Austrian Audio HI-X55
May 12, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #151 of 238
Technology: 44 mm Hi-X driver · Frequency Response: 5 - 28.000 Hz · Impedance: 25 Ohm ·
Sensitivity: 110 dB ·
THD: @ 1 kHz: < 0.1% ·
Plug: 3,5 mm jack with Adapter auf 6,3 mm jack · Cable: removable ·
Cable length: 1,2 and 3 m ·
Country of Origin: Austria ·
Rated power: 150 mW · foldable

Seems like these are the specs.

May 12, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #152 of 238
I really liked the design of the Hi-x55 and these x65's look nice too! I know I complained a few months back about the x55's causing ear issues, but I'm pretty sure I was dealing with an ear infection that was taking a long time to heal. Almost back to normal. So for anyone previously reading my comments about this issue, disregard it as it was not the headphones.

Also, my partner never had any issues with the x55's. :)

May 13, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #154 of 238
Very excited about the new open back! Look forward to eventually trying it out. I must admit, I did recently purchase the classic ATH-M50X. The HI-X55 and M50X aren't necessarily comparable, but I think I actually prefer the M50x with different pads as a closed-back go-to. It has the ability to be used in a studio setting, but has a pleasurable enough sound signature that I can use it for normal listening without the crazy peaks of the Hi-X55.

May 14, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #155 of 238
May 29, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #156 of 238
I bought these after reading a lot of rave reviews and trying them out in a store (where they seemed weird but nonetheless great) – but now when I'm listening at home, mostly to J-Pop, I can't help but notice that vocals, especially female vocals, seem, I dunno, quiet compared to the instruments and can be harder to distinguish than on other headsets that I have (e.g. Drop Panda, which I enjoyed a lot until the joints broke, or Momentum 1, or even Sony XM3 even though I'm not a fan of it's overall sound that feels compressed).

I even notice the dampened voices in movies and anime when there's not much else going on, and making out what people say somehow takes a lot more mental effort than what I'm used to.

Is it possible to EQ this somehow, or is this just what they will always sound like and it's just a mismatch with my preferences? Tried those settings on GitHub with Equalizer APO, but all that did was make the headphones sound like a muffled radio.

This is my first pair of what people are calling "analytical cans" so I wonder if it's just not my thing or if I'm doing something wrong (or, I dunno, if after the Pandas everything that's not planar magnetic won't cut it anymore – if Drop didn't mess up royally with firmware and QC I'd have likely bought another pair of those despite the cost). They also seem to have even less bass than I thought they would, which is not a deal breaker but I'll miss the Sawano Drops.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #159 of 238
I don't really know how to describe the effect well, but it's just hard to make them out. Male vocals have the same effect, but either to a slightly lesser degree or it's my comparatively smaller set of male vocal tracks skewing the impression. The voices just seem to get lost in all of the instruments and I have to make an effort to hear what is being said instead of just relax and enjoy when the vocals kick in. I'm running the cans off a simple Fiio E10K DAC/amp so I wonder if that's just not enough?

Maybe some instruments also are under/overstated compared to others (something in the upper mids or highs is hurting my ears a little bit, but I can't tell what and it's rare enough to ignore), but it's hard for me to tell due to not being audiophile enough, especially since with these cans I hear more instruments in general than what I'm used to, which is really nice and probably why I initially expected to outright love these.

May 29, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #160 of 238
Curious as to why you're saying this as if it's some well-known "fact".
Any particular source you'd care to mention re this info?
Yeah, myself. I had to return a pair of quite expensive headphones sold as new that were obviously used. Same thing happened to many others according to the reviews for various headphones— no reason not to believe them after it happened to me. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and usually have a great experience and it was easy enough to return the headphones, but not an experience I want to repeat.

May 29, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #161 of 238

Attachments

• HI-X65 vs. 55.jpg
    HI-X65 vs. 55.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #163 of 238
I decided to give these a try after being happy with the K550 and K553 for years besides the plastic piece on the headband adjustment that's prone to cracking. I bought a K553 Pro after the K550 gave out fully and these had a driver blow out. And my current K553 MK2 have the stupid plastic cracking again. Wanted to try something different.

