Awesome or Gimmick ? Sonys MDR-1ADAC
Sep 14, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #62 of 172
I just wanted to chime in as I just received a Sony MDR-1ADAC - specs.

Purchased for $210 new to my door, which I think is a great deal down from its $400 retail.

I'm no audiophile, but I have in the last year or so become mildly obsessed with improving my headphone listening experience. I have had and still have some sub-$100 cans and buds from V-MODA, Sony, AKG and others that aren't worth mentioning, but hey we all have to start somewhere, right?

More prominently, I now have the following gear, in my opinion from least to best sounding (without comparing features):

• V-MODA Crossfade LP
  • Monster iSport Freedom (AptX Bluetooth)
  • Logitech UE 6000 ("Active noise cancelling")*
  • Logitech UE 9000 (HQ AAC Bluetooth)
  • Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 (AptX Bluetooth) - specs
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100 with XL ear pads - specs

Also, I have a FiiO E18 KUNLUN DAC/Amp, almost exclusively mated to the M-100s, fed by my PC or Samsung Galaxy S6.

Where does the Sony MDR-1ADAC fit in the above list for me? I would say overall it's on-par with the M-100, but it outshines it in certain areas and vice versa. In terms of comfort, convenience and clarity, the 1ADAC comes out well-ahead for starters. For listening comparisons, I went with various Spotify Extreme Quality (320kbps Ogg Vorbis) and 16bit FLAC lossless tracks of EDM and piano-focused contemporary. I am mainly an EDM listener, but I have learned very quickly to appreciate the subtlety found in it and other music, especially where vocals are concerned.

Sony MDR-1ADAC vs V-MODA Crossfade M-100 with XL ear pads

To compare their overall sound, I would say the 1ADAC is more "piercing", but not in a bad way. The highs and mids, especially in vocals and piano, come through with vibrancy and are very alive, as is the less expansive sound stage. The lows are suitable to the task and are kept in-check. A very well-balanced sound. Vocals and piano are delicious with it. Acoustic sounds are addictive as you are presented with so much detail. Sony claims these are 40mm, 3Hz to 100kHz "Hi-Res Audio" headphones with "ultimate clarity" from the built-in S-Master HX amplifier. I would tend to believe them.

The 50mm, 5Hz to 30kHz M-100, by comparison, has an immense sound stage. This is likely because its sound is far more layered and shaped than the extremely well-balanced 1ADAC. The M-100 is far more "punchy" and fun, and has very prominent bass that you really, actually feel as it ripples through the ear pads. But, the bass in particular is without any bloat or muddiness, nor does it adversely affect the highs and mids. It's also quite a bit isolated, likely in part due to the XL ear pads. I greatly prefer the M-100 for EDM. Although, you are not presented with the same level of detail in the highs and mids as the 1ADAC. Next, some head-to-heads:

M-100 via 3.5 mm and 1ADAC via 3.5 mm - Samsung Galaxy S6:

Volume was 2 steps before max. Consider first that the S6 has a great internal DAC/Amp to begin with, but the M-100 is the clear winner. The highs, mids and lows all more prominent and alive. Bass is far more noticeable, especially with EDM. Although, vocals/piano are not too far behind on the 1ADAC.

M-100 via 3.5 mm vs 1ADAC via USB - Samsung Galaxy S6:

The 1ADAC comes out ahead, obviously, no? The highs and mids come out of their hiding. The subtleties in the track are also out, front and center. Vocals and piano are heard with detail. The bass and sub-bass dance around everything, bringing it all in to balance. It's also so smooth and crystal-clear sounding with massive detail. It's absolutely beautiful. I had a hard time pressing stop on the track to continue the comparison.

The M-100 on its own is no slouch by any means, but it's just that the DAC/AMP is a significant component in the chain, suffice it to say. The whole point here after all is to DAC or not to DAC, right? Lets try that.

M-100 via FiiO E18 KUNLUN vs 1ADAC via USB - Windows PC:

The M-100 really radiates here. It has just about everything the 1ADAC has to offer, but with a decidedly more powerful sound in all regards. The highs and mids are very much alive, although you still miss some very noticeable amount of detail in vocals and piano that you otherwise get with the 1ADAC. But, it's a more-than-reasonable compromise for my listening habits. The sound stage is widened tremendously (something the little FiiO is known for), and the bass comes out with booming authority. EDM is like a massage for my ear lobes. 

It almost makes me wonder why I bought the 1ADAC. That is, until I look down at the FiiO itself to realize I've been carrying an extra device that's almost double the thickness of the Samsung Galaxy S6 alone. I am also reminded that the FiiO has some minor, but still noticeable, areas of distortion in the highs and mids at times. It's rare, but when you hear it, it's all you can focus on for a moment or two. By contrast, the 1ADAC doesn't show this at all, what it's meant to handle it handles with clarity and precision -- it's a perfect pairing of driver and electronics.

