AV-710 Problems
Sep 9, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #31 of 39
If I were you, I'd start all over (if you haven't already).....uninstall all sound drivers, for both the Audigy 2 and AV-710, remove the sound cards from the device manager, shut down, remove both sound cards, and maybe just install the AV-710 into a different slot.

Once you're booted up, install the correct drivers for the sound card. Before you start messing around with any settings, test out the headphones to make sure everything is working properly and it gets loud enough. Use default settings in foobar or winamp, with no plugins or anything.

If everything sounds ok, then start changing settings and using any plugins you want.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
What headphones are you using? My A900s are fine straight out of the 710, using either socket. They sound better with an amp, but fine without.

MS-1's.

Quote:

If I were you, I'd start all over (if you haven't already).....uninstall all sound drivers, for both the Audigy 2 and AV-710, remove the sound cards from the device manager, shut down, remove both sound cards, and maybe just install the AV-710 into a different slot.

Once you're booted up, install the correct drivers for the sound card. Before you start messing around with any settings, test out the headphones to make sure everything is working properly and it gets loud enough. Use default settings in foobar or winamp, with no plugins or anything.

If everything sounds ok, then start changing settings and using any plugins you want.

I'm going to try that out tomorrow, maybe it's having some sort of conflict with my old drivers although I did un-install everything before installing the AV-710. I guess it never hurts to try again.

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #34 of 39
Have you tried the PPHS resampler? (It's attached to the setup guide). It uses much less CPU (CPU usage on my AthlonXP 2500+ went from 15% w/ SSRC to <1% with PPHS).

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #35 of 39
That worked, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

That worked, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm. Not for me--at about 25% +/- CPU (35% +/- in "Ultra" mode) .

It's this 2.7Ghz Celeron chip I guess. Oh well, Office apps and the Internet...

Sep 9, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Mine runs at 5-6% in ultra mode, and 1-3% in standard. The instructions say it doesn't help sound quality, and I can't hear a difference. I have a hyperthreaded 2.8GHz P4.

That's amazing--1%-6% CPU. It is obviously your manly man CPU. You know, I could do that chip with my setup after flashing my M/B to 800Mhz. It looks like it's around $150 including heatsink and fan based in closed auctions on Ebay. Hmmm.

When I'm running in Ultra mode with my 2.7 Celeron, my CPU can actually spike up to 100% and stay there for several seconds, especially if I am opening other applications while scrolling my browser window. 30% overhead for music is pretty high.

Thanks for the info on that.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #39 of 39
Ok well I re-installed the Audigy and it definitely sounds a lot better. With all the equalizer settings off, the sound is slightly clearer and most importantly, there's no clipping at all. Until I get an amp I'll probably stick with the Audigy and even then I'll probably just see what sounds better.

EDIT: And no, I don't mind you guys hijacking my topic at all.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back