Austrian Audio HI-X55
Feb 6, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #136 of 238
Ah, I didn’t know that.
Amazon just capitalizes on my impatience. Where I live, a lot of headphones/IEMs can be ordered and delivered same day or next day. Whereas I feel like with B&H it’s always 7-10 days or I have to pay some ridiculous shipping fee.
Well to be fair, Amazon also refunds returns without issue -- so if you have the patience to return and buy again, it does have its advantages.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #137 of 238
After owning the Hi-X55 For about a month now, I thought I’d share some thoughts.

As everybody has already said, these are extremely detailed headphones with a large soundstage. It’s quite remarkable what you can hear with them.

I’ve been using them primarily with the Ifi Zen stack and the Hiby R5. For some genres/songs they don’t need equalization, but for others they do sound unbalanced.

On the Ifi, equalization helps *a lot* — the AutoEq settings have changed recently (they were recalculated using the same response curve, but now for some reason sound a lot better to me): https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Austrian Audio Hi-X55/Austrian Audio Hi-X55 ParametricEQ.txt

I do find that for some songs I have to decrease the 2kHz correction in the AutoEq settings, otherwise they sound too harsh.

The headphones pair well with the R5, but using MSEB adjustments makes it even better (set negative “bass texture” to get rid of the boominess, positive “note thickness”, negative “voice”). Don’t be afraid to move the sliders quite a bit from zero.

They are extremely comfortable and have now adapted to my head, which I think is contributing to the increased enjoyment. I do worry that the earpads will get out of shape quickly because they are so soft and you can’t buy a replacement. With the cable they do sell spares and the jack is not proprietary, but I don’t think you can find aftermarket earpads with this 12-point attachment system — correct me if I am wrong.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase and happy that I took a chance on these.
How does one setup AutoEQ? Do you happen to know a guide or something in laymen terms.

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #138 of 238
How does one setup AutoEQ? Do you happen to know a guide or something in laymen terms.

It’s just parametric equalization, so if you already have an app that does that on your computer/phone, you can just put in the parameters for the specific headphones. If you don’t have one yet, AutoEQ has a handy guide for the major platforms (PC/Mac/Android): https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #141 of 238
How do they compare to the stock ones? Tips of my ear usually hit the driver after some time so I'm looking for something with more structural integrity.
The depth is about the same, so I am not sure they would help with your issue. They are a little firmer and the inner dimensions of the pads are smaller as the walls of the pads are thicker. You can see the dimensions here:

Untitled-3.jpg

The frequency response is similar to the stock pads, but the treble -- to me -- appears a little less pronounced.

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #142 of 238
Hello, im currently thinking of getting a pair. but i'd like to know if anyone has compared these to the DT1990 Pro?
i currently do own a pair of the 1990Pro and im wondering if thoes are better or worse, performance/technical/clarity wise?

anyone have any input ?

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #143 of 238
Hello, im currently thinking of getting a pair. but i'd like to know if anyone has compared these to the DT1990
Very different. The DT1990 has a lot of highs and air, the mids are flat and the bass is surprisingly good for an open back. The HI-X55 has a little less highs, and the sub bass is similar, but the midrange is a lumpy mess with shouty strident midrange to high mids. Much better closed back options exist well below the cost of these that I could suggest.

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #144 of 238
Hello, im currently thinking of getting a pair. but i'd like to know if anyone has compared these to the DT1990 Pro?
i currently do own a pair of the 1990Pro and im wondering if thoes are better or worse, performance/technical/clarity wise?

anyone have any input ?

To me the Hi-X55 is much more comfortable, and, while having a rather different tuning, at a comparable level of technical ability. It also is more compact and foldable.
I'd certainly give them a try, well worth it.

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #145 of 238
The depth is about the same, so I am not sure they would help with your issue. They are a little firmer and the inner dimensions of the pads are smaller as the walls of the pads are thicker. You can see the dimensions here:

Untitled-3.jpg

The frequency response is similar to the stock pads, but the treble -- to me -- appears a little less pronounced.
Did you have to mod them in any way to attach them to the headphone?

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #147 of 238
While I really like the sound and details, these headphones are wrecking my ears. I'm constantly dealing with inner ear pain with these headphones, even at low volumes. I'm giving them to my partner. Hopefully she doesn't experience pain. I'm afraid to try any other closed backs.

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #148 of 238
While I really like the sound and details, these headphones are wrecking my ears. I'm constantly dealing with inner ear pain with these headphones, even at low volumes. I'm giving them to my partner. Hopefully she doesn't experience pain. I'm afraid to try any other closed backs.

The lumpy response, especially in the midrange, those bumps hurt in the worst areas of our hearing sensitivity. That's why I could not tolerate them very long myself.

May 12, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #149 of 238
interesting banner from gearspace.com... would be nice to see open back headphones this time

AA.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back