Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing. Better than I expected !
Apr 19, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #31 of 59
Alizee :p This thread should get a "not safe for work" caption just cos of that gif, cos once you reach it scrolling beyond it takes quite a lot of determination and mental effort.

Coming back to AL

AL started in the right direction, kind of like giving the finger to all the other popular female vocalists who sold their albums because of hot music videos rather than music.

But I really do think she has lost it, I dont think she ever had it to begin with though, but the first album, since it was fresh, was a little appealing. Based on her work, songs like "I'm with you" and "Complicated" might stand in a better position over the years as compared to her more recent songs.

She is simply riding on her I am young and a rebel attitude and selling half baked mush pop rock. Not any different than any of the other songs you would here if you randomly switched on the radio.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #32 of 59
I haven't heard from Avril since her Complicated days so I decided to "sample" her new CD before buying it.

What happened?
confused.gif
I agree that when she first came out she had some potential. Sure, she was just a Pop-Princess, but compared to Britany she was at least more interesting. I wanted to like her new CD, really, I did. But I could barely make it pass Girlfriend. Is this really what pop music sounds like now? I didn't know it had gotten so bad.

Admittedly I have only heard the first track of the CD so far but my quick review: It fails miserably even as a pop song. First, Avril was never a strong singer, now it just sounds like she's screaming the words; this isn't singing, it's annoying. Second, most pop songs while simple, are catchy and are easy to remember and hum even after one listening. This song was not catchy, I repeat: It is annoying.

Is this the same girl that sang Complicated and I'm with you? I can't believe now that her lyrics are now composed of her yelling "Hey! Hey! You! You! I don't like your girlfriend!" And don't even get me started on the video...
mad.gif

P.S. Throwing in a few random curse words doesn't make it any better.

May 23, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your feedbacks guys. I take it in the sake of fairness you all heard every single track before making your judgments ?

Yes,from start to finish,the whole thing all the way through,and I still think its total unadulterated trash.Especially 'Girlfriend' and "Hot" :insert pukey smily:

May 23, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #34 of 59
After sitting down and re-listening to it with my 16 year old daughter,we have together decided it is worse then we first thought.... There most certainly needs to
be a warning sticker on the packaging in very bold print....

Attention ! : (Nurotoxic Warning), Could Cause SEVERE brain damage !! Use at own risk !

May 23, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's a little different than the "hate him, I am on my own" style in the 2nd album...

So...you mean to tell me, she had a SECOND album and this is her THIRD??? What? Guess that one bombed cause this is the 1st time I've heard her on the radio again after her 1st albums' "Complicated" and "I'm with You" songs...

Well, also goes to show how much I listen to the radio...but judging by alot of my recent DLd songs, you'de think that's what I've been doing, lol. Go figure..
confused.gif

May 23, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quit hating Avril, people. The songs were fabricated by her corporate masters, same as everyone else. It isn't the poor girl's fault.

Perhaps she shouldn't have signed so many contracts, and thought about the art for a change.

May 24, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Perhaps she shouldn't have signed so many contracts, and thought about the art for a change.

And starve like the other 52485 other bands/artists trying to make big. For someone doing this professionally, that's an expensive price to pay. She got her break, lets be happy for her. Pop or major label isn't music destroyer and you aren't the messiah either. So lets not cast stones. PUHLEASE

May 24, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And starve like the other 52485 other bands/artists trying to make big. For someone doing this professionally, that's an expensive price to pay. She got her break, lets be happy for her. Pop or major label isn't music destroyer and you aren't the messiah either. So lets not cast stones. PUHLEASE

So basically you're saying its OK to sell out? Riiiight. That kind of attitude is the exact reason why we have to listen to "artists" like Avril Lavigne on the radio, while real musicians play gig to gig just to survive, never making it big.

May 24, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quit hating Avril, people. The songs were fabricated by her corporate masters, same as everyone else. It isn't the poor girl's fault.

You're being sarcastic, right? (sometimes it's difficult to tell over the internet)

Anyway, she's doing exactly what she wants to do. She writes her own music. It's not as if Avril Lavigne could make Exile in Guyville without Arista Records breathing down her neck. She is not capable of that.

Did her record company tell her to act bratty all the time, alienate many of her younger fans by cursing freely on this record, and to marry that ****** from Sum 41?

This is all her own doing.

Sorry to further crap your thread, raymondlin. I don't really have anything against Avril Lavigne. In fact, there is a good review of the album here from Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AMG.

May 24, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What a ridiculous statement. Do you know ANYTHING about the music industry? It's easier than ever for an indie artist to make more than a great salary as a musician.

There are lots more than 52,000 musicians out there, and the ones that perform professionally are dedicating their lives to their craft. For the majority of professional musicians, it isn't about the money. For the ones that make a grand fortune for their work, they had to have extremely large ambitions, a great work ethic, and a hell of a lot of luck. But just two of those three characteristics can allow any musician to achieve a proper career.

Avril Lavigne is a representative of her big-label record firm. She does what they tell her to. She didn't have to take that path, however. You're right, pop music isn't the "destroyer", but I never made a claim otherwise anyway. Sure, it's ruining the superficial categorization of the art of music as a whole, but it's a free market and I'm perfectly fine with that. People who want to sell their souls for an exorbitant amount of money should be allowed to do so! But I'll tell you this much: Many musicians are, and are capable of, sticking true to their artistic merits and goals while still making Lavigne-levels of cash revenue. It's a business and you have to play it smart. The ones who don't mind such artistic merit become slaves to the labels, and that's their prerogative, but if you know enough about the entertainment industry, you can be not nearly as popular as Lavigne is and still make more money than her.

I never claimed to be the messiah. It appears that it's perfectly okay to like something, but once you DISLIKE something, you're immediately taken as some politically-incorrect warlord. Frankly, I find your attitude on this manner sickening, because it's illogical and completely invalid because you don't have the first clue of what you're talking about. But that's fine - people on my side of the music industry make money off of people with much more intelligent mindsets than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back