Avantone : Pro Planar
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #1,456 of 1,500
Welllllllll. That explains QUITE A LOT.

So it would be more accurate to say that the driver is capable of low frequency information when properly modded.
Yes, driver can handle it
Infrasonics DO push it to the limit, but unless you're one to drop 4k on a 106mm driver (which realistically won't be much better) you'd be hard pressed to find something with this performance for the price

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #1,461 of 1,500
I don’t have the 2 or the 2C but the X and XC are such a big jump up from the Planar they aren’t in the same class. The tonality will probably be the most similar in the XC21. I'm absolutely wrong on that front. I think it's funny that I perceive them as being more neutral or Harmanish.

According to diyaudioheaven, the MX4 and 2C are the closest. I really don't agree and I've owned 3 MX4s (which look more visually similar to me). I'd love to graph mine on EARS or 711 board except I haven't gotten a replacement for the broken Avantone headband yet. I like the Planar, I think it's worlds ahead of planars in its price bracket if you want a warm & dark signature without much imaging – it's Audeze sound with HiFiMan pricing. They are what the LCD1 should have been.

Source: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2023/11/compare-planar.gif

1700580087611.png

1700580110370.png

1700580140384.png

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #1,462 of 1,500
Hey due to the weird wiring on the avantone I was wondering if a standard 6.35mm to dual 3.55mm single ended cable would work. Like one of those youkamoo cables for instance. Thanks!
It won't make a balanced connection, if that is what you are trying to achieve. For that you would need a TRRS 4.4mm connector, and to modify the headphones by disconnecting the common ground (red wire, IIRC) from one or both sides.

I'm not sure why you would want to use a splitter cable for a single-ended connection; that doesn't make sense.

I find it helpful to understand the reason for the L and R inputs on the Avantone Pro - imagine a mix engineer and an artist sitting side-by-side in front of a mixing console. The cable you describe would be used for a single output from the console to be shared by two sets of headphones.

Hope that helps.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #1,463 of 1,500
i found most audezes shouty in the upper mids. thats why i sold all of them besides an LCD-i3. Specially the XC was so shouty i couldnt stand them for long. Also i found Audezes soundstages claustrophobic and 2d. maybe its my earshape, as many praise them for this. but even my lcd-i3 sound completely located inside my head.

Soundstage depth and layering are exceptional on the pro planars. the only planars i heard that do a better job in imaging are the T+A Solitair P for 10x the price. but they shrink instruments to toy size, which the avantone dont do.

As i found every single hifiman too bright and thin to be natural sounding, i never did any comparisons. Oppo PM1 and 2 are better in detail retrieval and overall have slightly more realistic timbre, but they´re claustrophic in comparison.

People looking for overdone treble (aka treble shimmer lovers) and/or friends of excessive upper mids (Kpop, Asian tuning or Audeze lovers) and finally bassheads might miss something unless they dont use eq. But everyone looking for natural sound without spikes and peaks should immediatly give the avatone a try.

Every once in a while i think i need an upgrade, but than i listen to them and couldnt imagine a single headphone that i would consider an upgrade. I am not into details, not into treble and not into big bold bass. i mostly listen to music that has no vocals, so there is that. most important to me is neutrality, soundstage depth and layering. I couldnt care less about soundstage width tho.

The only thing i might like better than stock would be about 3db louder from 60hz down to 30hz. Eq is not an option for me, so i came back to the thread for all the great modding ideas and it seems that perforated pads could do the trick. sadly there is no chance of getting the Acoustic Research AR-HA1 pads you suggested in germany. which pads would you suggest instead and more so how do you attach them?
Looking forward to your ideas.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #1,464 of 1,500
i found most audezes shouty in the upper mids. thats why i sold all of them besides an LCD-i3. Specially the XC was so shouty i couldnt stand them for long. Also i found Audezes soundstages claustrophobic and 2d. maybe its my earshape, as many praise them for this. but even my lcd-i3 sound completely located inside my head.

