Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek
Feb 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #61 of 447
Yeah, the wording on the card does indicate that it is limited to SPDIF transmission. If support for multichannel PCM was not actually intended, then I should perhaps shop for a native HDMI card for this system (I currently have a HomeTheater HD installed in my primary home theater machine, which I really like).

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #62 of 447
That is what I thought, the digital output is a S/Pdif output so limted to 2 channel PCM and DDL and DTS-C encoded surround. You could conenct that to a GFX card that has S/Pdif input for HDMI integration but the audio would always be limited to these standards. If true HDMI audio standard support is what you after then you need another product.

Yes, I really liked the HTHD 7.1 also, sounds great and has a boatload of features for home theater PCs. The HTHD card gives you full high resolution "HDMI" audio standards over analog.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #64 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Essence ST doesn't have this issue right?
I mean I intend to mostly use analogue out, but later I may end-up doing digi pass-through via HDMI etc.

Any card that is connected to a HDMI GFX card by internal digital S/Pdif will be limited by that standard. In short, you cannot get true "HDMI" audio standards such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HDMA out of a normal S/pdif output. There is simply not enough bandwidth for the required digital information.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #66 of 447
I had a question about this card in general.

I am interested in the fact that this card does have the separate headphone output. Although, I am wondering if this allows the card to drive the headphones at the same time as another audio stream? For example, could I run 5.1 audio on my speakers AND have it also playing as stereo in the headphones? This would be super helpful in the fact that you wouldn't have to adjust audio settings, volume, or plug in cords each time you want to switch to the headphones. Similar question; could I use the digital audio for the speakers and then also use the headphones at the same time? My perfect card would let me plug in my speakers as multi-channel PCM over digital so that it would work just like the analog outs, AND also drive the headphones in stereo. (I switch between headphones as speakers often since I live in a dorm room and have to appease the room-mate when he's around) I have not used X-Fi cards in the past, so not sure how they handle this sort of thing. (I know my onboard does this simply fantastically... but that is onboard)

I currently have an HT Omega Striker 7.1, although am having some issues. For one, volume levels seems messed up for analog surround outputs. The tech-support admitted the problem and are looking into it. This forces me to use Digital. Although, when using the digital, any time I play a movie in surround, it has to use S-pidf passthrough which jams up players like foobar and forces me to restart them. This is a huge annoyance. Also having some issues with interference sounds coming from certain things such as scrolling and minimizing windows, etc. Probably EMI.

Another question, which has been asked already previously, although I would kind of like clarification. I have an M3 headphone amp which I really do love. I more or less would just want this card for the dedicated headphone output (IF it can also drive the speakers synonymously) Would it be horrible to use the amped headphone output from this card to go into my M3 headphone amp?
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #67 of 447
sorry if this has been asked before, but are the connection glod plated? Because they are made of plastic, but i wanted to know if it's just the cover, and if the actual connection is made of gold plated metal.
I was also wondeing if the outside gold plated minijack femal plugs are just for marketing.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #68 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCTonyHawk7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a question about this card in general.

I am interested in the fact that this card does have the separate headphone output. Although, I am wondering if this allows the card to drive the headphones at the same time as another audio stream? For example, could I run 5.1 audio on my speakers AND have it also playing as stereo in the headphones? This would be super helpful in the fact that you wouldn't have to adjust audio settings, volume, or plug in cords each time you want to switch to the headphones. Similar question; could I use the digital audio for the speakers and then also use the headphones at the same time? My perfect card would let me plug in my speakers as multi-channel PCM over digital so that it would work just like the analog outs, AND also drive the headphones in stereo. (I switch between headphones as speakers often since I live in a dorm room and have to appease the room-mate when he's around) I have not used X-Fi cards in the past, so not sure how they handle this sort of thing. (I know my onboard does this simply fantastically... but that is onboard)

In Vista the speaker outputs and headphones outputs are seen as totally different outputs in the audio configuration panel. There is also a seperate volume controls for both outputs. I am thking you could possibly send different streams to the different outputs but I will check with an associate and get a definitive answer for you. There is a DTS-C encoder coming for this card which encodes all audio to surround for output over digital output for surround systems. I know the headphone and normal digital 2.0 output works simultaneously.

