Awesome or Gimmick ? Sonys MDR-1ADAC
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #136 of 172
Hi all,

My ADACs are on their last legs (battery on its way out).

My question is in two parts

1) Has anyone heard of a successor (I've found nothing)
2) Or is the DAC in the new wireless X1000XM3 comparable to the ADACS?

Thanks

Richard

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #137 of 172
Hi all,

My ADACs are on their last legs (battery on its way out).

My question is in two parts

1) Has anyone heard of a successor (I've found nothing)
2) Or is the DAC in the new wireless X1000XM3 comparable to the ADACS?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard!

So how long did the battery last? Since when do you own the headphones?
I got mine two weeks ago and started thinking about the battery life. As they are not telling in any way how much % is left, it is hard to manage the charging cycles in a healthy way.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #138 of 172
I bought my in 2014 when they first came out and have used them heavily.

They still work great, but the battery life just isn’t what it used to be. Not unusable though.

I tend to use them through an external DAC now so the battery is less of an issue.

Hope this helps.

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #139 of 172
I've been driving mine externally almost exclusively (I find the internal DAC a bit narrow-sounding and quiet)
When I first got them the battery took about a couple of hours to actually start charging (the led was not lighting up) , you could tell that they've been siting for long years on the shelf. Also the outside portion of the ear pads, where they meet the plastic of the headphones themselves, cracked within the first few days of light use

I'm really curious in what state the battery is after this much neglect, I'll give it a go tonight and report back with the findings.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #140 of 172
MDR.jpg
ZX300.jpg
These make a great pair! Digital sound!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #142 of 172
These make a great pair! Digital sound!
I have them both! but I think MDR-1ADAC sounds better than ZX300 so it's a bit of money wasting combining this 2. NWZ-A15 would be enough
But, I'd moded 1ADAC input jack to get balance from ZX300. they do sounds better now, especially when having a good balanced cable.
Or is the DAC in the new wireless X1000XM3 comparable to the ADACS?
i think 1ADAC are better in sound quality, because data transfer is greater via cable rather than BT ..
since there are no other oportunity, 1000XM3 would be a great choise.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #143 of 172
I have them both! but I think MDR-1ADAC sounds better than ZX300 so it's a bit of money wasting combining this 2. NWZ-A15 would be enough
But, I'd moded 1ADAC input jack to get balance from ZX300. they do sounds better now, especially when having a good balanced cable.

i think 1ADAC are better in sound quality, because data transfer is greater via cable rather than BT ..
since there are no other oportunity, 1000XM3 would be a great choise.

I agree if the the 1000XM3 is going via BT but what about wired?

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #146 of 172
The hardware in the 1000XM3 is pretty good.

not sure there is much need for a separate dac
ohh I understand now , you are talking about active connection via cable :)
I thought about passive one . Yeah , S-Master HX from 1000XM3 is pretty good :)
But you must know , these aren’t the high end like cable ones )

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #148 of 172
IMGP8665.jpg
IMGP8668.jpg
IMGP8670.jpg
IMGP8673.jpg
IMGP8678.jpg
IMGP8681.jpg

3.5 mm female jack has balanced conection with 5 pole and this is good. we just need to separate second ground from the headphone's input jack , as it is used for automatic disconection of DAC circuitry . in case of pluging 3.5mm male standard audio jack, headphones are automaticaly turning off the DAC.
we need to take this second ground and connect directly to speaker's minus pole ( bypassing disconection sensor).
but at the same time, we are intending to maintain good functionality of the DAC, so i've mounted an external switch (with 2 positions and 3 pins-connectors) to bypass automatic disconection.
1 position puts back ground to his circuity and turns back DAC functionality with his sensor, but 2nd position disconects DAC and connects ground directly to one speaker (which hasnt directly connection to ground, i forgot which of them, left or right, i think right, the one with battery)
p.s. if you are hearing a noise when switching DSD songs on player, connection is wrong.

here are some photo .. , hope you'll understand

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #149 of 172
@mutnai, thank you so much for your time, the pictures and the explanation.

I was under the impression that I needed to change the female jack, I didn't know it was balanced - so good news in this department!
The mod is simple enough and I might end up trying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back