Avantone : Pro Planar
May 26, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #1,126 of 1,500
Avantone should make a closed-back version of the Planar, that would be a studio hit. Ideally something a bit more compact and lighter. Right now I'm trying to tune my Audeze Sine and make it sound as such - I think it's possible by testing other earpads. But still, the Planar is my benchmark in terms of tonality.

May 28, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #1,127 of 1,500
Okay y’all. Here’s an update on what I’ve been up to.

Today I mailed the stock planar memory foam (from the pads) to Bergad, a specialty foam fabricator, to be analyzed and hopefully emulated. My plan is to make my own custom pads. That is project number one.

Project two is to create metal mounts for the transducer. I already have the parts necessary but intuition tells me that these parts aren’t going to work. Plus, there’s no point in doing this mod until there’s a decent soldering toolkit in my possession.

Project three is pretty long term. I’m focusing on learning COMSOL Multiphysics. Hopefully this will enable me to model any headphone and figure solutions easier.

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #1,128 of 1,500
Okay y’all. Here’s an update on what I’ve been up to.

Today I mailed the stock planar memory foam (from the pads) to Bergad, a specialty foam fabricator, to be analyzed and hopefully emulated. My plan is to make my own custom pads. That is project number one.

Project two is to create metal mounts for the transducer. I already have the parts necessary but intuition tells me that these parts aren’t going to work. Plus, there’s no point in doing this mod until there’s a decent soldering toolkit in my possession.

Project three is pretty long term. I’m focusing on learning COMSOL Multiphysics. Hopefully this will enable me to model any headphone and figure solutions easier.
what sort of pad do you plan to make? has anyone ever put hybrid pads on these? (you've done awesome work, btw)

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,129 of 1,500
what sort of pad do you plan to make? has anyone ever put hybrid pads on these? (you've done awesome work, btw)
Currently my plan is to have a custom foam formulation made that emulates the stock foam. From there I'll test with different materials and pad shapes so that I can more precisely determine what aspects of the FR are most affected by the pads. So, as of now I have no real plan for a specific pad design.

And thanks!

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,130 of 1,500
I'm watching my friends speakers and woofer, and we built them to be neutral. These perform like 50,000$ focals (he did the math and got feedback from professionals in the industry).

How is this relevant? Well, aside from the sub bass roll off on the planar, the HP sounds just like the speakers, so we can absolutely confirm these are very high end headphones.
IMG_20210606_121223.jpg

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,131 of 1,500
I'm watching my friends speakers and woofer, and we built them to be neutral. These perform like 50,000$ focals (he did the math and got feedback from professionals in the industry).

How is this relevant? Well, aside from the sub bass roll off on the planar, the HP sounds just like the speakers, so we can absolutely confirm these are very high end headphones.
IMG_20210606_121223.jpg
That’s pretty awesome. What’s the listening setup?

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,132 of 1,500

And the bass roll off is mostly caused by the crappy earpads actually.

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #1,133 of 1,500
That’s pretty awesome. What’s the listening setup?
MTMWW @3.5 OHMS, powered by emotiva basx a100
Keeping them in my bedroom so not much space, but the small room keeps it so that I don't need much power to make the entire room shake.

The woofers are 10" drivers used for subwoofers so they can play down to 20Hz+a port on the bottom tuned to play below 80Hz.

I can't remember the mid and tweeter model, but they sound excellent- drums and piano sound like they're playing in the same room as you.

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,134 of 1,500
Recently acquired a pair and loving the sound! Was curious if anyone tried using these with a balanced cable? I think the company reached out to some reviewer and confirmed that it should still work - albeit the configuration not being truly balanced (?)

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #1,135 of 1,500
Recently acquired a pair and loving the sound! Was curious if anyone tried using these with a balanced cable? I think the company reached out to some reviewer and confirmed that it should still work - albeit the configuration not being truly balanced (?)
From my experience. It doesn't work. I have a Cardas cable, it worked for a few seconds, but then sounded kept cutting in and out on right or left driver and sounded distorted. Also I do not see the use going balanced with the Planar. It doesn't need much power to shine 😊

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,136 of 1,500
From my experience. It doesn't work. I have a Cardas cable, it worked for a few seconds, but then sounded kept cutting in and out on right or left driver and sounded distorted. Also I do not see the use going balanced with the Planar. It doesn't need much power to shine 😊
Hm I have a balanced cable for the R70X's connected with 2.5mm->3.5mm adapters and it seems to be working consistently - but I haven't cracked the cups open to uncouple the two negative signals from each other yet. Any tips on doing so?

I do fully agree with you regarding them shining without any modifications, but since my friend is gifting a fully balanced setup I thought I might as well use it balanced 😅

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,137 of 1,500
You can cut the flat wire that connects the two earcups together and then you will be truly running balanced as long as you use the A/T R70X cable. You can pull the cut cable out of the headband. Anyone can run balanced by cutting the flat wire but you will then have to have a cable like the one for the A/T R70X where the left channel 3.5mm connector is wired tip positive and sleeve ground. The right channel 3.5mm connector has to be wired ring positive and sleeve ground. Once you cut the flat wire you won't be able to use the stock cables or any standard cable but only one wired as described above and you can't reverse the connections on the earcups.

In order to use a standard cable you would have to disassemble the earcups and change the stock wiring. On my Planars I disassembled the earcups, removed the flat cable, and wired them so that tip is positive on L and R. I connected ring and shield together for ground. That way any standard cable that is wired with tip positive and either ring or shield ground will work. Hope that all makes sense.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,138 of 1,500
You can cut the flat wire that connects the two earcups together and then you will be truly running balanced as long as you use the A/T R70X cable. You can pull the cut cable out of the headband. Anyone can run balanced by cutting the flat wire but you will then have to have a cable like the one for the A/T R70X where the left channel 3.5mm connector is wired tip positive and sleeve ground. The right channel 3.5mm connector has to be wired ring positive and sleeve ground. Once you cut the flat wire you won't be able to use the stock cables or any standard cable but only one wired as described above and you can't reverse the connections on the earcups.

In order to use a standard cable you would have to disassemble the earcups and change the stock wiring. On my Planars I disassembled the earcups, removed the flat cable, and wired them so that tip is positive on L and R. I connected ring and shield together for ground. That way any standard cable that is wired with tip positive and either ring or shield ground will work. Hope fhat all makes sense.
Worked perfectly, thank you!

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,139 of 1,500

IMG_20210606_121223.jpg

Thats a pretty cute woofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back