Quote:

I currently have an HT Omega Striker 7.1, although am having some issues. For one, volume levels seems messed up for analog surround outputs. The tech-support admitted the problem and are looking into it. This forces me to use Digital. Although, when using the digital, any time I play a movie in surround, it has to use S-pidf passthrough which jams up players like foobar and forces me to restart them. This is a huge annoyance. Also having some issues with interference sounds coming from certain things such as scrolling and minimizing windows, etc. Probably EMI.

Another question, which has been asked already previously, although I would kind of like clarification. I have an M3 headphone amp which I really do love. I more or less would just want this card for the dedicated headphone output (IF it can also drive the speakers synonymously) Would it be horrible to use the amped headphone output from this card to go into my M3 headphone amp?
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is usually frowned upon to drive an amplifer from another amplifer as you can overdrive the input and add a greatd eal fo distortion to the signal. That being saidm I have heard of peopel doing it though.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #69 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Vista the speaker outputs and headphones outputs are seen as totally different outputs in the audio configuration panel. There is also a seperate volume controls for both outputs. I am thking you could possibly send different streams to the different outputs but I will check with an associate and get a definitive answer for you. There is a DTS-C encoder coming for this card which encodes all audio to surround for output over digital output for surround systems. I know the headphone and normal digital 2.0 output works simultaneously.

It is usually frowned upon to drive an amplifer from another amplifer as you can overdrive the input and add a greatd eal fo distortion to the signal. That being saidm I have heard of peopel doing it though.

Thanks for the response. So, in general, you are saying that digital and Headphone can work fine at the same time. I guess my big question at this point would be whether or not the analog outputs and headphones work at the same time. If it does, that would probably end up being the most ideal since digital is often finicky.

As far as the headphone amp... it is not that I want to amps, I more so just want that headphone output so that my speakers and headphones could work at the same time. What do you mean by overdriving the input? Basically, the headphone amplifier would be getting too much signal and then trying to make it even more powerful causing distortion? Maybe this wouldn't be an issue if I have headphones that can take a decent load?

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #70 of 447
Quote:

Any card that is connected to a HDMI GFX card by internal digital S/Pdif will be limited by that standard. In short, you cannot get true "HDMI" audio standards such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HDMA out of a normal S/pdif output. There is simply not enough bandwidth for the required digital information.

Thanks I realise that, but the ST doesn't connect that way does it?

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #71 of 447
Quote:

Thanks for the response. So, in general, you are saying that digital and Headphone can work fine at the same time. I guess my big question at this point would be whether or not the analog outputs and headphones work at the same time. If it does, that would probably end up being the most ideal since digital is often finicky.

As far as the headphone amp... it is not that I want to amps, I more so just want that headphone output so that my speakers and headphones could work at the same time. What do you mean by overdriving the input? Basically, the headphone amplifier would be getting too much signal and then trying to make it even more powerful causing distortion? Maybe this wouldn't be an issue if I have headphones that can take a decent load?

I just verifed that you can play multiple streams to the output you suggested. One to the heaphone output and one to the speaker output. The outputs show up in a music player for instance as:

1. Headphone out
2. Speakers out
3. Digital out

In theory if two work then all three should work but I will have to check on that.
As for the headphone amplifer, Yes, the input is not meant to be connected to a high power source like the output of another amplifier. It might be alright if you keep the output level low but it is not something I would advise. Your choice though.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #72 of 447
Quote:

I just verifed, that you can play two different streams. One to the heaphone output and one to the speaker output. If I get a chance I will try and see if I can get all three outputs tested at the same time.
1. Headphone out
2. Speakers out
3. Digital out
In theory of two work then all three should work but I will have ot check on that for you.
As for the headphone amplifer, Yes, the input is not meant to be connected to a high power source like the output of another amplifier.

Awesome, thanks for confirming that.

Hmmmm, that could be a problem. I didn't pay $300+ for a headphone amp to not be able to use it. I wonder if one of those mode button things can turn off the amplification, or if that is all just hardwired. I guess I may have to use the stereo (green) for the headphone amp and the digital for my speakers.

Thanks again.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #74 of 447
just a small question on my part,
replacing the opamps and all that improves the card and quality, but whats the point if you still have to use creatives horrible bloatware X-Fi driver ?

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #75 of 447
The drivers for the Bravura are far from bloatware.
From my experience and from others information, Auzentech cards tend to respond much differently then Creative cards with concerns to drivers. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back