Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #482 of 674
The LOD arrived half an hour after the '71A so it was plugged straight in.

You're right - big difference over the HO, loving it
smile_phones.gif

Problem is that the LOD needs burning in too...

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #483 of 674
I'm a few hours short of the 200 mark with mine now. I'll clear it over the weekend and probably report back after Rocky Mountain Audiofest
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #484 of 674
I mentioned it earlier but if anyone buys rechargeables be sure and pick up the Tysonic 200mA low discharge battery. To my ear it improves sound in all areas and is well worth the purchase even though I would like more mA's for longer run times. I have the 500mA Li-poly and while I get very long run times it doesn't sound as good as the low discharge Tysonic, which like the eneloop AAA, that I like, appears to have lower internal resistance which improves the power supply.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #485 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mentioned it earlier but if anyone buys rechargeables be sure and pick up the Tysonic 200mA low discharge battery. To my ear it improves sound in all areas and is well worth the purchase even though I would like more mA's for longer run times. I have the 500mA Li-poly and while I get very long run times it doesn't sound as good as the low discharge Tysonic, which like the eneloop AAA, that I like, appears to have lower internal resistance which improves the power supply.

How does the Tysonic sound compared to quality alkalines (Duracell, Ray-O-Vac Max, etc)?

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #486 of 674
To my the Tysonic sounds the best.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #488 of 674
The 200mA last just short of 24 hours and the 500mA about 2.5 days.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #489 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my the Tysonic sounds the best.

x2 to that. With these batteries, the sound seems to my ear to have more depth to it (in dynamic range and spatially). With the Ultra Low Self-Discharge batteries, the Blackbird takes a step closer to the sound from my Mapletree stationary tube amp - with a noticeable measure more of lushness, liquidity and openness than with my second favorite batteries for the BlackBird: MAHA 9.6V (230 mAh) rechargeables.

I'm actually glad to read the impression that the longer-lasting Lithium 9V's don't sound as good as the Tysonic ULSD batteries. Now I'm not tempted to stock up on yet another new type of battery, and especially a new charger.

With the BlackBird, my Yuin PK1's have never sounded so good in my work rig, and I notice that I'm firing up my stationary rigs less for short listening opportunities at home, since the BlackBird does such an ear-satisfying job of driving both of my full-size phones: an ALO-modded pair of SR225's and a pair of HD650's with Equinox HD650 cable - with a Grado 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter.

This is my first RSA amp, and it's been a top-notch and thoroughly enjoyable experience, from purchase and delivery through all aspects of this amp's product use ergonomics and sonic performance/listening enjoyment.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #490 of 674
hey jamat08 I was wondering if you have tried those TYSONIC 9V-200L 9V 200MAH LOW DISCHARGE NIMH BATTERY on the RSA Hornet and are they the best on that amp. I already have MAHA 9v 300mha that Ray sold me with the amp and also I picked up a I-power 9v LI-polymer and have tried durcell 9v, but found that the 9v LI-polymer last the longest and sounds a little different, so if you have a Hornet did you try the TYSONIC 200mha low discharge.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #491 of 674
I don't have a Hornet but I can't see why they wouldn't sound great. I use the eneloop AA and AAA, which are the Sanyo low discharge batteries and they sound better than anything else in my Monica II dac and the AAA in the iBasso and Xin amps. I am going to pick up another pair of the Tysonic and some more of the eneloop as the low discharge batteries just seem to last longer after repeated charges.

I do not believe you have heard the full potential of the 71A until you have used the Tysonic or whatever other low discharge 9 volts come out. Maybe it is the chemistry but I also understand they have a very low internal resistance even though other rechargeables already have a very low internal resistance.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #493 of 674
Yes, that is the battery. You use a NiMH 9 volt charger for it. Only the 9 volt lithium rechargeable requires the special charger for lithium as a 9 volt NiMH charger will not work with them. I got one that has a switch and it will charge the lithium or the NiMH or Nicad but no one uses the latter much any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back