SHAMuuu

Headphoneus Supremus
grell3.jpg

Grell.jpeg

Anybody try these at the show?

And when will it be available.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 385
gk6.jpg

If my eyes aren't playing tricks... it says biocellulose, and $300.

Not sure the reliability of the information, but it's out there from someone who was at the show (i'm guessing person in pics)

Its odd his design philosophy has emerged after his HE=1 Masterpiece, and now he's making Heavy Metal headphones with 8 drivers, and this interesting open back.

I cannot lie, it is exciting. Perhaps, his former company didn't want to retool to make these wild projects and he was like

screw-you-guys-im-going-home.gif

Gotta like his style. He seems pretty down to earth, and I saw a video where it said hes been "building headphones since he was 12" or something, and there was footage of him soldering as well!

Anyway, this would be HUGE for Drop if it truly is 3 hundo bones, biocellulose, and open back, and designed by this triple OG

BAHUIcPCcAA4s-P.jpg:large

May 2, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 385

If my eyes aren't playing tricks... it says biocellulose, and $300.

Not sure the reliability of the information, but it's out there from someone who was at the show (i'm guessing person in pics)

Its odd his design philosophy has emerged after his HE=1 Masterpiece, and now he's making Heavy Metal headphones with 8 drivers, and this interesting open back.

I cannot lie, it is exciting. Perhaps, his former company didn't want to retool to make these wild projects and he was like

screw-you-guys-im-going-home.gif

Gotta like his style. He seems pretty down to earth, and I saw a video where it said hes been "building headphones since he was 12" or something, and there was footage of him soldering as well!

Anyway, this would be HUGE for Drop if it truly is 3 hundo bones, biocellulose, and open back, and designed by this triple OG

BAHUIcPCcAA4s-P.jpg:large
Axel is the real deal… talking to him is extremely educational, and he has a creative spark that leads to ingenious innovations.

HD 580, HD 600 and HD 650, angled drivers in the HD 598 and HD 800, the design of the IE 800 which is the basis for the current IE lineup, the list of innovations Axel Grell has been responsible for contributing to headphones is frankly massive. He did leave Sennheiser three years ago, on good terms and continued to consult for them here and there, but yes he wanted to make somethings (plural) completely his own.

And, personally, he is a bit of a fun-loving basshead. He can design reference headphones like the HD 600 and Neumann NDH30 (his latest full-size headphone!), but he preferred the HD 650.

I didn’t make it to NYC this year, as I had personal financial obligations, but I reached out to Axel and briefly talked to him about the grell over ear headphone. Basically, he told me he brought three different tuned prototypes, we caught up a bit on life since the last time I talked to him in July 2022, and he showed me the slides from his Headphones 201 seminar. The design goal of the over ears was to make an even more open sounding headphone, with superior in-front-localization. Kind of like the HD 598 and HD 800S have angled drivers and a more believable sense of directional imaging and soundstage than the pleasant-but-intimate HD 650, the over ear headphones are supposed to be a further development in that direction, while having warmth like the HD 650 and better sub-bass extension.

Obviously, with 3D printed models, it’s still in the prototype phase. But it’s a headphone I think is worth keeping an eye out for (full disclosure, I currently consult for Drop and Drop means to stock and sell the grell over ears when it’s ready), and Axel Grell’s resume speaks volumes about his capability and track record. There are more impressions of the three different prototypes in the CanJam NYC meet impressions thread, and I look forward to more about future prototypes… hopefully I can get my own ears on one 😉

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 385
Axel is the real deal… talking to him is extremely educational, and he has a creative spark that leads to ingenious innovations.

HD 580, HD 600 and HD 650, angled drivers in the HD 598 and HD 800, the design of the IE 800 which is the basis for the current IE lineup, the list of innovations Axel Grell has been responsible for contributing to headphones is frankly massive. He did leave Sennheiser three years ago, on good terms and continued to consult for them here and there, but yes he wanted to make somethings (plural) completely his own.

And, personally, he is a bit of a fun-loving basshead. He can design reference headphones like the HD 600 and Neumann NDH30 (his latest full-size headphone!), but he preferred the HD 650.

I didn’t make it to NYC this year, as I had personal financial obligations, but I reached out to Axel and briefly talked to him about the grell over ear headphone. Basically, he told me he brought three different tuned prototypes, we caught up a bit on life since the last time I talked to him in July 2022, and he showed me the slides from his Headphones 201 seminar. The design goal of the over ears was to make an even more open sounding headphone, with superior in-front-localization. Kind of like the HD 598 and HD 800S have angled drivers and a more believable sense of directional imaging and soundstage than the pleasant-but-intimate HD 650, the over ear headphones are supposed to be a further development in that direction, while having warmth like the HD 650 and better sub-bass extension.

Obviously, with 3D printed models, it’s still in the prototype phase. But it’s a headphone I think is worth keeping an eye out for (full disclosure, I currently consult for Drop and Drop means to stock and sell the grell over ears when it’s ready), and Axel Grell’s resume speaks volumes about his capability and track record. There are more impressions of the three different prototypes in the CanJam NYC meet impressions thread, and I look forward to more about future prototypes… hopefully I can get my own ears on one 😉
Sounds good. Appreciate the input and look forward to updates on this wild creation.

Probably the craziest angle I've seen on a dynamic unit besides maybe k1k..

Love the Sigma so I guess it follows similar philosophy.

I thought it was interesting that Axel said dynamic drivers still have room for innovation.. That the ceiling hasn't been reached and with his ndh-30 being such a hit... This should be a game changer I bet!

May 2, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 385
Is this what @Nomax has been talking about or is there something else coming from Austrian Audio?

May 2, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 385
So, where are they?
I don’t know the estimated release timeframe, but as these are in the prototype stage, I wouldn’t expect the production version ready by this spring or summer. Possibly the end of the year or later?

Is this what @Nomax has been talking about or is there something else coming from Austrian Audio?
This would come from grell audio, an independent company from Austrian Audio. Nomax seems to be well connected with most German and Austrian companies in the audio world (and beyond), so I bet he has talked to Axel about these.

May 15, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 385
It's nice Axel Grell is trying to go beyond the HD800S in terms of soundstage and imaging. But is providing detail retrieval comparable to the HD800S in the list of goals with this headphone ?

May 15, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 385
It's nice Axel Grell is trying to go beyond the HD800S in terms of soundstage and imaging. But is providing detail retrieval comparable to the HD800S in the list of goals with this headphone ?
That I don't know yet. The design is certainly different, for example it's not a large ring-driver like the HD 800S. I think the OEA1 will be awesome, but I don't want to overhype it, you know? It's going to be priced between the HD 6xx and the HD 800S, with a low amount of company overhead, so I think it will be obtainable for many/most people and should be of high performance for the price. I'm personally very excited :smiley:

May 16, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 385
Looks like a Beyer T1 cup minus that unique location of driver.
Maybe, but I feel like it’s going to be an even more open headphone than a HiFiman (and the T1), but aesthetically I see what you mean. Closer to the T1 gen 1 and 2 than the new gen 3 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back