Soundstage depth and layering are exceptional on the pro planars. the only planars i heard that do a better job in imaging are the T+A Solitair P for 10x the price. but they shrink instruments to toy size, which the avantone dont do.

As i found every single hifiman too bright and thin to be natural sounding, i never did any comparisons. Oppo PM1 and 2 are better in detail retrieval and overall have slightly more realistic timbre, but they´re claustrophic in comparison.

People looking for overdone treble (aka treble shimmer lovers) and/or friends of excessive upper mids (Kpop, Asian tuning or Audeze lovers) and finally bassheads might miss something unless they dont use eq. But everyone looking for natural sound without spikes and peaks should immediatly give the avatone a try.

Every once in a while i think i need an upgrade, but than i listen to them and couldnt imagine a single headphone that i would consider an upgrade. I am not into details, not into treble and not into big bold bass. i mostly listen to music that has no vocals, so there is that. most important to me is neutrality, soundstage depth and layering. I couldnt care less about soundstage width tho.

The only thing i might like better than stock would be about 3db louder from 60hz down to 30hz. Eq is not an option for me, so i came back to the thread for all the great modding ideas and it seems that perforated pads could do the trick. sadly there is no chance of getting the Acoustic Research AR-HA1 pads you suggested in germany. which pads would you suggest instead and more so how do you attach them?
Looking forward to your ideas.
Why is EQ not an option?

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,465 of 1,500
He may be using a streamer or something like a CD player or phono. I guess he could try to find a EQ module, like the loki from Schiit, but those are usually pricey and I’ve read that they induce potentially negative sound qualities. I would either purchase pads from vesper audio which are fully customizable but expensive or zmf pads which aren’t customizable but cheaper. (still expensive) Also on a side note wanted to say fog audio city sells a balanced cable specifically wired and made for the avantone pro planar, not sure if it works but wanted to put it out here.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #1,468 of 1,500
You can cut the flat wire that connects the two earcups together and then you will be truly running balanced as long as you use the A/T R70X cable. You can pull the cut cable out of the headband. Anyone can run balanced by cutting the flat wire but you will then have to have a cable like the one for the A/T R70X where the left channel 3.5mm connector is wired tip positive and sleeve ground. The right channel 3.5mm connector has to be wired ring positive and sleeve ground. Once you cut the flat wire you won't be able to use the stock cables or any standard cable but only one wired as described above and you can't reverse the connections on the earcups.

In order to use a standard cable you would have to disassemble the earcups and change the stock wiring. On my Planars I disassembled the earcups, removed the flat cable, and wired them so that tip is positive on L and R. I connected ring and shield together for ground. That way any standard cable that is wired with tip positive and either ring or shield ground will work. Hope that all makes sense.
Hello,
Please first excuse my english, I'm french.

I would like to build an unbalanced cable with Mogami quad 2893.
Option 1: Jack TRS 6.35 to 1*Jack TRS 3.5
Option 2: Jack TRS 6.35 to 2*Jack TRS 3.5 (right and left channel separate)

Is option 2 better than option 1 for an unbalanced cable?
Is it necessary to cut the flat wire for an unbalanced cable?

Thanks, regards.

Dec 3, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #1,469 of 1,500
Hello,
Please first excuse my english, I'm french.

I would like to build an unbalanced cable with Mogami quad 2893.
Option 1: Jack TRS 6.35 to 1*Jack TRS 3.5
Option 2: Jack TRS 6.35 to 2*Jack TRS 3.5 (right and left channel separate)

Is option 2 better than option 1 for an unbalanced cable?
Is it necessary to cut the flat wire for an unbalanced cable?

Thanks, regards.
I would go with the 6.35mm to single 3.5mm as you wouldn't need to rewire the planar. For option 2 you would need to rewire the headphones. You could maybe do option 2 without rewiring but you'd need each 3.5mm have a L and R. You can also email someone at Avantone, Seth I believe, and they should respond quick and help you with the wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back