AV-710 Problems
Sep 8, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 39
I've messed around with everything so far and I can't seem to get it working. I guess I'll try looking for an amp. The thing is, I don't know anything about them; I hear all these names being thrown around (CMOY, META, Mint, etc. etc.) and I don't know the difference. So, what should I look for?

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 39
All those different names are different designs for entry level/portable/inexpensive amps. A CMOY is one of the most basic designs, and is also the cheapest and delivers good quality. A MINT is a META42 redesigned to fit in a mint tin (like an Altoids tin), at the expense of some of it's flexibility. A META42 was the entry level DIY "home" amp and has quite good sound quality, though it has been passed up by a redesign of it called the PIMETA (PPA (highest-end DIY amp) Inspired META). Another good option in the inexpensive pricerange is Headsave's Vibe and Classic lines.

commando: Have you tried following my AV-710 setup guide?

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You need to use Kernel Streaming, not Waveout.

When I turn on kernel streaming I can't hear anything from the normal socket, and all I get from the socket closest to the optical out is static. Any other ideas?

Edit - i'm going to try the 3.10a drivers and see if they help.

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
When I turn on kernel streaming I can't hear anything from the normal socket, and all I get from the socket closest to the optical out is static. Any other ideas?

Are you using any kind of Windows sound schemes?!! Or another audio source being played? KS wants to be the ONLY sound source being played at a time! So anything else will interrupt it and stop the sounds.

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando

Hey commando:

The jack next to the optical out *is* the one you want, so I recommended plugging into that permanently and trying to work it out from there. If you use any other jack in the card, you might be able to make it play music, but you will be using the standard, non-hi-fi portion of the card.

I had the static problem occur once, but it went away on its own following reboot. I'm using 1.43d drivers (WinXP, SP2) and everything is running fine now. If you have access to another computer and can't make it work on your machine (after removing the card, deleting the associated drivers and starting over--yes, I hate doing that too), then you could troubleshoot the sound card in a different computer to make sure thast isn't the cause, or just exchange it for another one and start fresh. But I wouldn't settle for the standard output.

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 39
I installed the 3.10a drivers and kernel streaming works now
smily_headphones1.gif
The only downside of these drivers is you can't have high sample rate and digital out going at the same time, so I can't switch between the 710 and my DAC as easily.... but I don't really like the DAC much anyway. Thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 39
The 3.10a drivers have given me no problems in Windows XP SP2. As long as you know and deal with the master volume bug (see Mr Radar's setup) then the 3.10a drivers are fine. Personally, I don't use any volume controls before the line out anyway.

ted_b

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #27 of 39
Also another question. I turn the master volume all the way up but it doesn't get very loud at all. Would this also be because of a lack of amp?

I'm guessing I'll just use my Audigy for now until I get an amp and then I'll try to get this card working.

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android
Also another question. I turn the master volume all the way up but it doesn't get very loud at all. Would this also be because of a lack of amp?

I'm guessing I'll just use my Audigy for now until I get an amp and then I'll try to get this card working.

What headphones are you using? My A900s are fine straight out of the 710, using either socket. They sound better with an amp, but fine without.

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Commando, any impressions on Wolfson vs. Via vs. AOS Piccolo DAC?

I can't get the AOS DAC going with the new drivers - but I haven't tried that hard. The via and wolfson DACs sound about the same to me, and the aos one sounds lifeless compared with it.

I have an ally with a different dac chip, I forget which one it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back