functionality.

I've got an all-Ayre system for my speaker setup (AX-5 Twenty + C-5xeMP) and I'm really trying to resist getting the Codex, but I'm losing more and more willpower as I type...

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #125 of 856
This is true. If you compare to Schiit gear, you have the Mjolnir 2 and the Gungnir as your starting options for a fully balanced setup. That costs about $100 less than the Codex, though you have to add in the cost of the interconnect. If you move up to the Gungnir MB, then that exceeds the price of the Codex by a few hundred bucks. With all the talk of Schiit being a price / performance leader, especially for gear made in the USA, then I think Ayre has really hit a home run here. It's a fully balanced, no feedback, discrete design  with a linear power supply and made in the USA. The SE output is just as good as the balanced outs (something that would be hard to claim for the Liquid Carbon) and is slightly more versatile with the preamp functionality.

I've got an all-Ayre system for my speaker setup (AX-5 Twenty + C-5xeMP) and I'm really trying to resist getting the Codex, but I'm losing more and more willpower as I type...

Hi, Yage,

I'm not trying to further erode your willpower, but I have to say that the Codex is even better in balanced mode. I was skeptical going in, and was very happy with it in SE mode, but when I went to balanced mode sound quality took a significant step forward.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #126 of 856
Hi, Yage,

I'm not trying to further erode your willpower, but I have to say that the Codex is even better in balanced mode. I was skeptical going in, and was very happy with it in SE mode, but when I went to balanced mode sound quality took a significant step forward.

Yes, I agree - I've listened to the Codex in balanced mode through my HD 600's. I was really bowled over by what I heard. Plugging in my ER-4S single-ended, though, was just as enjoyable. If I do get the Codex, I'm going to have to mod them to try the balanced output, but for now I'd be happy as-is.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #127 of 856
Mmmmmmm ax-5 twenty. Why would I have to waot for measurements from stereophile?
Just lookimg for a basic frequency response range. Mainly and simply how low does it go. I won't even consider it if it only goes down to 20. I doubt thats the case but what if, ya know. Pretty much every amp ive ever looked into, the manufacturer posts these specs.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #128 of 856
As far as saving money on the interconnects goes, the balanced cable for whatever headphone is going to cost you ,
even more id bet.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #131 of 856
my system: itunes uncompressed on macbook pro playing apple uncompressed cd copies through optical coupling to codex -->cardas balanced-->HD800
I compare it to exact same CDs played through my regular system (which has  30" + 24"woofer)

the headphone sings as good or better than my room system--most unexpected for me
I get same impact from bass (to my head not my body) so 20 cycle response is a non-issue
same SE triode sound (I will use the iTunes equalizer where necessary)(( btw I can't hear any degradation of sound quality using it))
I probably can be trusted: I have been a high fi fanatic for 30 yrs and always had state of the art stuff
I strongly recommend

Jeffrey R Fischman

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #132 of 856
I am using a codex now. It replaced another Ayre dac, the QB-9DSD (a current product that retails over $3k.) The Codex sounds better to me than the previous product. I'd say it offers similar resolution but it seems more musical and more "fun". Right now I'm using it just as a dac into my headphone amp as I am awaiting an adapter to connect balanced to the dual 3.5 jacks. I haven't tried the SE jack but will tonight. The Codex is very impressive out of the gate, but I was told that it needs at least 600 hrs to fully play in which I haven't approached yet. So far I give it two thumbs way up and think it is worth its money just as a dac. If the headphone stage is good enough to make me give up my dedicated headphone amp (and I am suspicious it will) then it will be a phenomenal deal.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #133 of 856

Yes, I agree - I've listened to the Codex in balanced mode through my HD 600's. I was really bowled over by what I heard. Plugging in my ER-4S single-ended, though, was just as enjoyable. If I do get the Codex, I'm going to have to mod them to try the balanced output, but for now I'd be happy as-is.

Hi there Yage: any comments on Codex vs. Yiggy? :)

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #134 of 856
@jrfmd do you use optical because the codex won't work with lightning connector? Also I read or heard so!ewjere that the best response from the codex was from utilizing the USBportion as the signal to noise rastio will be !umuch better this way . Also, I had a phone call with ayre representative on the phone and he said that the codex should go down to 5 hz. When you say same impact as your speakers to what frequencies is it you're listening to because nyou didn't really give a reference, just said same slam.
@kmanchu durimg the interview, alex brinkman said 300hours. However, from what ive read, is that he thinks its ridiculous people think dacs need burn in and has openly voiced his opinion on the matter and made some people mad at him. By him saying around the 300 hour mark you'll level up like on a video game, it was more of an inside joke to which he was burning his skeptics

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #135 of 856
  Hi there Yage: any comments on Codex vs. Yiggy? :)

Ha! That's a loaded question!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll offer up this, though - the Gumby reminded me a lot of how the Codex sounds and the Yggy reminded me of my Ayre C-5xeMP. Of course, when you get both we can test drive them in my setup at home.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back