Avantone : Pro Planar
Aug 4, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,141 of 1,500
I had the chance to compare the Avantone Planar with the Audeze LCD-X again, and the new LCD-X 2021. I posted my thoughts a few days ago on another website but went to give these 3 headphones another test and still conclude my thoughts to be the same. Here I go.

Avantone Planar Vs LCD-X ( not 2021 version )

Low end

Sub. I hear a similar extension between the two. Though the LCD-X seems to rumble just a touch more, the Avantone Planar has more detail and transients while also sounding more textured to my ears.

Mid bass: Both are very similar, if maybe, I hear a touch more impact on the Avantone Planar. Again the Planar sounds faster and more detailed and also more accurate.

Mids.

Low mids. The Avantone and LCD-X are again, similar here. I do feel the Avantone has slightly fuller low mids, guitar strums and male vocals sound more realistic while also guitar strums carry more weight and is much easier to tell the difference between strings. The LCD-X doesnt sound bad, but lacks this natural clarity the Planar has.

High mids. As you all may know, the LCD-X has a big dip here. Without EQ it sounds off and lacks clarity. The Avantone Planar is much much better here, while tuned not brightly or forcefully energetic. I wouldn't call it a dark tuning, the LCD-X is dark here. The Planar sounds much more correct and clearer here, I also am hearing overall more detail. Realism is better on the Planar.

Treble. The Planar has a touch more energy where as the LCD-X lacks some energy. The big difference is after 10k where the LCD-X picks up a boost, it can sound a bit peaky and unnatural. But I do feel and hear the Avantone Planar, while not as bright after 10k to have more extension in the higher frequenices. So I feel and hear more air, this gives off a big sounding soundstage and I do feel the soundstage to be bigger on the Avantone Planar in all directions.

Imaging. LCD-X is good. But not great. That dip causes some fuzziness with some vocals and instruments. The Avantone Planar for me wins here being very very accurate and pinpoint.

Dynamics. Surprisingly very close. But I can hear finner details and quite passages a bit more clearly on the Avantone Planar.

With EQ the LCD-X can be fixed, but if you put EQ on the Planar. It becomes a whole different beast. You can use the Planar perfectly with no EQ. The LCD-X needs it

Avantone Planar Vs Audeze LCD-X 2021.

Low end. Again I hear a very similar bass response. The Audeze LCD-X 2021 seems to improve its quality. I hear better separation between sub and mid bass. But I still feel the Planar does a slightly better job here also having faster transients. But the LCD-X has just a touch more mid bass impact. Detail also goes to the Planar just by a slight margin.

Low mids, very very similar findings. Both are equally as good, maybe the LCD-X is just slightly more even sounding (smoother) but the Planar again, has that fuller feel to it. I also do hear a touch more detail on the Planar.

High mids. Audeze has done a much better job hear. Yet its a warmer/darker tuning compared to the Avantone Planar. For me, the Avantone Planar is my pick. It has the right amount of energy without being forceful. Detail is very similar between the two though the Planar has the slight edge, though this could be because of tuning. The LCD-X is still very good though just a touch to warm (polite) for me.

Treble. The LCD-X has a touch more energy here after 10k again. I personally find the Planar to have the treble spot on. Though the LCD-X needs just that touch more treble energy to help the warmer tuning of the high mids. If the LCD-X 2021 had the same amount of treble energy as the Avantone Planar, it would be a very warm dull sounding headphone. Both headphones have great treble detail though the LCD-X 2021 seems to be improved here. Both have a similar air feel but the LCD-X 2021 sounds a bit too airy, this could be maybe due the warmer tuning of the high mids making the balance sound a little off. Extension is about the same between the two

Soundstage and imaging. I find the soundstage of the LCD-X 2021 much much more similar now to the Avantone Planar. I feel the LCD-X 2021 has a touch more height but the Avantone Planar has a bit more width. Depth is about the same but I feel the Planar has the slight edge. Forward imaging is a draw and they both can give that behind your head feel aswell. Imaging would be a draw. They both are pin point accurate.

Dynamics is tricky. Depending in genre and songs. The LCD-X 2021 would sometimes have a slight edge but then the Avantone Planar would have a slight edge on others. Though I did feel the Avantones transients helped dynamics have this very snappy and fast feel in which when hard impacts of drums would happen, I could really feel them. So the Planar felt a bit more realistic.

Detail, its very close. But the Planar for me still has the slight edge.

I could see some people prefering the LCD-X 2021 due to the warmer higher mids-low treble. But the both equally put up a fight.