In conclusion, while the M-100 and FiiO are a powerhouse combo, still, the 1ADAC still has a better balanced sound, and more comfort, both physically and in regards to listening fatigue. If you want the subtle details and nuances with crystal clarity, the 1ADAC is the go-to choice in my setup. The M-100/FiiO is Red Bull for your ear drums, while the 1ADAC is Cristal.

Sony MDR-1ADAC vs Sony MDR-1RBTMK2

I will shift focus on a comparison to the MDR-1RBTMK2. I've been a huge proponent of it and have voiced so on these forums in the 1RBTMK2 thread and the "High End Bluetooth" thread. It was a difficult choice for me to buy the 1ADAC, as I wasn't sure what it could possibly offer me over the 1RBTMK2. But, I'm glad I did now that I've had a chance to compare.

For this comparison, it seemed fair to me to only use what the headphones offered and their intended use. When connected to the Samsung Galaxy S6, the 1RBTMK2 was via AptX Bluetooth and the 1ADAC was via the proprietary micro USB OTG cable. 

I can concur with what some others have said in this thread in that the sub-bass is far more prominent in the 1ADAC than in the 1RBTMK2. More so, everything else sounds a notch better with the 1ADAC. It's not vastly different, though. In other words, if you like the sound from the 1RBTMK2 you will love the sound from the 1ADAC. Both are a very well-balanced experience and a great way of being introduced to proper sound and for breaking bad habits from lesser quality gear, price notwithstanding *cough*****Beats*cough*.

Pros:

-Fantastic, well-balanced sound. Just like the 1RBTMK2 but a notch higher in all regards, no doubt due to the built-in DAC/Amp. Notable improvement in sub-bass (bassheads still need not apply). 

-Analogue rotary volume knob. What? Yeah. A good effort, and certainly impressive to see and use on cans. The 1RBTMK2 has small, push-activated volume buttons similar to a cellphone.

-Extremely comfortable, but I'd give a slight edge to the cups on the 1RBTMK2 as a personal preference. However, both provide nearly zero fatigue and I can use either for 8+hours. In fact, removing them sometimes makes me miss wearing them. Like a pair of good, inner felt and outer calfskin driving gloves, you feel naked and exposed when they're removed. I think your ear drums will tire out first before your ear lobes. Sony really know what they're doing in this area.

-High quality cables. 3.5 MM, Micro USB, USB Type A, Lightning, and Walkman. The cables are tough and tangle resistant. The molded piece that attaches to the connectors has a special stress-relieving design. It's subtle things that we may overlook but are key to the quality of a product. However, all of the USB cables are proprietary in some way.

-High quality nylon carrying pouch (actual high quality, not like a typical throwaway, China-made sold on eBay). For those with a 1RBTMK2 or other recent high-end Sony's, it's identical to the one included with those.

-Looks and feels high quality. Just like the 1RBTMK2, these suckers look fan-friggin-tastic. They're not audacious or chintzy. You could say they have an executive look, very clean and modern. The leather looks soft and supple (and feels that way, too). The red anodized ring finishes the look perfectly. The main differences between it and the 1RBTMK2 is that its two micro USB ports are exposed (likely for convenience), only the 3.5 mm port has a cover, and there is a subtle texture on the face of the cans. The 1RBTMK2 has a matte surface on the cans and all ports have flaps to keep them covered.

-CONVENIENT. This is by far the most notable quality of the 1ADAC. Even considering the wireless 1RBTMK2 and even also considering the portable FiiO. The convenience factor is off-the-charts here. Just plug the fkrs in and G2G. Although its convenience is hampered by proprietary cables.

Cons:
Some cons are pretty obvious at this point but it's only fair to mention them anyway. I'll start with the most annoying one for me personally.

-PROPRIETARY CABLES. Ugh, why, Sony? Why?! This is not a new area of dismay for Sony. While it's not say, a push for a new or competing standard or redundant format (Memory Stick, Vita Memory), it's still takes the convenience factor down a notch and is something that personally irks me to no end. Even the completely standard-looking micro USB to USB Type A cable is proprietary! I found this out by attempting to connect to a computer. Only the included cable would work. I tried all sorts of cables, from a basic one to an Aukey "premium" cable. Also, I don't have one to test with, but it's reasonable to assume that a USB extension cable wouldn't work, which means you're limited to the 4-foot cable provided.

