Avantone : Pro Planar
Apr 3, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,037 of 1,500
EASY HEADBAND MOD THAT MAKES THE PLANAR MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE
I love the sound from these headphones and intend to keep them. But they have a of couple minor construction flaws that if they are fixed, makes the headphones very comfy. The major flaw as I see it is the protruding bump at the middle/top of the headband, right where many heads also protrude a bit. This makes my head ake after about 45 minutes of listening and I have heard others complain about this too. Quite annoying so I decided to fix it and found a material that gives enough support and have just the right softness to permit a free bloodflow. It is a synthetic sheep wool material of about 1 cm thickness that IKEA sells under the name ”Toftlund”, product nr 204.202.41. It cost just around 8 $. If your IKEA does not have it you at least get an idea of what kind of material that works. I have also tried a couple ground sheet/camping mattrasses but they where a bit too hard.

To help you make your own I posted a photos and measurements that I hope is self explanatory. It takes just some measurements and scissor cutting plus putting on some straps of double sided adhesive tape. If you live in Sweden you find the tape at Biltema store.
I got no pain or even sense of coming pain after 2 hours of use. Quite content to say the least.

Note: - They look thick but when on the head they get compressed to about 1 cm. - On the montage photo they are a bit loose since they are not yet installed with the adhesive tape. - The empty space at the top, between the pads, is to help prevent contact between the bump and the top part of the head.
Avantone Pro Planar Headband and Headbandpads montage.jpg
Avantone Pro Planar Headband and Headbandpads.jpg
Avantone Pro Planar Headband material.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,041 of 1,500
This is one of my candidates, but I think the width is a tight fit? I was thinking about the Pelican case lul, but I don't know whether there is one similar to the material on the dt1990.
It’s not uncomfortably tight. Snug is a better word. I can’t offer much more guidance on this topic though because I personally don’t own a case for my headphone. @trellus owns several and let me test the fit with my Planar.

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,042 of 1,500
Everybody, today I mailed my Planar to No Theme Reviews and it should make it to his hands by Wednesday next week. Hopefully, he can grant valuable insight into the quality of my modifications. The only other person who has heard my mods has been @trellus and his opinion is that the headphone sounds clear and natural but he doesn't own a pair which makes it hard to accurately judge.

I'm prepared to hear whatever praises or criticisms that No Theme has to offer.

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #1,043 of 1,500
Everybody, today I mailed my Planar to No Theme Reviews and it should make it to his hands by Wednesday next week. Hopefully, he can grant valuable insight into the quality of my modifications. The only other person who has heard my mods has been @trellus and his opinion is that the headphone sounds clear and natural but he doesn't own a pair which makes it hard to accurately judge.

I'm prepared to hear whatever praises or criticisms that No Theme has to offer.
I have been really appreciate his opinion and honesty. Let us see what would he say! And good job, man!
I also kinda want to see how would DMS or Joshua react to this one as well. The Planar deserves better than only few people know about it. If we can hover some Internet lights on it, maybe we can see a new model sooner.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,044 of 1,500
Decided to take a chance on these after thinking about buying a pair for a while. I hesitated because there seemed to be a high number of QC issues based on reading this thread. Well, they just arrived...and the right driver cuts out when moved. I have to say that they do sound very good even straight out of the box, but it's hard to do a detailed evaluation given the driver issue. Overall design seems a little clunky. The metal headband transfers too much vibration, the earpads could use improvement. Obviously this pair is going back and I'm pretty on the fence right now about whether to do an exchange for another pair or a straight return. I'm leaning toward a straight return. I think Avantone is on to something with these, they sound good, but the QC issues need to be fixed and the design needs some refinement.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #1,045 of 1,500
Decided to take a chance on these after thinking about buying a pair for a while. I hesitated because there seemed to be a high number of QC issues based on reading this thread. Well, they just arrived...and the right driver cuts out when moved. I have to say that they do sound very good even straight out of the box, but it's hard to do a detailed evaluation given the driver issue. Overall design seems a little clunky. The metal headband transfers too much vibration, the earpads could use improvement. Obviously this pair is going back and I'm pretty on the fence right now about whether to do an exchange for another pair or a straight return. I'm leaning toward a straight return. I think Avantone is on to something with these, they sound good, but the QC issues need to be fixed and the design needs some refinement.
I hesitated also at first but now, after having had them for a few weeks, they are a certain keeper. I have compared them with Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic T1 and others a lot more expensive, and they don´t stand a chance. The Avantone is much more balanced, musical and refined in its reproduction.
I have made two mods though of the construction and are now quite content. If you check further up on this page you see photos and instructions on the most important mod and on page 61 you find the first minor mod plus my review. Both cost just a few dollars each.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,046 of 1,500
Glad you like the sound but the QC seems to be a real problem. But tbh, mathematically speaking, because not very many ppl buying it, probably 10 at most in this thread? So the percentage of QC issues feels pretty bad. But based on my experience, I tried one in a store and got mine in B&H, none of two has any issues reported in this thread, except for the little bump thingy. So it is really a matter of luckiness tbh. Personally, I think unluckiness could be solved by replacements, but the bad sound of cans just not something I willing to bear.

And I think we really wish Avantone could push it forward, the true slayer: Same driver, Oval earpads, modular design like Senheisers, simpler mechanisms, and with a carry case, with a proper advertisement, def killing all those "high end" and overpriced headphone.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,047 of 1,500
Have you ensured that the 3.5mm jack is completely plugged in all the way? Some others have mentioned their failure to properly insert the jack and it creates driver imbalance issues.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,049 of 1,500
I hesitated also at first but now, after having had them for a few weeks, they are a certain keeper. I have compared them with Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic T1 and others a lot more expensive, and they don´t stand a chance. The Avantone is much more balanced, musical and refined in its reproduction.
I have made two mods though of the construction and are now quite content. If you check further up on this page you see photos and instructions on the most important mod and on page 61 you find the first minor mod plus my review. Both cost just a few dollars each.

They do seem very balanced and musical, I'll give you that.
Glad you like the sound but the QC seems to be a real problem. But tbh, mathematically speaking, because not very many ppl buying it, probably 10 at most in this thread? So the percentage of QC issues feels pretty bad. But based on my experience, I tried one in a store and got mine in B&H, none of two has any issues reported in this thread, except for the little bump thingy. So it is really a matter of luckiness tbh. Personally, I think unluckiness could be solved by replacements, but the bad sound of cans just not something I willing to bear.

And I think we really wish Avantone could push it forward, the true slayer: Same driver, Oval earpads, modular design like Senheisers, simpler mechanisms, and with a carry case, with a proper advertisement, def killing all those "high end" and overpriced headphone.

Yeah it's hard to gauge how bad the QC issues are from the relatively small number of users here, but I think it does indicate potential issues to be wary of at the very least. Judging from my brief and imperfect listening so far they definitely compete on sound quality.

Have you ensured that the 3.5mm jack is completely plugged in all the way? Some others have mentioned their failure to properly insert the jack and it creates driver imbalance issues.

Yes, I did check that. I tried multiple single entry cables in both sides of the headphone and I tried the dual entry cable that came with them, assuring they were all fully inserted. The issue remained the same.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,050 of 1,500
Yes, I did check that. I tried multiple single entry cables in both sides of the headphone and I tried the dual entry cable that came with them, assuring they were all fully inserted. The issue remained the same.
Odd. I wonder what might be the issue. I would get a replacement. Avantone has been very helpful (at least to me) regarding these issues in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back