Though price to performance. The Avantone Planar is a BEAST. With EQ both headphones are amazing. Only reason I would get myself the LCD-X is for the build. It is better than the Avantone Planar. Much much more tank like and sturdy. But if you purely are looking for sound quality and big bang for your buck. Its a no brainer. The Avantone Planar is high up there with some of the best. And can easily be end game for some. I absolutely love them 😁. Obviously this is my impressions and we all may have different experiences. But yes, I do feel the Avantone Planar performs at a high level.

Gear used is SMSL SH-9 paired with SMSL M500 V2. Samsung S21 Ultra running UAPP

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #1,142 of 1,500
Heres my updated EQ profile for the Avantone Planar. I was looking at Oratorys graph and noticed after EQ there was still a dip at 3.8khz. I decided to fix that 😊👍. Sounding damn good now. For anyone wanting more low end, low shelf at 70hz with 4.0 db should be more than enough.

Quick update.
The EQ under is my final EQ. I don't feel the need to do any more tweaks at all. This unlocks full potential of the Avantone Planar.

I do give alot of praise to Oratory as I only tweaked his eq slightly. But I personally do feel that this EQ is the final touch. Happy listening 😊 and enjoy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210808-022518_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-022518_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,143 of 1,500
Quick update. The EQ above I'd rec highly. Can't believe how much of a difference adding the 3.8khz fix did. And all this time I did not have it. And 4db at 70hz is perfect. I personally would not go any higher. But yes that 3.8khz is a must. The amount of clarity it just added is mind blowing 😍

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,144 of 1,500
Quick update. The EQ above I'd rec highly. Can't believe how much of a difference adding the 3.8khz fix did. And all this time I did not have it. And 4db at 70hz is perfect. I personally would not go any higher. But yes that 3.8khz is a must. The amount of clarity it just added is mind blowing 😍
Would it be possible to find an equivalent Equalizer APO config file for this? (A complete noob at EQ)...one hour later:

Hardstyle Loco's Setting

Device: all
Channel: all
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 70 Hz Gain 4 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1145 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.4
Filter 3: ON HSC Fc 1400 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 3
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4490 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 5
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6150 Hz Gain -0.5 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 8
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 10
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1.4

Also the Outdated AutoEQ EQ file: OREQ
And Oratory's Updated Version:

Channel: ALL
Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 1145 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON HSC Fc 1400 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 0.71

Attachments

• peace.txt
    463 bytes · Views: 0
  • OREQ.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • OratoryEQUpdated.txt
    382 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,145 of 1,500
Would it be possible to find an equivalent Equalizer APO config file for this? (A complete noob at EQ)...one hour later:

Hardstyle Loco's Setting

Channel: all
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 70 Hz Gain 4 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1145 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.4
Filter 3: ON HSC Fc 1400 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 10
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1.4

Also the Outdated AutoEQ EQ file: OREQ
And Oratory's Updated Version:

Channel: ALL
Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 1145 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON HSC Fc 1400 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 0.71
Honestly I think I'm happiest with the Updated Oratory EQ and adding the BS2BR VST Plugin (on Meier Crossfeed preset) - bass is more diffused, better clarity than stock, and a pretty, natural timbre

Link to VST: https://resonic.at/tools/bs2br
Steps:
1) Download in the Equalizer APO VST folder
2) Press + in Equalizer APO Configuration Editor => Plugins => VST Plugins
3) Find BS2BR file
4) Use - crossfeed settings are only adjustable when sliding presets far left to none

Would love to hear others' opinions

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #1,146 of 1,500
Honestly I think I'm happiest with the Updated Oratory EQ and adding the BS2BR VST Plugin (on Meier Crossfeed preset) - bass is more diffused, better clarity than stock, and a pretty, natural timbre

Link to VST: https://resonic.at/tools/bs2br
Steps:
1) Download in the Equalizer APO VST folder
2) Press + in Equalizer APO Configuration Editor => Plugins => VST Plugins
3) Find BS2BR file
4) Use - crossfeed settings are only adjustable when sliding presets far left to none

Would love to hear others' opinions
Thanks for this. I find Oratorys eq settings good. But personally, the low end sounded bloated with some test tracks I listened to. That's why I moved it to 70hz and made it 4db but I also personally prefer a more neutral low end. The other tweak was if you look at Oratorys graphing of the Avantone Planar. Theres a dip at 3800 that shouldn't be there at all. The 9khz edit wasn't my idea. @mobbaddict suggested it and I found it to work and sound good 😊. I also liked a bit more air in the treble which is why instead of -5db I left it at -3. But its great that you found something you like and enjoy. Happy listening 😊👍

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #1,147 of 1,500
I had the chance to compare the Avantone Planar with the Audeze LCD-X again, and the new LCD-X 2021. I posted my thoughts a few days ago on another website but went to give these 3 headphones another test and still conclude my thoughts to be the same. Here I go.