-USB Driver required for Windows. This is more of an annoyance than a con since once you install the driver you're set, but still worth mentioning. This is especially annoying considering the FiiO was plug-and-play with automatic driver install. Also, the Sony USB driver installation program would not complete without being able to detect the device, which as I mentioned in the previous point, required the use of the included, seemingly standard, but obviously proprietary, micro USB to USB Type A cable.

-USB Driver not included in package, nor available to download from the US support site. I had to download from the Sony Asia site. Yes, really. Here's the link.

-Battery life is 7.5 hours. Personally, I'm not sure if this is a con or not. I suppose it either makes the 1RBTMK2 seem like a marathoner with its 30 hour battery life, or makes the 1ADAC look weak. Maybe both? I think my mindset is too wrapped around recent flagship cellphone battery life. I also consider reasonable listening times, which 7.5 hours seems fine to me. I haven't had them that long, but I haven't out-juiced them thus far.

-No Play/Pause, Forward or Reverse buttons. The FiiO has them, what gives?

-Did I mention PROPRIETARY CABLES?

The end result is that on-the-go, I tend to limit what I listen to because it's hard to compromise the sound if I don't have my M-100/FiiO combo. With the 1ADAC, my options are bigger than ever. As when I first got my 1RBTMK2, once again I'm finding myself re-listening my music for those hidden details that are finally out in the open thanks to the 1ADAC. What a great set of headphones.

All said, in a sea of high-quality headphones and DACs, both portable and "portable", the Sony just shines. How awesome is it to just grab a pair of great-looking powered cans, plug in a single, high quality cable to a thin and sleek, black metal and glass Samsung Galaxy S6? (Or iPhone 6, if that's your thing).

I took some comparison photos as seen below:

Sony MDR-1ADAC exposed ports and volume knob.

Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 covered ports.

Sony MDR-1ADAC textured driver housing.

Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 smooth driver housing.

Sony MDR-1ADAC earpads.

Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 earpads.

Sony MDR-1ADAC textured driver housing closeup.

Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 smooth driver housing.

Sony MDR-1ADAC proprietary cable for micro USB OTG (output from your device) to micro USB with proprietary connector (input to headphones).

*The "active noise cancelling" of the Logitech UE 6000 is so odd. It doesn't do much to cancel any actual background noise, but it does expand the entire range, especially the low end. It seemingly curves it in to more of a "V", and does a decent job of improving things.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #63 of 172
Thanks for the write up.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #64 of 172
Thanks for the write up. Do you know if there is a driver for the Fiio X3? Mine is set to output to DAC but I get no music out of these cans. Thanks.

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #65 of 172
Hi. I'm in the process of purchasing these or the Bluetooth version without the DAC (30hours battery life)  I'm under the impression that the DAC is only needed if your going to use the high resolution sound otherwise its not needed?  I'm reading many reports that the Sony MDR1A/BT sounds incredible on its own.  So question is, " If I'm using these as a casual music listener and for movies, the DAC is overkill?" Your thoughts? 

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #68 of 172
  Can someone tell me why Bluetooth? 

For the very reasons you've stated in your question - it already sounds very good, with an added wireless convenience.  For your intended purpose you may not even discern much, if any, difference between the two headphones.

If you pair it with a recent model Xperia Z-series phone (i.e. Z3, Z3+, Z5 or the Compact variants) you'll be able to use the LDAC capability of the 1ABT - a superior wireless codec, although there is still little evidence whether this translates into improved sound quality.

I switched to bluetooth headphones entirely a few years ago and never looked back. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #69 of 172
Elektron,

How do movies work,  in your experience,  on Bluetooth.  I've read that sometimes their is a delay, with what you hear and what you see, when people are talking in movies.  I now own the MDRX10 by Sony with the 50mm Driver.  Will I notice a downgrade in sound?  They were made in 2013.,

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #70 of 172
There is always a delay with any wireless technology, including bluetoot.  I also own a couple of KLEER headphones by Sennheiser, which were made specifically for TV and they also have the delay.  The recent AptX Low Latency codec addresses that but there aren't that many devices compatible with it at the moment.

Having said that, I have never noticed any delay with either bluetooth or clear, unless I also had the TV speakers on at the same time.  We are only talking 4-5 hundreds of a second.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #71 of 172
Oct 19, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #73 of 172

Depending on the codec used (i.e. SBC, Aptx, AptX Low Latency etc) it could be as much as 100 - 150 ms, which is still fine for watching movies.

As long as you don't have OCD. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #74 of 172
I went ahead and ordered the Bluetooth version of these headphones. I hope I did the right thing.  I found them, in black, on amazon for $100 less than the silvers.  Japan import.  Is their a link for the thread TALKING ABOUT THE BLUTOOTH SONY  MDR1A's? Thank you guys! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back