Avantone : Pro Planar
May 10, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #1,111 of 1,500
Basic inital thoughts:
- Wider and better segragation of individual sounds.
- Notes feel like they have more space around them (don't mistake this for fast and airy, it's not that).
- Less tonal density
- Better sub-bass lift and transients than the velour pads
- Still a bit on the warm side
- Better treble and upper mids (the 1.3 kHz and 3.9 kHz areas are handled the same as with the velour but the 5.5 kHz dip is lifted to nearly sounding linear. The wobbliness around 6-9 kHz is handled better as well. << These observations are consistent with my earlier ones regarding these pads)
- The leathers seem to lower the listening volume by 2-3 dB.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #1,112 of 1,500
I've heard the closed Sine, very nice sounding. Especially for being so small. I think the headphone that really catches my attention is the Mod House Argon MK2/MK3. I have beyond enough juice for portable and at home use. All reviews and impressions are beyond positive and the price is great.
The T50rp DBV3 mod with mayflower pads is rocking my world :)

May 11, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,113 of 1,500
Basic inital thoughts:
- Notes feel like they have more space around them (don't mistake this for fast and airy, it's not that).
- Less tonal density
- Better treble and upper mids (the 1.3 kHz and 3.9 kHz areas are handled the same as with the velour but the 5.5 kHz dip is lifted to nearly sounding linear. The wobbliness around 6-9 kHz is handled better as well. << These observations are consistent with my earlier ones regarding these pads)
With the perforations normally you should end up with a darker tonality than similar pads with velour materials. At least that's my findings with the Brainwavz pads. To me the gain in speed and tonality just makes the headphone a lot more involving overall.

May 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,114 of 1,500
Basic inital thoughts:
- Less tonal density
Further thoughts:
- Side to side panning seems to be smoother. In the song "Flume" by Bon Iver @ 19 seconds in there is a violin that swells from pp to mp back to pp and transitions from right to left. With the leather pads I am able to track that violin the entire way.
- 30 Hz is definitely more audible than on the stock Planar and 20 Hz actually has the resemblence of tone opposed to driver flutter.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,115 of 1,500
With the perforations normally you should end up with a darker tonality than similar pads with velour materials. At least that's my findings with the Brainwavz pads. To me the gain in speed and tonality just makes the headphone a lot more involving overall.
What is your definition of "dark"? I see dark and warm used interchangably but they mean different things to me.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #1,117 of 1,500
More notes:
- 1 kHz is reduced by maybe 3 dB and same goes for the 1.3 kHz bump.
- The 1.7 kHz dip is still audible and about the same as on stock. Perhaps even 0.5 dB lower. It needs to lift 2-3 dB.
- The rise from 1.7-2.8 kHz is louder by about 2 dB.
- 2.8 Khz is about the same but maybe <1 dB greater with my mods.
- The 3.9 Khz trench is about 3-4 dB higher than on stock, effectively ameliorating that issue.
- It is safe to say that the 5.2 kHz raised about 2 dB. I wouldn't say anymore.

The big downside here is the 1 kHz damping and the fact that the 1.7 kHz dip wasn't really changed. This is why the mods on this headphone sound a bit warm. Now, the 1.3 kHz damping is good, that frequency can be a little zingy but I'd rather have that than a shy 1 kHz.

I wonder what I can do to solve this.

May 12, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,118 of 1,500
Did you try to put some foam under the pads? High density or low density.

1-IMG_20170720_155957_917.jpg

May 12, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,119 of 1,500
Did you try to put some foam under the pads? High density or low density.

1-IMG_20170720_155957_917.jpg
No I have not. The culprit might be the type of memory foam used in the pads. I’ve bought Vesper ear pads before for my M1060 and they had that same frequency range hollowed out.

May 12, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,120 of 1,500
No I have not. The culprit might be the type of memory foam used in the pads. I’ve bought Vesper ear pads before for my M1060 and they had that same frequency range hollowed out.
How does the M1060 compare with the Avantone? Always been curious about those budget Monoprice planars.

May 12, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #1,121 of 1,500
How does the M1060 compare with the Avantone? Always been curious about those budget Monoprice planars.
The headphone isn't too bad actually. It does suffer from modal breakup which is what gives it the infamous 5 kHz resonance so, it is a little zingy.

May 13, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,122 of 1,500
Just received support info from Avantone regarding the availability and price of replacement pads.

In stock, $59 per pair

I appreciate Avantone’s brand but these pads don’t strike me as being as premium as the price tag would imply.

Still gonna buy a pair though :/

May 13, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #1,123 of 1,500
Just received support info from Avantone regarding the availability and price of replacement pads.

In stock, $59 per pair

I appreciate Avantone’s brand but these pads don’t strike me as being as premium as the price tag would imply.

Still gonna buy a pair though :/
60$ EARPADS that's a joke

May 25, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #1,125 of 1,500
Gonna give EQ another heave recommendation, just experimented with some massive bass EQ and it really transforms the sound without distorting (well, the HP won't distort, but a bad song will still sound garbage). The Furi OST has a wide range of sounds from big bass hits to very crisp cymbals and synths- just listening to it but with different EQs is like having a different headphone, particularly because of the ability to instantly change the EQ profile while listening so you actually hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back