Avantone Planar Vs LCD-X ( not 2021 version )

Low end

Sub. I hear a similar extension between the two. Though the LCD-X seems to rumble just a touch more, the Avantone Planar has more detail and transients while also sounding more textured to my ears.

Mid bass: Both are very similar, if maybe, I hear a touch more impact on the Avantone Planar. Again the Planar sounds faster and more detailed and also more accurate.

Mids.

Low mids. The Avantone and LCD-X are again, similar here. I do feel the Avantone has slightly fuller low mids, guitar strums and male vocals sound more realistic while also guitar strums carry more weight and is much easier to tell the difference between strings. The LCD-X doesnt sound bad, but lacks this natural clarity the Planar has.

High mids. As you all may know, the LCD-X has a big dip here. Without EQ it sounds off and lacks clarity. The Avantone Planar is much much better here, while tuned not brightly or forcefully energetic. I wouldn't call it a dark tuning, the LCD-X is dark here. The Planar sounds much more correct and clearer here, I also am hearing overall more detail. Realism is better on the Planar.

Treble. The Planar has a touch more energy where as the LCD-X lacks some energy. The big difference is after 10k where the LCD-X picks up a boost, it can sound a bit peaky and unnatural. But I do feel and hear the Avantone Planar, while not as bright after 10k to have more extension in the higher frequenices. So I feel and hear more air, this gives off a big sounding soundstage and I do feel the soundstage to be bigger on the Avantone Planar in all directions.

Imaging. LCD-X is good. But not great. That dip causes some fuzziness with some vocals and instruments. The Avantone Planar for me wins here being very very accurate and pinpoint.

Dynamics. Surprisingly very close. But I can hear finner details and quite passages a bit more clearly on the Avantone Planar.

With EQ the LCD-X can be fixed, but if you put EQ on the Planar. It becomes a whole different beast. You can use the Planar perfectly with no EQ. The LCD-X needs it

Avantone Planar Vs Audeze LCD-X 2021.

Low end. Again I hear a very similar bass response. The Audeze LCD-X 2021 seems to improve its quality. I hear better separation between sub and mid bass. But I still feel the Planar does a slightly better job here also having faster transients. But the LCD-X has just a touch more mid bass impact. Detail also goes to the Planar just by a slight margin.

Low mids, very very similar findings. Both are equally as good, maybe the LCD-X is just slightly more even sounding (smoother) but the Planar again, has that fuller feel to it. I also do hear a touch more detail on the Planar.

High mids. Audeze has done a much better job hear. Yet its a warmer/darker tuning compared to the Avantone Planar. For me, the Avantone Planar is my pick. It has the right amount of energy without being forceful. Detail is very similar between the two though the Planar has the slight edge, though this could be because of tuning. The LCD-X is still very good though just a touch to warm (polite) for me.

Treble. The LCD-X has a touch more energy here after 10k again. I personally find the Planar to have the treble spot on. Though the LCD-X needs just that touch more treble energy to help the warmer tuning of the high mids. If the LCD-X 2021 had the same amount of treble energy as the Avantone Planar, it would be a very warm dull sounding headphone. Both headphones have great treble detail though the LCD-X 2021 seems to be improved here. Both have a similar air feel but the LCD-X 2021 sounds a bit too airy, this could be maybe due the warmer tuning of the high mids making the balance sound a little off. Extension is about the same between the two

Soundstage and imaging. I find the soundstage of the LCD-X 2021 much much more similar now to the Avantone Planar. I feel the LCD-X 2021 has a touch more height but the Avantone Planar has a bit more width. Depth is about the same but I feel the Planar has the slight edge. Forward imaging is a draw and they both can give that behind your head feel aswell. Imaging would be a draw. They both are pin point accurate.

Dynamics is tricky. Depending in genre and songs. The LCD-X 2021 would sometimes have a slight edge but then the Avantone Planar would have a slight edge on others. Though I did feel the Avantones transients helped dynamics have this very snappy and fast feel in which when hard impacts of drums would happen, I could really feel them. So the Planar felt a bit more realistic.

Detail, its very close. But the Planar for me still has the slight edge.

I could see some people prefering the LCD-X 2021 due to the warmer higher mids-low treble. But the both equally put up a fight.

Though price to performance. The Avantone Planar is a BEAST. With EQ both headphones are amazing. Only reason I would get myself the LCD-X is for the build. It is better than the Avantone Planar. Much much more tank like and sturdy. But if you purely are looking for sound quality and big bang for your buck. Its a no brainer. The Avantone Planar is high up there with some of the best. And can easily be end game for some. I absolutely love them 😁. Obviously this is my impressions and we all may have different experiences. But yes, I do feel the Avantone Planar performs at a high level.

