Awesome or Gimmick ? Sonys MDR-1ADAC
Oct 5, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #167 of 172
Last night i bought a pair on clearance sale at my local sony center for just $70 (from $400). I've had the regular mdr-1a for years now (daily beater along side the dt770). I've been using them with the included wm cable plugged to my wm1a and so far for the initial price of $400 they are very luckluster (same can be said with the regular mdr 1a).

The only pair of cans i have with me right now is my old trusty wireless master and dynamic mw60 (bought them back in 2016 for $550) and compared to them the 1adac is just...

Treble: peaky and prone to sibilance
Midrange: decent, doesnt have much coloration but it can be dry at times
Bass: could use more slam and more body in the midbass
Soundstage: no soundstage at all! Especially compared to my mw60 (images very well even on wireless mode)

My distaste for these could be attributed to my preference for a warmer signature, ill try to change the stock pads on these with the pads i have on my regular 1a (which are quite dark sounding) and see where that takes me.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #168 of 172
Late to the party here about these great headphones, but in case any of you OG's are still here subscribed to this thread.. I tried to hook the MDR-1ADAC up to my PS5 controller (by plugging in the 3.5mm male standard audio jack from headphones to controller), but they're turning off automatically... is there any way around this, or is it simply just how it is? Why would they even provide 3.5mm jack if it simply doesn't work?

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #169 of 172
Late to the party here about these great headphones, but in case any of you OG's are still here subscribed to this thread.. I tried to hook the MDR-1ADAC up to my PS5 controller (by plugging in the 3.5mm male standard audio jack from headphones to controller), but they're turning off automatically... is there any way around this, or is it simply just how it is? Why would they even provide 3.5mm jack if it simply doesn't work?
First time I've heard of that. Have you tried them with a different source via the 3.5mm jack?

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #171 of 172
I will try it today and see how it goes!
Turning off? You are talking about the analog jack under the "Input" door on the cans? That should work as a normal non powered headphone jack. Try turning off the headphone amp/dac and use the jack under the "Input" door.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #172 of 172
As others mentioned - but with a bit more clarity - yes, the headphones turn off the integrated DAC/AMP when you connect the 3.5mm jack. This behavior is by design and it allows the headphones to be driven passively by whatever source you're plugging the other end of the cable into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back