Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Nov 27, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #632 of 674
For the amount of money people have spent on this portable amp, I am surprised that people are unwilling to spend a little extra on something that may improve the sound. I am not saying that it will or will not improve the sound, just saying what would it hurt to try it out for yourself? Especially with a handful trying it out saying it does.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #633 of 674
hi all,i got a question there which hasn't been answered in the other thread.i wonder if the energizer's 175mah(green stickers) have enough efficiency to drive this amp without problem? i am asking this as right now i am using these batteries,meanwhile i don't have any others batteries to do the comparison.furthermore,the tysonic that you all recommended is not available in my country thus i would have to ship it from the usa which would cost me a lot.thanks in advance to you all.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #634 of 674
The batteries will work fine. You are looking at how much energy they store. At 175mA you will get less run time but the same output for when the amp is being used until they need to be recharged again.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #635 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacific Microsonics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be sensitive to different batteries, but is it sensitive enough so that when I pass gas over here, the micro-changes in air density is detected as a subtle impact on sound quality of your SR-71A over there?

It would be difficult to observe that phenomenon in the longer range, since, as the distance-to-"over there" (radius) increases, the delta-volume element increases as a cube of the delta-radius, increasing the likelihood that someone within that element is passing gas. Normally, to observe a change resulting from a factor one would observe with and without the factor. As the distance increases, how can observations be made with no passings of gas at that distance? Those difficulties in view, what CAN we say about this proposed phenomenon?

First of all, in discussing this particular potential effect on the SQ of the SR-71A, we do not place any less importance on other possible influences such as
the phase of the moon, color/pattern of socks worn (by the listener and others around them), what the people within various radii of the listener had for lunch yesterday (of which this last one may be influencing their passing of gas today - both severity and frequency), ...

About gas passing:
I HAVE noticed that my appreciation of the sound quality of what I hear is detectably not quite as good while I'M passing gas (and shortly thereafter), and that this phenomenon is also detectable, but at something qualitatively like an inverse distance-squared/cubed magnitude, with a distance-related time delay, when someone in close proximity to me passes gas. In fact, I've noticed this effect at work or home after a "Silent But Deadly" from a co-worker or family member, which is somewhat like a single blind test - although in this case politeness to my co-worker prevents me from gathering work time-delay data, but I have gathered rough home-based time-delay data following the detection of an "SBD" . What I'm less sure about is the extent to which this phenomenon is related to micro-changes in air density and the extent to which it may be related to other attributes/effects of a passing of gas. But the good news is: over the life of my use of the SR-71A, I'll have the opportunity to make MANY more observations of this phenomenon, at least in the short-range.

Another bit of good news to us audiophiles is that, because the magnitude of this effect (again, observed in the short-range) appears (at least to MY ears/nose, workplace/home/public settings) to follow an inverse distance-squared/cubed relationship, that the effect, as the distance (radius) increases, will be less attributable to a particular passing of gas, and more attributable to an aggregate of passings of gas within the corresponding delta-volume element. As the size of this delta-volume element increases, it is more likely that the number of gas passings encountered at any delta time interval will vary decreasingly. With the longer-distance contribution to the phenomenon expected to have vanishingly smaller magnitude and lower fluctuation, the likely detectable contributions to this phenomenon will be relatively short-ranged.

Along the lines of those "good news" expectations, I, for one, have not been able to detect fluctuations in my appreciation of the Sound Quality of the SR-71A similar to that observed in conjuction with the short-range passing of gas, but without the short-range passing of gas having occured. Those fluctuations may not be detected because a) the longer-range passing of gas does not have a detectable influence on my appreciation of the Sound Quality of the SR-71A - OR - b) it may be because the longer-range passing of gas DOES have such a detectable effect, and, because that effect is constantly being exerted, I don't notice it -OR- c) your favorite tertium quid here. Even within possibility b) there is still "good news". While the SR-71A MAY sound (who knows how much) better without the constant influence of the long-range passing of gas, under that influence, it sounds wonderful (and even detectably better with the Tysonic ULD 9V rechargeables).