Gear used is SMSL SH-9 paired with SMSL M500 V2. Samsung S21 Ultra running UAPP
This is intriguing to me since I heard a pair of 2021 Audeze LCD-Xs recently. As with almost all the headphones I've used thus far, I had EQ'd out some of its quirks (push up around 4khz and 6khz by around 3db each and add a little bass shelf at around 80hz). After these changes I actually believe it's phenomenal, even for its price. Fast bass with a lot of resolution, mids and highs have strong micro-detail with excellent micro and macro-dynamics thru the range. I think the one drawback I found was the timbre was just okay and soundstage wasn't gigantic but still decent.

Now I have to go hunt down an Avantone Planar, if we hear things at least somewhat similarly. I think a pal of mine owns one, time to bug him...

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,148 of 1,500
This is intriguing to me since I heard a pair of 2021 Audeze LCD-Xs recently. As with almost all the headphones I've used thus far, I had EQ'd out some of its quirks (push up around 4khz and 6khz by around 3db each and add a little bass shelf at around 80hz). After these changes I actually believe it's phenomenal, even for its price. Fast bass with a lot of resolution, mids and highs have strong micro-detail with excellent micro and macro-dynamics thru the range. I think the one drawback I found was the timbre was just okay and soundstage wasn't gigantic but still decent.

Now I have to go hunt down an Avantone Planar, if we hear things at least somewhat similarly. I think a pal of mine owns one, time to bug him...
With eq the LCD-X 2021 is stellar. Don't get me wrong, it's a great headphone and I truly do enjoy listening to it. But I do feel technicalities, the Avantone Planar is on par. While I felt the previous LCD-X was good, but tonality was lacking a huge amount due to the poor tuning and seriously needed eq to shine and I also felt technicalities, the Planar was ahead. So this shows Audeze has improved their LCD-X but its a big achievement for Avantone that the Planar puts up a fight and delivers serious blows to the LCD-X 2021. What would be extremely impressive would be if Avantone were to up their game in build quality. If they made a Planar V2 with improved tuning, improved technicalities and much much much more tank like while still being reasonably weighted. It would be a headphone to put many others to shame

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,149 of 1,500
Has anyone had any experience with Avantone's Technical Support? I submitted a ticket a week ago (regarding the parts holding the headband to the cups breaking off) but haven't heard back 🤔

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,150 of 1,500
Has anyone had any experience with Avantone's Technical Support? I submitted a ticket a week ago (regarding the parts holding the headband to the cups breaking off) but haven't heard back 🤔
I had a problem and they replied to me the next day. They're definitely slow with communication and it took about a month total before I got a new pair in the mail.

Try messaging again?

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,151 of 1,500
Avantone customer service was poor in my experience. I also needed the screw assemblies that hold the headband and driver assembly to the frame and was repeatedly told they were sending them but they never did. They claimed to have sent me several emails to confirm what i needed even though there is only one possible part assembly like this that is used on the phones. I never received an email unless I stayed on the phone with them to finally confirm the email and still got no parts. I was told I would receive them when they arrived from China and then that they would remove a pair from a headphone and send them to me. Never got anything. And then one day a new pair of phones were delivered to me with no notice they were coming. This process took at least two months. I still have my broken phones as Avantone never sent me a return shipping label after I contacted them three times and was promised a return shipping label. I contacted them one last time and told them I still didn't have a return label and I wasn't going to contact them again. Nothing ever happened so the broken phones are still here in the box. Guess they have enough business in the pro audio sector to ignore the home audio customers.

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,152 of 1,500
They told me that only the first batch had plastic straps.. the current Avantone Planar have metal straps.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,153 of 1,500
Is it okay to store the headphones with their cable plugged in or should I always remove the cable before putting them in their case?

I've had mine for about a week and am very impressed by the sound. I am a little concerned about the headband attachment being a little fragile but so far have had no issues.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,154 of 1,500
Ah it was caught in my Spam folder - would need to ship it to them in NY, but they would cover the shipping back. From their response it seems that carrying headphones by the headstrap = user error but maybe I missed that from the manual 😅 - metal straps connecting the headband to earcup are also prone to the same issue (had a pair before this)

Storing the cable plugged in should be fine (the main concern is damaging the cable actually - the sockets can take a beating). I would personally remove it for transport.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,155 of 1,500
I confirm that my Avantone Pro Planar also came with the plastic straps. This headset has a beautiful sound, however it can be delicate and break the straps. I add that the right speaker tends to unscrew. I ask those who have the new model with the metal strap to communicate the serial number (even if not complete for confidentiality). My serial number 4??:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back