Awesome or Gimmick ? Sonys MDR-1ADAC
Nov 4, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #151 of 172
I have them both! but I think MDR-1ADAC sounds better than ZX300 so it's a bit of money wasting combining this 2. NWZ-A15 would be enough
But, I'd moded 1ADAC input jack to get balance from ZX300. they do sounds better now, especially when having a good balanced cable.

Won't argue that, but I was hoping it was the 300s sound coming through when connected. I never received a reply from Sony about that.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #153 of 172
but I was hoping it was the 300s sound coming through when connected
turning on the headphones and connecting them digitaly to the zx300 player via USB , this will act as a transport and will send DIGITALY songs to head's DAC.
so i mean it is cheaper and better to use A15 or other player as a transport (of course if MDR-1aDAC is supporting them) buying zx300 and connecting to the 1aDAC analogicaly (passive connection via 3.5mm jack) is waste of money .

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #154 of 172
turning on the headphones and connecting them digitaly to the zx300 player via USB , this will act as a transport and will send DIGITALY songs to head's DAC.
so i mean it is cheaper and better to use A15 or other player as a transport (of course if MDR-1aDAC is supporting them) buying zx300 and connecting to the 1aDAC analogicaly (passive connection via 3.5mm jack) is waste of money .

Good thing I have the A50!

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #155 of 172
I have a pair of MDR-1ADAC that I had put aside for the last couple of years. I struggled getting them to work with iPhone (or iPad) a few years back, with only Sony’s included Lightning cable working reliably, but which then limited output to 48kHz max. All my attempts to connect using Sony’s USB cable combined with the only two Apple USB adapters (Apple‘s USB camera adapter or the USB 3,0 adapter that allows simultaneously connecting a lightning cable to provide more power) being unbelievably flaky in iOS - connection would only be recognized 1 out of 10 times.

Anyway… I am looking to buy a true Sony Walkman to pair with my MDR-1ADAC so that I can finally digitally feed all kinds of high-Rez formats into them.

My problem now is that Sony has dropped the WM-port from all the new Walkman models. I am looking to buy one of the android based Walkman models in the $200-300 price range, but the whole point is to be able digitally feed all the high-Res audio formats to the 1ADAC. The newer Walkmans seem to have all replaced the WM-port with a USB-C port, but it is not clear that this would all feeding the 1ADAC, or which cord that comes with the 1ADAC would be the one to use in this case (since none have a USB-C connector on them).

Anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #156 of 172
Hello @bsd107

Afaik all the iDevices limit to 48khz by default.

Regarding your USB type-c question, I have a type-c to micro USB cable and can test that with a type-c device if you would like. The cable I use is from Sony themselves, I connect a fiio dac to my android phone with it and it works flawlessly.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #157 of 172
@VDRIVIN thanks for your help. I figured a USB-C adapter that allowed connecting to the 1ADAC micro-USB port might work, but it is not clear to me whether a Sony Walkman would output the digital music to the 1ADAC this way…

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #158 of 172
In theory they should adhere to the standard USB specifications while using generic USB ports, so my guess would be yes.

I've just tested with a type-c adapter and my phone connects to the headphones just fine and plays music. I just remembered why I don't connect them this way - in my opinion the max volume on the amp on these headphones is capped too low for my tastes, so I drive them externally :)

00236551_PHA-2A.png

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #159 of 172
Anyway… I am looking to buy a true Sony Walkman to pair with my MDR-1ADAC so that I can finally digitally feed all kinds of high-Rez formats into them.

My problem now is that Sony has dropped the WM-port from all the new Walkman models. I am looking to buy one of the android based Walkman models in the $200-300 price range, but the whole point is to be able digitally feed all the high-Res audio formats to the 1ADAC.
Thanks!

Why would you want to bypass the Walkman's DAC in favour of the MDR1's DAC? Even the lower end (A30/40/50) Walkmans' (Walkmen's ?) DAC are at least on par with the one in MDR1, probably superior.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #161 of 172
Interesting opinions (i.e. that the A50/A100 series would have DAC‘s at least as good). Given that, I’d like to have BOTH options - i.e. be able to use the DAC/amp built into the 1ADAC, OR drive them over analog cable from the A50/A100 headphone jack.

I have been doing research on both the A55 and A105, and have decided that I prefer the A105. (A key advantage for me of the A55 would be that I am guaranteed that it can work with the 1ADAC’s internal DAC/amp, since the A55 has the old WM-port. However, otherwise I prefer the A105.)

As long as the A105 can feed an external DAC over USB, it should work with my 1ADAC, but unless somebody has done this, I am not guaranteed….

(Again, I am a little gun-shy after failing to get iPhones with Apple’s lightning-to-USB adapters, both versions, to drive the 1ADAC. Having been burned once, I just want to be sure before pulling the trigger on a A105.)

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #165 of 172
Just to update on my question regarding MDR-1ADAC working with a Sony NW-A100TPS (25th anniversary edition Walkman), I was successful in getting digital connection to the headphones from the Walkman. Basically, as long as I connect the Walkman's USB-C port to the standard microUSB port on the headphones, it is recognized and audio sounds great. Key is the use the standard microUSB port (i.e. the one labelled "PC/CHARGE"), not the proprietary port.

Thanks to all who helped with advice before I purchased the Walkman and figure this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back