Since those ("good news") expectations are based mainly on short-range observations (from one posted observer at this point - whose short-range observations will need to verified by other observers), the expectations will need to be tested with some actual longer range observations. After all, there may be longer-range components of a gas passing which do not follow the patterns or expectations based on the observations, and hence, reasoning above - which is why time and funds are spent to make actual observations. Until the events and conditions under which those observations can be made and verified can be arranged, "While, based on the short-range observations of one careful, but qualitative, observer, we expect the longer-range effects of gas-passing on a listener's appreciation of the Sound Quality using a SR-71A amp to fall below a detectable threshhold, until the observations are actually made under longer-range and verifiable conditions and found to follow the observed pattern of the observations made in the shorter-range, we must keep an open mind and say, 'You may be on to something'."

tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

That was fun for me, and I hope, good infotainment for others. And for all those for whom it wasn't, there's the ignore list. And don't forget, we still need corroborating short-range observations as well as verifiable longer-range observations, at a variety of ranges, with a way to get longer-range measurements which can be controlled for no passings of gas. Since I got the ball rolling on this with these short-range observations, I would expect those of you with ideas about how to get the longer-range observations to make and contribute those. C'mon now, fair's fair.

Next up: Phase of the Moon ... (stay tuned)

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #636 of 674
The the basis for anything, what you build on is what you get. In a amp etc, the first thing is the power supply. A bad power supply, and it doesn't matter what else you do. The batteries in the 71A and other amps of this type, is the battery. The lower the internal resistance the better the current flow and from there everything else follows. Not to know this is not understanding what role the power supply plays. The lower internal resistance of Tysonic and eneloop types is what sets them apart in supplying current.

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #637 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be difficult to observe that phenomenon in the longer range

we've already got something for up to five meters.
tracker_01.jpg

maybe someone can bring one to a meet.

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #638 of 674
Quote:

we've already got something for up to five meters. <Image of device removed in quote> maybe someone can bring one to a meet.

LOL

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #639 of 674
Quote:

It may be sensitive to different batteries, but is it sensitive enough so that when I pass gas over here, the micro-changes in air density is detected as a subtle impact on sound quality of your SR-71A over there?

It has been proclaimed that the amount of air that is displaced by a butterfly flapping its wing one time, can cause a Tsunami, half a world away.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #640 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been proclaimed that the amount of air that is displaced by a butterfly flapping its wing one time, can cause a Tsunami, half a world away.

LOL, Theory of Chaos in Head-fi. Nice!
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #642 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by callmevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im looking to get a new amp to drive dt880, dt990pro, and an hd650.. would the sr71A qualify for this and how does it compare with a LISA III?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/s...oughts-383399/

There's more information if you search "SR-71A Lisa" under "Portable Amp" section.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #643 of 674
Quote:

im looking to get a new amp to drive dt880, dt990pro, and an hd650.. would the sr71A qualify for this and how does it compare with a LISA III?

If you're thinking about getting a SR-71A, you better rush because Ray is running short on them. The demand was so high and he doesn't have any more parts to manufacture anothers.

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #644 of 674
Quote:

I have My DT880 600Ohms wit the SR-71a.
I can say, it is driving it, at Hi Gain, and About 12o'clock on the Dial. with the HD600, Med Gain 12 O'clock is fine, or 10 o'clock on Hi gain.

SR-71a, Have Lots of Current to give great impact on bass, and stability of sound stage at the Same time.

Only thing is the Battery Life is about 20hrs on Powermax 9.6V. it is annoying when you are doing the 100 hours burn-in.
However after that, 20Hours is plenty of great Head-fi in your hand.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #645 of 674
i have the dt880 250ohm version driving by sr-71a at high gain.it just sound too good!my sony dap added warm to the overall sounds of the songs,more impact than my panasonic pcdp by using its line-out.but both players have their own good sound though,the latter is more neutral but not nearly as powerful and warm sounding when pair with sr-71a to dt880.though it was just my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back