AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
Oct 5, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #76 of 423
Not as good? You mean there isn't a shill posting every two minutes without really saying anything but how great it is with NOTHING to support his claims? I'll take Grell's marketing any day of the week compared to Austrian Audio and their chosen one..........

Leo
I must admit: I am too excited here. But in honesty, Grell is seemingly quiet comparing Austrian Audio and Nomax’s thread.

Sorry if I misunderstand anything tho. And I did browse a lot.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #77 of 423
I must admit: I am too excited here. But in honesty, Grell is seemingly quiet comparing Austrian Audio and Nomax’s thread.

Sorry if I misunderstand anything tho. And I did browse a lot.
I wouldn't get too hyped up on the OAE1. All impressions from CanJam call it one of the brightest headphones Grell has made with quite cheap build quality. I'm still waiting on non-show floor impressions and a graph but my hype has gone down to virtually zero.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #78 of 423
I wouldn't get too hyped up on the OAE1. All impressions from CanJam call it one of the brightest headphones Grell has made with quite cheap build quality. I'm still waiting on non-show floor impressions and a graph but my hype has gone down to virtually zero.
Uh oh. That’s first flag like what happened back in Hifiman Open/closed headphone then.

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #79 of 423
Uh oh. That’s first flag like what happened back in Hifiman Open/closed headphone then.
Show floor impressions are tough. With the BG ambiance being so loud at CanJam most people need to bump up the volume to above 70db so a bright leaning headphone could sound quite a bit more sibilant than it actually is. I'm still intrigued but definitely not hyped. I haven't heard any overly positive impressions from any of the newer releases though.

Arya Organic
HEDDPhone 2
Grell OEA1
Audeze MM-100

All have had lukewarm to negative reviews so it doesn't look like 2023 is a solid year for headphone greatness.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #81 of 423
Really? I've seen nothing but praise for both of these.
Hop on the Arya thread and half the people who actually own the Arya Organic are selling them. Headphones dot com review called them mediocre and not worth the upgrade. Meanwhile Arya Stealth second hand prices have dropped to nearly half what the value of the Organic are.

Joshua Valour gave one of the lowest reviews he's ever given on the HEDDPhone 2 and the Headphones dot com review with Golden Sound wasn't glowing either. Show impressions were either very mixed or disappointed.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #82 of 423
Really? I've seen nothing but praise for both of these.

I listened to them at CanJam SoCal and I thought they sounded pretty good overall, but I wasn't impressed with the headband adjustment mechanism (it had a very imprecise feel to it) or how stiff and uncomfortable the earpads were. I was told that the demo units were not the final version of the headphone, so there's a chance those issues may have already been addressed. We shall see....:thinking:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #83 of 423
Hop on the Arya thread and half the people who actually own the Arya Organic are selling them. Headphones dot com review called them mediocre and not worth the upgrade. Meanwhile Arya Stealth second hand prices have dropped to nearly half what the value of the Organic are.

Joshua Valour gave one of the lowest reviews he's ever given on the HEDDPhone 2 and the Headphones dot com review with Golden Sound wasn't glowing either. Show impressions were either very mixed or disappointed.
I follow the Arya thread, as I've owned all revisions, as well as watched Resolves review. And my findings vary wildly with yours. As far as I remember he never called them mediocre, only saying that going from Arya Stealth to Organic wasn't worth the upgrade tax, which is fair, but he actually preferred the Organic over the Stealth if EQ was an option.

And as for the thread, I don't know, to me it just looks like any other release. I don't see this rash of unhappy purchases like you say. Contrast that with the MM-100 thread, now that's a bunch of unhappy campers.

I haven't really followed the Heddphone 2 that closely, nor watch Joshua Valour, but from what I've gathered it's a clear step up from the previous at least.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #84 of 423
I follow the Arya thread, as I've owned all revisions, as well as watched Resolves review. And my findings vary wildly with yours. As far as I remember he never called them mediocre, only saying that going from Arya Stealth to Organic wasn't worth the upgrade tax, which is fair, but he actually preferred the Organic over the Stealth if EQ was an option.

And as for the thread, I don't know, to me it just looks like any other release. I don't see this rash of unhappy purchases like you say. Contrast that with the MM-100 thread, now that's a bunch of unhappy campers.

I haven't really followed the Heddphone 2 that closely, nor watch Joshua Valour, but from what I've gathered it's a clear step up from the previous at least.
Great that you've found a headphone in the Arya Organic that you like but the immediate wave of sales on the second hand market of a brand new headphone paint a clear picture that people aren't happy with them. Glad that you enjoy them but like I stated earlier I haven't seen huge overall praise for them. Hop into the MM-100 thread and it's a catastrophic failure on all fronts for Audeze. The HEDDPhone being a better iteration but still flawed from the previous isn't good news either.

The only point i'm trying to state is it hasn't exactly been a banner year for new releases and all four of those are good examples that the newest isn't always the best option.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #85 of 423

To add some context, the samples we had at the show were very much pre-production samples and not production level.

One of our key objectives at the show was to get listening impressions and feedback from HeadFi members. The brightness was one area we will be addressing as we progress towards the finalized tuning. We also learned the headphones are relatively sensitive (and scalable) to the amplifier used.

The overall build quality was another area where we expected to receive feedback. Things like overall comfort, earpad density, weight, headband structure are still being refined with the input we received at the show.

A big thank you to all that did come by the Drop both to listen and share their thoughts. The general feedback was largely positive and helpful to ensure the end result will not disappoint.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #86 of 423
To add some context, the samples we had at the show were very much pre-production samples and not production level.

One of our key objectives at the show was to get listening impressions and feedback from HeadFi members. The brightness was one area we will be addressing as we progress towards the finalized tuning. We also learned the headphones are relatively sensitive (and scalable) to the amplifier used.

The overall build quality was another area where we expected to receive feedback. Things like overall comfort, earpad density, weight, headband structure are still being refined with the input we received at the show.
Very nice to hear that you're still working on it. For a headphone to be broken at a show with only two days use is good feedback to check QC in materials used. Quite a few impressions spoke about synergy being off on the gear used for testing at the booth so this is also good to hear.

I know you're probably not comfortable with announcing price on a HeadFi forum but I'm sure everyone would love to know price point well before a pre-order page goes live. Especially with a limited 1000 units.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #89 of 423

A big thank you to all that did come by the Drop both to listen and share their thoughts. The general feedback was largely positive and helpful to ensure the end result will not disappoint.
Not even pre production. These are first articles off the tool for mechanical validation.
Pre production validation samples will have the correct side arm lengths and be much closer to consumer grade product. Our goal for the show was demonstrate the mechanical placement of the driver in the acoustic baffle. We will be running pre production mid Nov after we have gone through our next two rounds of mechanical refunements

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #90 of 423
These units are 5-8 weeks away from final. The preview samples was meant to establish the sound from a mechanical placement of the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back