Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Sep 30, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #391 of 674
Dark grey has a bit greenish tone to it under flourescent lighting, but its not bad looking though, the color is unique and different from other amps. Theres too many black and silver color components out there now, gotta be different sometimes
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #392 of 674
^
agree... that why i choose grey... unique...

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #394 of 674
First, on battery, several things here.

First of all, it seems that the closer terminals on the sr-71a appeared to be shorted together (From resistance measurement), so I think the battery should be discharged simultaneously and the source is 18v(edit: I now have reason to believe the two batteries are discharged differently.). However, as with all serial connected batteries, I think that once one of the battery becomes close to depleted, the voltage will drop below nominal voltage and would act as a load and effectively be driven to depletion by the other battery. It can be avoided by charging both battery in series(many factory battery packs are in series), or in parallel but by using reliable charger. It is for the same reason that new and old battery should not be used together, IMHO. I can be wrong.

Size. rechargeables are bundled together by 6 AAAA size battery sometimes. and maybe due to packaging, they are longer than non-rechargeable ones? duracell measure 47.8 mm. and tysonic 250mAh is 48.3 mm, radio shack is 48.5mm. Other sites have battery that are 48.5 mm. I agree that you have to squeeze the plate first (to the point the plate is flushed, and yes it take some force) before using the screws. It ease the screwing in and minimize the scruffing, although I think it is inevitable eventually. So my point is I do not have problem with the battery aferall(though I do take away the wrappers on rechargeables.)

Sound with 100 hours burn in(it sound good to begin with and i cannot tell the difference with and without burn in , cause i do not know what to look for). and again I do not know how to judge the sound w.r.t. other amps. so these are just my opinion on the amp (compare with without). But yes, it is fast, especially more noticable on bass, very fast. What appear to be a long thud from dap and laptop is now a snappy punch, very tight and locatable. I do not think there is emphasis on bass(i.e. eq should be flat), but the bass are now more defined and noticeable, and change my perception on certain music. piano also seems to be sharper, you can hear the "attack?" better. i use it on apple earbud and audio technica, cm7sv, e888, hd580 and some no name earbud. I will only comment on the fastness. apple and no name sound the same. with headamp, it is faster, but only by so much, i.e. bass still boom, e888 and cm7sv are way better (and that was where I discover the the fastness). 580 sounds great, just different from earbud, absolutely no complain there.

Ah, I also use er4s, I find that with ipod headphone out, it autually drive decently, but with headphone amp, there is a noticable 10-15% difference IMHO.

Overall, I like the amp a lot, because it allows me to hear what the source and headphone is doing and understand the music better. I do not have to worry "is it suppose to sound like this?..." (the part due to insuficient driving of the cans, i can now worry about the cans and source.)

I hope comparison with other amps will be posted soon, as I really do not know what precisely to listen to and what are the noticable difference, since I do not have another commercial portable amp.

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #395 of 674
My SR-71A has about 60 hours or so now. Been listening for the last hour with my Triple.fis.

I'm finding the SR-71A/Triples to be a great match with great synergy. They complement each other v.well.

More after burn in.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #396 of 674
How's the thumb screws at the back. Does it have a screw thread on the panel or the actual thumb screw has the thread in the center.

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #397 of 674
Hey guys, I'm interested to hear how the new SR-71 sounds at 143 hours 30 minutes 29 s.
facepalm.png

Seriously, is it possible to skip the non-sense burn-in reports and give us some real reviews with comparisons to other amps? It'd make the thread much more interesting and informative IMO.

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #399 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm interested to hear how the new SR-71 sounds at 143 hours 30 minutes 29 s.
facepalm.png

Seriously, is it possible to skip the non-sense burn-in reports and give us some real reviews with comparisons to other amps? It'd make the thread much more interesting and informative IMO.

I agree, partially anyway.

I do like to read the owners quick impressions of how the amp sound is shaping up during the burn in, but i can't wait to read the final reviews and critiques.
I am hoping that when the reviewers have finished their burn in process there will be new threads started with full reviews and comparisons- no need to trawl through pages of previous posts in this thread whilst looking for the nitty gritty of the final reviews.

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #401 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
facepalm.png

Most of the folks here have full time jobs outside head-fi. Also this amp is new so folks are in the process of burning in before doing full fledged reviews. Some folks like to follow how the sound evolves as the amp burns in.

I'll be comparing with the iQube and will post my impressions. I'm sure others will post reviews of the amp by itself or comparisons to other amps they own.

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #402 of 674
If there are any reviews in this thread I can always post them on the first page or use page numbers as I have with the images. Any thread is normally going to have input other than just the review, good and bad.

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #403 of 674
I'm going to order either "Predator" or "Blackbird", can't be both
frown.gif

Still waiting to read the comparison between the two... in term of SQ. Thank you.

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #404 of 674
I currently use a Total Airhead with ER4S/Grado 80s. I have been looking to upgrade to either the iCube or Predator until the Blackbird came out and I have just ordered one.

However I listen to the likes of Rush, Floyd, Genesis, Marillion. I have just seen a comment that some suggest the previous RS71 was better for Jazz.

Will my rock sensibilities be disappointed?

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #405 of 674
I've read that someone (My apologies but i forgot who...) compared the SR-71A with the original and find that the bass is more pronounced and tight (a.k.a. good bass). I dont think its boomy on my part. I actually like this amp (SR-71A) more than my i-Qube...

This is my current stand at the moment. Will have to wait till the blackbird (a.k.a. BB) is fully burnt in.... Its been playing for 3 days straight now.... The battery is still going strong. Using energizer 9V batts... The BB actually reveals more instruments and separates them better compared to the i-Qube. I'm not the critical listening type, so i rank my amps based on how much i enjoy the music with it...

One question... How are the iPower US 9V lithium rechargeable batts? How good or long do they last compared to the 9.6V 230mAh Powerex rechargeable batts? Planning to get them if the difference is a lot... SQ comparison for the batts if possible (i know its subjective, but its good to know...)

Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back