Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Sep 22, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #302 of 674
God bless the two most beautiful words I read today: "limited" and "run"
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I am saved from further expenditure
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #303 of 674
I'm really looking forward to hearing from others' impressions on this. Particularly, how it compares to the original SR-71, as well as the Predator (is there THAT big of a difference in SQ?).

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #304 of 674
My 71 A just arrived and out of the box it sounds very similar to my 71, perhaps not as open sounding, but hell, it has 2 minutes of burn in. Will report back after some more burn-in.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #305 of 674
smile_phones.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 71 A just arrived and out of the box it sounds very similar to my 71, perhaps not as open sounding, but hell, it has 2 minutes of burn in. Will report back after some more burn-in.

I've got 20 hours of burn-in so far and it's making a huge difference already. Out of the box, the amp sounded slightly compressed and there was a hint of congestion in the lower midbass/midrange. All is clearing up very nicely as the hours go by.

I recently purchased a Pico, iQube and Hornet and this amp is truly in a class by itself. This is by far the most impressive portable amp I've heard to date.

Needless to say, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase!
smile_phones.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #307 of 674
thejoneser, thx for your initial impressions. I realize you're still burning the amp in, but what were the most notable differences to the iQube ?

I cant wait to receive my SR-71a

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #308 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God bless the two most beautiful words I read today: "limited" and "run"
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I am saved from further expenditure
tongue.gif

Those words just make me want to buy even more... like the ESW10. I don't think that's just my love for the ESW9 talking, either.

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #309 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thejoneser, thx for your initial impressions. I realize you're still burning the amp in, but what were the most notable differences to the iQube ?

While the iQube is no slouch, it sounds ever-so-slightly recessed in comparison to the SR-71A, as if your seated further back in the performance. The SR-71A sounds more dynamic and presents the music with an authoritative ease. The extra headroom in the SR-71A provides jaw-dropping bottom end that has phenomenal weight, detail and clarity unmatched by any amp this size. I could go on and on. This amp is so impressive...

I wish I could get some work done but this amp commands your attention and respect when listening! I'm in big trouble!

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #311 of 674
Actually, I've only listened through my Triple.Fi 10s and AKG 701s. My 2 year old son has hidden my UE-11s and I haven't been able to find them since the amp arrived. Not happy. I can only imagine how good they will sound when I find them! But I can say that this is the best the TF10s have ever sounded by far. An excellent match.

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #312 of 674
I got mine today. Fantastic delivery time for such a distance. I have listened to it all day (about 10 hours) exclusively with my UE-11. I am seriously amazed at how good this combo is. With only 10 hours on the clock I am very eager to see how this sounds in a few weeks after a more substantial burn in.

The thing that keeps shocking me in almost every song I listen to is the detail in the bass. Its shocking that ALL those bass lines actually sound like that & I never noticed.

I was on the fence for buying an iQube for a long time. The only thing that put me off was the backwards cabling design. I'm very glad I held off & got myself a Black Bird.

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #313 of 674
thejoneser, I have a 2 year old. I'm lucky, he only hides car parts
angry_face.gif
He will listen to the MS-1's once in a while
normal_smile .gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #314 of 674
Got mine as well today. Listened and compared to my SR71 and Hornet for around ten minutes before starting it burning in. It sounds great to me right off the bat on my usual test songs. Didn't listen long enough for any meaningful impression...but the SR71A at this point is definitely slightly more forward/aggresive than my well burned in SR71.

The narrower width and thinner case makes a big difference. It seems significantly lighter than my SR71.

I really like the new knob/volume control. It's bigger than a hornet/predator knob in a good way...and has all of the fine tune control of it's older brother.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #315 of 674
Anybody take any pictures yet? I hope to be listening to one soon but would enjoy seeing some images. What color are you getting? Black, grey or clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back