Avantone : Pro Planar
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #1,067 of 1,500
Thanks @Heldaeus - I just checked and found something.
@HardstyleLoco96 does the last image on this post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/avantone-pro-planer.941951/post-16154591) apply to Peace?
That EQ is a little old. I've updated it since. Here is my updated EQ 😊. I find alot of other EQ make the low end way to muddy. I prefer the sub bass to be elevated while completely leaving mid bass out of it. It creates to much melding and with bass heavy music, honestly does not sound great. Oratorys original eq had this problem. I've tweaked it a bit to fix the melding but while still enhancing the low end. For me this EQ I've made helps fill out the low end but all makes the overall sound just that bit more complete.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210407-135321_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20210407-135321_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,072 of 1,500
A couple of days ago No Theme replied to me with some good news about my mods. Here are his *brief* comments:
I hope you're doing well. I had a chance to listen to your headphones for a bit yesterday and today...to say that I'm very surprised would be an understatement. I have no idea how you concocted this mod, but you've done a stellar job. The sub-bass seems to have a slight lift--though I think it is probably still a bit rolled-off--and mid-bass appears to have a tighter, more energetic presentation. I think vocals sound a bit more intimate than on the stock variation, but I haven't really done a thorough A/B test to say for sure.

I was a bit skeptical about Vesper earpads, but boy are they comfy!

I must emphasize how thoughtful your mods are. You even skinned the stock cable--lo and behold, there's actually a really nice cable underneath that ridiculous kevlar sheath!

If you're considering providing mods for people, let me know. I'll be plenty happy to direct to your website or other contact info.

I'll email you the video link once it's done--probably in the next 1-2 weeks.
And soon after he replied again with this message:
BTW, your mod has tempted me to buy another pair of the Planar just to do the mod on. I've gone through the Headfi posts and read some of the mods you described. Did you happen to make a video? If not, do you have a detailed step-by-step process, including all the materials you sourced?

I'm ecstatic, to say the least! I hope you guys find this interesting.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,074 of 1,500
I have an idea for a mod.

Improving the rear grill by enlarging the vent hole volume.

I think this may fix the sub bass roll-off. Because though my pad seal mod has really improved that roll-off I think the drop that still exists is due to the metal grill.

The reason why I believe this is because I experimented with covering the grill with electrical tape and that basically killed the bass performance. Almost no sub or mid at all. So, I think the inverse of this would be to increase the vent volume of the grills.

Maybe this is the key to finally linearizing this headphone below 30Hz!

What do you guys think?

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,075 of 1,500

I think this may fix the sub bass roll-off. Because though my pad seal mod has really improved that roll-off I think the drop that still exists is due to the metal grill.

The reason why I believe this is because I experimented with covering the grill with electrical tape and that basically killed the bass performance. Almost no sub or mid at all. So, I think the inverse of this would be to increase the vent volume of the grills.

What do you guys think?
So how are gonna do it? CNC the cover plate with metal? And your theory reminds me of the grill design on the Arya, its grill has a very large gap between as well.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,076 of 1,500
So how are gonna do it? CNC the cover plate with metal? And your theory reminds me of the grill design on the Arya, its grill has a very large gap between as well.
I could use a dremel or I could CNC. I already have an idea for the shape. I also think a larger rectangular hole in the center of the grill would just look cool.

Plus I actually have two extra grills from my original Planar that broke, I could use these instead of the newer ones that are currently on my main Planar.

Apr 22, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,077 of 1,500
Is it me, or does anyone feel the more you use the Planar, the better they keep sounding? I honestly gave myself a break from them and used my other headphones and iems for a bit. Once I went back to the Planars. My ears felt like a massive veil was lifted. The amount of air and clarity I heard and felt was impressive. This could be the EQ I am using but damn. I wish a few other headphones could give me this feeling. It's effortless. I'll be trying a few TOTL headphones today. I really want to see what can impress me. The Meze Empyrean was a headphone I've been eyeing for a while but going back and forth from the Planar and Empyrean. I don't it's worth the asking price. While the Empyrean is a velvety and very lusicious/smooth listening experience, my Ultrasone Edition 11 gives me that experience with more dynamics and honestly, better clarity. Not worth the price. Just shows, price does not mean better souding or quality.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #1,078 of 1,500

What do you guys think?
Are you talking about the honeycomb structure on the back of the earcups? I'm not sure how it could improve bass, the holes look already very large don't you think? To me the Avantone sounds super open already.

I'll be trying a few TOTL headphones today. I really want to see what can impress me.
That's the spirit mate haha! Try an Abyss or a Susvara and let us know what you think. I feel like anything below will be some kind of sidegrade. The thing with the Avantone is that they're really super smooth and inoffensive, so they will highlight any flaw of other headphones. Technically I think there are better headphones on the market but you will probably need to pay the price to hear a major difference. I'm taking a bit of a different path at the moment and exploring closed-back headphones, I got the Audeze Sine recently and I really dig it. Similar level of transparency in a more portable package, I like the simplicity of that philosophy.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,079 of 1,500
Are you talking about the honeycomb structure on the back of the earcups? I'm not sure how it could improve bass, the holes look already very large don't you think? To me the Avantone sounds super open already.

That's the spirit mate haha! Try an Abyss or a Susvara and let us know what you think. I feel like anything below will be some kind of sidegrade. The thing with the Avantone is that they're really super smooth and inoffensive, so they will highlight any flaw of other headphones. Technically I think there are better headphones on the market but you will probably need to pay the price to hear a major difference. I'm taking a bit of a different path at the moment and exploring closed-back headphones, I got the Audeze Sine recently and I really dig it. Similar level of transparency in a more portable package, I like the simplicity of that philosophy.
I have the Audeze Sine DX. I am using eq and they impress me more and more. Far better than the LCD-1 in my opinion. I just need to purchase some more comfy earpads. I also want a nice closed back but its hard to come across something that ticks all the boxes. I owned the Focal Elegia and while I loved it. After the Ultrasone Edition 11 and Avantone Planar. I need something that truly wows me. I am thinking maybe the Focal Celestee but I need to have a good listen of it. Down the rabit hole again haha.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,080 of 1,500
I have the Audeze Sine DX. I am using eq and they impress me more and more. Far better than the LCD-1 in my opinion. I just need to purchase some more comfy earpads. I also want a nice closed back but its hard to come across something that ticks all the boxes. I owned the Focal Elegia and while I loved it. After the Ultrasone Edition 11 and Avantone Planar. I need something that truly wows me. I am thinking maybe the Focal Celestee but I need to have a good listen of it. Down the rabit hole again haha.
I know, I think you gave me the idea of the Sine a few months ago when we talked about your Sine DX. For my tastes the Sine ticks all the boxes but I think you heard it? If you don't want to spend too much, have a look at the Monoprice M565C, I'm only reading good things about this one and it's dirty cheap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back