With that said these are very disappointing. People talk about these having a very wide sound stage but to me there is like none compared to the K553.

It just sounds so weird and unnatural and severely lacking bass. The K553 has a perfect amount of bass.

I'm curious if I perhaps got a bad pair seeing how some have had some QC issues...

As for a test track I was using

It's best to listen off YouTube of course. Crazy amount of dynamics in this. With that said this sounds completely gone in the Hi-X55 but comes to life in the K553.

Oh well any other suggestions to go down the line of the K553ish sound signature? :)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #164 of 238
Oh well any other suggestions to go down the line of the K553ish sound signature? :)
Don't feel bad. I was also disappointed. Once I got past their brutal clamp (which you can't fix by bending, as the plastic part of the headband would snap) and earpad issue (narrow edge that digs in around your ear) the sound was bad too. That somewhat wide bump in the mids around 1.5 khz made them shouty and resonant. If you want that accurate but comfortable fit and sound you have in the AKG consider these. Samson Z55, between $75-$100 used, $100-$150 new, check eBay, Amazon, B&H, etc, and then replace the pads with NVX Standard (non-angled) Comfort Max pads (eBay, or on NVX website, for $20). They are much more accurate, for mixing / mastering. They also do somewhat lack bass quantity but have great quality. With stock pads there is more bass but your ears are cramped a bit and their soundstage is smaller. Those new earpads expand the soundstage, flatten the mid bass, low mids, but keep the sub bass extension (it's just a bit lower). The midrange is forward but flat and not peaky, the high mids, higher end is smooth and flat and accurate, with a gentle roll off about 10-15 khz. If you want a more fun sound with more low end, a bit more high treble, and gentle high midrange dip, consider: Audio Technica ATH-SR50 (regularly $160, but on sale for $80 on Amazon) then replace the small earpads with those same pads. The stock pads for those actually fit well on the AKG K371, increasing the sub bass even more (which is already massive) and smoothing out the high/high mid peak and creating a better seal.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #165 of 238
Don't feel bad. I was also disappointed. Once I got past their brutal clamp (which you can't fix by bending, as the plastic part of the headband would snap) and earpad issue (narrow edge that digs in around your ear) the sound was bad too. That somewhat wide bump in the mids around 1.5 khz made them shouty and resonant. If you want that accurate but comfortable fit and sound you have in the AKG consider these. Samson Z55, between $75-$100 used, $100-$150 new, check eBay, Amazon, B&H, etc, and then replace the pads with NVX Standard (non-angled) Comfort Max pads (eBay, or on NVX website, for $20). They are much more accurate, for mixing / mastering. They also do somewhat lack bass quantity but have great quality. With stock pads there is more bass but your ears are cramped a bit and their soundstage is smaller. Those new earpads expand the soundstage, flatten the mid bass, low mids, but keep the sub bass extension (it's just a bit lower). The midrange is forward but flat and not peaky, the high mids, higher end is smooth and flat and accurate, with a gentle roll off about 10-15 khz. If you want a more fun sound with more low end, a bit more high treble, and gentle high midrange dip, consider: Audio Technica ATH-SR50 (regularly $160, but on sale for $80 on Amazon) then replace the small earpads with those same pads. The stock pads for those actually fit well on the AKG K371, increasing the sub bass even more (which is already massive) and smoothing out the high/high mid peak and creating a better seal.
Yeah I'm quite puzzled why people like this sound signature. I was expecting like an improvement to the K55X but this was anything but that. Also Yes, The clamping force of them hurt my ears and caused weird pressure. I figure over time it might loosen up.

I'm not sure if I should get another par seeing all the praise and try again but that mid peak does seems to be present in frequency graphs. Perhaps earcups acting as resonators for that as it seems way toned down on the open back version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back