Avantone : Pro Planar
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #31 of 1,500
I sure did. He was comparing(more of a rant) mostly to the LCD1. Comparing to a higher-end hp would have helped better.
He already compared it to the Audeze LCD-X haha. He prefers the Planar.
The LCD1 is no comparison. In a recent video he said the Hifiman Sundara has a bigger soundstage. I can see why he said that, but in my testing, the Planar is much bigger and closer to the Hifiman Arya. In between the Ananda and Arya.

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #32 of 1,500
He already compared it to the Audeze LCD-X haha. He prefers the Planar.
The LCD1 is no comparison. In a recent video he said the Hifiman Sundara has a bigger soundstage. I can see why he said that, but in my testing, the Planar is much bigger and closer to the Hifiman Arya. In between the Ananda and Arya.
Would you say it's a step above from Arya? Can you post some pics of the black?

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #33 of 1,500
Would you say it's a step above from Arya? Can you post some pics of the black?
I wouldn't say a step above. Maybe the Arya has the wider soundstage from left to right, but the Planar feels to have a bit more depth. The front positioning I think also goes to the Arya while the Planar seems to be able to present more height. Imaging would go to the Arya but the Planar comes very close. I prefer the low end on the Planar, I feel more texture, feels more natural but also is faster than the Arya, the mids on the Arya are more detailed while mids on the Planar are fuller and have a bit more texture and emotion sounding a bit more natural. Clarity maybe goes to the Arya but not by much, though tuning I feel the Planar does a better job. Treble detail goes to Arya but tuning goes to the Planar. Dynamics I feel the Planar does a better job, it can slam extremely quickly with very good impact. Transience is equal. The Planar is a very very fast sounding headphone. So now considering price to performance? Planar wins for me. But the Arya is still one of my favourite headphones but the Planar is my pick.
20200930_201350.jpg
20200930_201436.jpg
20200930_201459.jpg
20200930_201524.jpg
20200930_201541.jpg

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #35 of 1,500
Not sure if this was mentioned, where are these made?

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #36 of 1,500
Interesting headphone. Thomann price is bit too much for an impulse buy (£399 is about $530). Can anyone measure these or loan their pair to a friend who could do it?
I asked Avantone CS for FR and I quote the response "we do not have frequency plots available yet. sorry". Not sure why a Pro company does not have them. The msrp is higher everywhere other than the US. In the UAE it is due for launch tomorrow priced at ~495$. Since this is going to be noticed by only very few reviewers, I assume it's going to be difficult to get the FR measured.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #37 of 1,500
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #38 of 1,500
I wouldn't say a step above. Maybe the Arya has the wider soundstage from left to right, but the Planar feels to have a bit more depth. The front positioning I think also goes to the Arya while the Planar seems to be able to present more height. Imaging would go to the Arya but the Planar comes very close. I prefer the low end on the Planar, I feel more texture, feels more natural but also is faster than the Arya, the mids on the Arya are more detailed while mids on the Planar are fuller and have a bit more texture and emotion sounding a bit more natural. Clarity maybe goes to the Arya but not by much, though tuning I feel the Planar does a better job. Treble detail goes to Arya but tuning goes to the Planar. Dynamics I feel the Planar does a better job, it can slam extremely quickly with very good impact. Transience is equal. The Planar is a very very fast sounding headphone. So now considering price to performance? Planar wins for me. But the Arya is still one of my favourite headphones but the Planar is my pick.
For 1/4th the price and a sturdy build, I think Pro Planar will be a fantastic buy. The only problem I foresee is the pad replacement and no pleather or leather. Thanks for the pics 😊

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #39 of 1,500
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #40 of 1,500
Could someone compare this with the Beyerdynamics DT 1990s? For example, in terms of detail retrieval? I would like a detailed headphones but I don't need anything as detailed as the other TOTLs. Something along the Beyerdynamics T90s or DT 1990s will be good enough.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #41 of 1,500
For 1/4th the price and a sturdy build, I think Pro Planar will be a fantastic buy. The only problem I foresee is the pad replacement and no pleather or leather. Thanks for the pics 😊
Pad replacement is already figured out haha. Acoustic Research ARH1 earpads will fit perfectly. You can find sheepskin leather version of the earpads. They just need some velcro to be added on them which is easy :). I think Avantone are working on making replacement earpads as well.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #42 of 1,500
Could someone compare this with the Beyerdynamics DT 1990s? For example, in terms of detail retrieval? I would like a detailed headphones but I don't need anything as detailed as the other TOTLs. Something along the Beyerdynamics T90s or DT 1990s will be good enough.
I used to own the DT 1990s 2 years ago. The Planars are on another level. Low end is more accurate and neutral, but the low end is faster, more detailed and has better separation between sub and mid bass. Mids are more neutral yet crystal clear, more natural, more detailed and have better thickness to them. The treble is more neutral as well yet having better accuracy, more extension and more detail. Soundstage is wider, has more depth and height while separation is more spaced out.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #44 of 1,500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back